立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 93|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文二九

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
89.        This advertisement for "How to Write a Screenplay..." concludes that a writer is
3 K6 r& d$ c6 ]# M+ @, cmore likely to be successful by writing original screenplays than by writing books. The
9 }9 _' \! a  zad's reasoning is based on two claims: (1) the average film tends to be more profitable ; K2 o0 u$ f# {' q0 B. R
than even best-selling books, and (2) film producers are more likely to make movies , g! h( G' B/ z; Y
based on original screenplays than on books because in recent years the films that have
. n7 V- \0 J6 l* |" L6 _% C+ a6 l7 O( @sold the most tickets have usually been based on original screenplays. I find the ad   B' V; D) w* D$ T% f0 s
unconvincing, on three grounds.
0 g4 h1 M2 n; i$ e' r1 }8 F      First, the mere fact that ticket sales in recent years for screenplay-based movies 5 x, l, A! p6 \! p0 _* S4 P, o
have exceeded those for book-based movies is insufficient evidence to conclude that : j) H* \4 \6 x; B0 w8 _
writing screenplays now provides greater financial opportunity for writers. Ticket-sale
' o' T/ A9 L4 p  _. Gstatistics from only a few recent years are not necessarily a good indicator of future
/ ^/ i% @  F( a* z) P( f9 ]& ~2 Mtrends. It is possible that fees paid by movie studios for screenplays might decrease in 7 j+ \* O+ H( v8 M( u
the future relative to those for book rights. Moreover. the argument is based on number
' O% Y8 c. i' ~% {. Cof ticket sales, not on movie-studio profits or writer's Sees. It is possible that studio
6 v* w5 A4 v6 Q( F& mprofits and writer fees have actually been greater recently for book-based movies than
! x. D$ D8 ^* f& x4 rfor those based on original screenplays.
7 P! S2 H7 \/ v% E) l      Another problem with the ad is that it assumes a writer must make an either-or
5 {8 F3 G) q2 x( [# u& `2 Z! |choice from the outset between writing books and writing screenplays. The argument * X8 p* |) A# q' z: _/ m) x
fails to rule out the possibility that a writer engage in both types of writing as well as
. k) i  N: [9 U7 a6 D# \# fother types. In fact. a writer may be more successful by doing so. Writing in various   m; l- p9 C0 N" z% \
genres might improve one's effectiveness in each of them. Also, writing a book may be 6 a' y9 J- `) x! J. l- E5 t6 x
an effective first step to producing a screenplay. In any event, the ad provides no
4 ]: |- D' g) V- f3 [( w) |: d4 djustification for the mutually exclusive choice it imposes on the writer.
. ^) N% s: L1 N, P: ^1 V: C      A third problem with the ad is its ambiguous use of the word "successful." The
/ j3 i; J- `% N( U  Jargument simply equates success with movie ticket sales. However, many writers may
. ?  E% r+ V2 E6 ~8 n; gdefine writing success in other terms, such as intellectual or artistic fulfillment. The ad's
, \6 n' V! o$ x% k+ r1 T" v; Ladvice that writing screenplays is the best way to achieve writing success ignores other
$ V- k  e& m+ W' [definitions of success.
% X# {1 @# _' h      In conclusion, this quick pitch for a book is based on simplistic assumptions about
& t6 v  m7 T& S0 P; jticket sales and writer fees, and on an overly narrow definition of success in writing. To + p& m- ?6 S  R% B4 N3 I
better evaluate this argument, at the very least we would need to know the number of
/ y* Y6 w. z1 q& syears the cited statistic was based on, and the extent to which ticket sales reflect movie
# \% z; E& ~: W$ M* ]# `+ `studio profits and writer fees.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 08:22 , Processed in 0.209466 second(s), 21 queries .