立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 111|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文一

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
59.        The author contends that it makes good sense to reduce funding for mining 7 z- F1 ]: B6 p% w( L8 O
regulation, because regulatory problems with over-mining and pollution will be solved
8 g+ d# v' C4 h# cwhen scientists learn how to create large amounts of copper from other chemical - Q* q: z4 x: j& Q' {# a# B, f
elements. One reason the author gives for this conclusion is that the problem of over-7 C" b, j/ z6 C! d9 h  @1 O
mining will be quickly eliminated when the amount of potentially available copper is no ! B, Z! Y0 ?4 g& X: D: D
longer limited by the quantity of actual copper deposits. Another reason given is that % ~1 P  @4 ]2 Q( K: G
pollution problems created by production of synthetic copper substitutes will be
0 D; _- N4 y' v5 {9 Aeliminated when manufacturers no longer depend on substitutes. This argument is weak & u1 N$ V  |4 J
because the conclusion goes beyond the scope of the premises and because the ' Y  c- |9 G9 h
argument relies on questionable assumptions.! \; R3 b) J2 y, a% K
      To begin with, the wording of the conclusion suggests that funding for mining $ G+ r" o2 L- q" I
regulation generally should be reduced, yet the premises are about copper mining only. ' G  w- {: c. p
There are many mined resources other than copper; advances in copper synthesis
7 }/ \6 F' h/ V) }$ Utechnology will in all likelihood have no bearing on whether regulation of other kinds of
  E2 |! D3 ]- ?; p: Wmining should be changed.
9 h1 o5 U) H4 ^4 u2 i        Furthermore, the argument depends on the assumption that copper mining will
: b$ s$ ^4 y( j; M* ?( E( Qslow down once copper can be chemically synthesized. However, the author provides
5 M: m" i) {0 B) z" U4 v& k4 Q! nno evidence to substantiate this assumption. Moreover, it is entirely possible that copper
' p2 x( A# z! R7 \- W6 a7 i- ~mining will remain less expensive than copper synthesis. If so, there will be no
$ z( g: N* X6 y% O4 u0 x4 X) \incentives, outside of regulatory ones, to slow down copper mining. In a word, the
3 z8 }( s# l( L5 L0 _4 ?( z3 n" Pproblem of over-mining will remain.. `0 y+ K# B3 A- i3 u
      Finally, the argument relies on the assumption that synthesizing copper will not $ \8 ?* o! Z# C4 W: `
create the same kind of pollution problems as those resulting from the synthesis of # J7 E! e  }: _4 [: N% \& L
copper substitutes. However, the author provides no evidence to substantiate this
9 u3 h; q: H# ?% xassumption. Without such evidence, we cannot accept the premise that pollution
7 Z# B6 Y8 {  P$ Xproblems will be eliminated by switching from producing copper substitutes to
, n9 Q0 @  `) G1 G" }) kproducing copper itself.; Y0 a* k; |; H. u- A. }* M
      in conclusion, I am not convinced on the basis of this argument that the time has . U) @, y# Z$ ]! D: y  T$ n1 i/ X
come to cut funding for the regulation of mining in general, or even for the regulation of
- p  p6 Y1 M- z, y( Ocopper mining in particular. To strengthen the argument, the author must restrict the ' y, L3 Y7 E/ R5 M' v0 ~( ?
scope of the conclusion to copper mining rather than to mining in general. The author
# t- o1 M) G5 T( R  J- V. {must also provide support for the two assumptions underlying the argument.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 11:33 , Processed in 0.216745 second(s), 21 queries .