只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 125|回复: 1

[职称英语模拟] 2013年职称英语理工类阅读判断精选练习题(30)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 23:30:26 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
2013年职称英语理工类阅读判断精选练习题(30)  H. k  I8 N! O/ k( h# U
 Earth Rocks On
+ J9 O' B! @- A  Most of the time, the ground feels solid beneath our feet. That's comforting. But it's also misleading because there's actually a lot going on underground. Masses of land (called plates) slip, slide, and bump against each other, slowly changing the shape of continents and oceans over millions and billions of years.
9 P: L' N/ _5 G) h' @/ ?* p  Scientists know that Earth formed about 4.5 billion years ago. They also know that our planet was hot at first. As it cooled, its outermost layer, called the crust, eventually formed moving plates. Exactly when this shift happened, however, is an open question转自:考试网 - [Examw.Com].
7 j1 ?) V; u7 i. D  Now, an international group of researchers has an answer. They've found new evidence suggesting that Earth's crust started shifting at least 3.8 billion years ago. The new estimate is 1.3 billion years earlier than previous ones.
- m# w$ p7 J/ h' f, w8 X  Not long before 3.8 billion years ago, lots of asteroids were pummeling Earth, keeping its crust in a hot, molten state. After the hard crust formed, much of it sank at various times into the planet's hot insides. There, it melted before returning to the surface as lava. 5 ]- q+ O7 \5 Y7 E# a4 F
  In some places, however, the crust never sank. One of the oldest such places is in Greenland, in an area called the Isua supracrustal(上地壳) belt. The rocky crust there is between 3.7 and 3.8 billion years old. The belt was once part of the seafloor, but now it is exposed to air.
, _3 ^6 _  J4 I  The researchers recently look at the Isua supracrustal belt. They noticed long, parallel cracks in the rock that have been filled in with a type of volcanic rock. % ~, f9 g2 T, x8 S+ q  K
  To explain this structure, the scientists propose that tension in the crust caused the seafloor to crack open long ago. Hot, liquid rock, called magma(岩浆), flowed up slowly from deep inside Earth to fill the cracks. Finally, the area cooled, forming what we see today. - v6 R& ?2 h. M# o" `

$ v' @# }# T- b9 a( i/ F  That explanation, plus chemical clues inside the rock, suggests that the Isua supracrustal belt was once part of a plate under tne ocean, beginning around 3.8 billion years ago.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-15 23:30:27 | 显示全部楼层

2013年职称英语理工类阅读判断精选练习题(30)

</p>  16. The ground beneath our feet is indeed still. 外语学习网6 C+ a, X- b5 E1 _6 [4 p
  A. Right  B. Wrong   C. Not mentioned # d3 d5 H  P7 {" o% h; h2 ~. F
  17. The shape of lands and oceans are slowly changed with the movements of plates. $ k6 R$ _% {2 |) H0 U& V' m: a
  A. Right   B. Wrong   C. Not mentioned - y+ t% v0 u* }8 `; [7 Y, e, n% B  O
  18. Earth cooled down shortly after it was formed.
7 }# n6 \5 r  v( H" ^  A. Right   B. Wrong  C. Not mentioned
& V, f' N7 j5 k" d2 ?  19. Scientists once estimated that Earth’s crust started shifting three billion years ago. 9 x; t; @; s$ ]
  A. Right   B. Wrong  C. Not mentioned ) N, Q  t/ E' h
  20. It took a long time for the melted crust to become hard.
1 P' \: O" I( a: o2 Y; M  A. Right   B. Wrong  C. Not mentioned
) W( N$ }6 B& Z8 x6 G  21. The formation of the Isua supracrustal belt is thought to have started about 3.8 billion years ago. ; S3 W  d9 C+ ]$ l0 H; x, [
  A. Right   B. Wrong  C. Not mentioned
- c/ ~4 T3 j; A1 ?; x! t8 t+ t  22. The lsua supracrustal belt is now a popular holiday resort. $ X1 g8 C- K6 c4 b
  A. Right   B. Wrong  C. Not mentioned
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-6 23:06 , Processed in 0.199439 second(s), 23 queries .