QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 124|回复: 1

[职称英语模拟] 2013年职称英语理工类阅读判断精选练习题(11)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 23:30:26 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
2013年职称英语理工类阅读判断精选练习题(11)
* }) R4 U) }) l' A: b0 D# }4 ~  On a Monday morning in July, the world's first atom bomb exploded in the New Mexico desert. Forty seconds later, the shock waves reached the base camp where the Italian-American physicist Enrico Fermi and his team stood. After a mental calculation, Fermi announced to his team that the bomb's energy had equated 10,000 tons of TNT. The bomb team was impressed, but not surprised. Fermi's genius was known throughout the scientific world. In 1938 he had won a Nobel Prize. Four years later he produced the first nuclear chain reaction, leading us into the nuclear age. Since Fermi's death in 1954,no physicist has been at once a master experimentalist and a leading theoretician. ! R- M# c" l% N( x
  Like all virtuosos, Fermi had a distinctive style. He preferred the most direct route to an answer. He was very good at dividing difficult problems into small, manageable bits--talent we all can use in our daily lives. % Z9 }; Z$ ?! ^0 k/ ^5 }2 b5 ^
  To develop this talent in his students. Fermi would suggest a type of question now known as a Fermi problem. Upon first hearing one of these, you haven't the remotest notion of the answer, and you feel certain that too little information had been given to solve it. Yet when the problem is broken into sub-problems, each answerable without the help of experts or books, you can come close to the exact solution.
) V! b8 ]/ |5 O7 n7 _% K  Suppose you want to determine Earth's circumference without looking it up. Everyone knows that New York and Los Angeles are about 3,000 miles apart and that the time difference between them is three hours. Three hours is one-eighth of a day, and a day is the time it takes the planet to complete one rotation, so its circumference must be eight times 3,000 or 24,000 miles. This answer differs from the true value, 24,902.45 miles, by less than four percent. : @' K$ u- G! a# |0 O! w
) P; A6 }- k2 H8 u2 n4 A; M
  Ultimately the value of dealing with everyday problems the way Fermi did lies in the rewards of making independent discoveries and inventions. It doesn't matter whether the discovery is as important as determining the power of an atom or as small as measuring the distance between New York and Los Angeles. Looking up the answer, or letting someone else find it, deprives you of the pleasure and pride that accompany creativity, and deprives you of an experience that builds up self-confidence. Thus, approaching personal dilemmas as Fermi problems can become a habit that enriches your life.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-15 23:30:27 | 显示全部楼层

2013年职称英语理工类阅读判断精选练习题(11)

16 Fermi's team was impressed by Fermi's announcement in the base camp because he could even work out the power of the atom bomb in his mind. </p>  A Right 6 x# A1 W$ V5 Z
  B Wrong 5 I9 {! M# V3 f" S1 X" M% r
  C Not mentioned
5 o) A8 i* Q& o: Y- X- u; z  ?3 J3 f  17 Fermi, an experimentalist as well as a theoretician, won a Nobel Prize for producing the first nuclear chain reaction in the world.   F! l* X  A( O8 [) C
  A Right
% W( i/ O, @, B/ E3 K# M  B Wrong
# d: y. [% r% C3 U- ~0 g  C Not mentioned
3 }3 b, N4 R$ X; v  18 Dividing a big problem into small problems is a talent Fermi had and a talent that has practical value in life.
6 Q* w! l: A; n- B6 R9 i  A Right
7 ?! _( C& D( A& V  B Wrong 5 {/ t0 @6 ]4 s- v
  C Not mentioned 8 o5 m, `0 r* u
  19 Fermi problem is to develop the talent of breaking a seemingly unanswerable problem into sub-problems and finding the solution to it, which is a typical Fermi problem. ; k( V7 l6 ^+ B3 n! Y" H6 D; p
  A Right
5 s, r8 f: W0 T& @  B Wrong
, \/ d5 J0 L  a/ V4 P: Y  C Not mentioned 6 R6 v% @6 Z% N: F2 X$ d. U5 H- z" J
  20 Then the fourth paragraph tells us how Fermi solved the problem of earth's circumference without looking up.
* d% |( D: |9 m( z) |/ e  A Right
( c; O* l% [1 \. ^! Q& K4 n. p  B Wrong 1 S2 h# F" g8 g
  C Not mentioned : a: T, j7 M' _: q0 h! m+ V
  21 The last paragraph concludes the whole writing by stressing the value of important inventions and small discoveries.
$ s& Q& s2 b9 e) t2 w8 I! ]  A Right
/ T& s) ~: e$ R2 Q9 K- s9 J5 b) [& @$ t  B Wrong + n: m7 V3 L5 x/ k1 v
  C Not mentioned " E6 q5 ]) F7 j7 a+ C' K6 H& E8 G$ E
  22 Fermi was famous for inventing a device to calculate bomb's energy accurately.
; `* [' g! T) G7 K  A Right $ V4 _6 W8 }! {
  B Wrong
5 N+ w' i: b, J, m  C Not mentioned www.examw.com* D# q' S' B1 {. S- f% H
  16 A答案在第一段中可以找到。Fermi在作了一番mental calculation以后,得出了该原子弹具有相当于10,000吨TNT的爆炸力。 ; R& y( ^5 H' P1 I3 a# W# S
  17 B Fermi在1938年获诺贝尔奖,四年以后才建立核锁反应。
* Z) t  y. A1 p( i  18 A第二段的第三句是答案的依据。这个句子是:He was very good at dividing difficult problems into small,manageable bits--talent we all can use in our daily lives.
/ i/ x0 V( o9 S) b2 L$ w  19 A答案的依据是第三段的内容。第一句中的this talent指第二段提到的将难以解决的问题分解成几个容易处理的小问题。第三段对这种解决问题的方法又进一步作了描写。 1 K/ }' l0 V* V  X; f8 j
  20 B第四段是为第二段和第三段的内容提供实际例子,即Fermi problem的实际运用,并不是Fermi本人运用Fermi解决问题的方法约略推算出地球的周长。
: `4 I' Y7 f' v9 o' b  21 B最后一段是全篇的结论,强调了Fermi problem的价值:the rewards of making independent discoveries and inventions。
$ N) \  ^, e  ]( k3 \# {/ h  22 C文章根本没有提到他发明了一台能精确计量炸弹能量的仪器。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-7 09:34 , Processed in 0.427795 second(s), 23 queries .