QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 56|回复: 0

[综合类英语] 2011年职称英语考试综合类经典阅读练习7

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 23:46:35 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
David Jones and His Salary% E0 K( b) k" @! J" `! J
Computer programmer David Jones earns £35,000 a year designing new computer games, yet he cannot find a bank prepared to let him have a cheque card. Instead, he has been told to wait another two years, until he is 18., S: [" a1 _! _4 P% u9 M  `
The 16-year-old works for a small firm In Liverpool, where the problem of most young people of his age is finding a job. David's firm releases two new games for the home computer market each month.: i: H0 }( U, _$ ]$ T
But David's biggest headache is what to do with his money. Despite his salary, earned buy inventing new programs, with bonus payments and profit-sharing, he cannot drive a car, buy a house, or obtain credit cards.
  ^6 ?; }1 Y4 @2 gHe lives with his parents in Liverpool. His company has to pay £150 a month in taxi fares to get him the five miles to work and back every day because David cannot drive.
6 t0 I9 s; M# c3 k5 w, XDavid got his job with the Liverpool-based company four months ago, a year after leaving school and working for a time in a computer shop. "I got the job because the people who run the firm knew I had already written some programs," he said.. N, p/ O3 V& V3 s# X
"I suppose £35,000 sounds a lot but I hope it will come to more than that his year." He spends some of his money on records and clothes, and gives his mother £20 a week. But most of his spare time is spent working.
. {4 J% q+ ^+ N9 m"unfortunately, computing was not part of our studies at school," he said. "But I had been studying it in books and magazines for four years in my spare time. I knew what I wanted to do and never considered staying on at school. Most people in this business are fairly young, anyway."- }" I2 R3 q' d4 w* o
David added: "I would like to earn a million and I suppose early retirement is a possibility. You never know when the market might disappear."' ]* y4 k+ X1 H6 V8 ~
Exercise) K  x' ^5 `4 `9 I: _3 b
1. Why is David different from other young people of his age?
" B& f1 P8 D8 t4 m: `% d4 XA) Because he earns an extremely high salary.; J% o9 c- K" R) {4 k0 X' ]) G
B) Because he is not unemployed.
$ V9 G' O8 o) _C) Because he does not go out much.
' O0 m, @6 j( K0 m2 @D) Because he lives at home with his parents., M8 Y  \9 c& {% ]8 h
2. David's greatest problem is) r( Q6 I  y2 ^4 F
A) finding a bank that will treat him as an adult. 4 B9 z* I6 E) n  `; M
B) inventing computer games.
1 s0 Y  j" U2 L6 I1 D6 }6 M( [C) spending his salary. 
5 G) Y5 u% V& ^% [  N, L% uD) learning to drive.% k. p7 J8 _  Q) m4 O, X
3. He was employed by the company because$ [3 [8 Z7 [& I/ v! f
A) he had worked in a computer shop.) _4 k; h4 @) ~! Y5 K" k! f: w
B) he had written some computer programs.
: P- I: }$ v" s0 e$ NC) he had worked very hard. ' l7 p# ]& ]4 \. U' |9 m! ^& S) g
D) he had learned to use computers at school.: l5 k9 c& \8 Z6 n0 T
4. He left school because- B; p, ]( C3 _$ k4 V8 S
A) he did not enjoy school# A4 x- o7 c8 `- W
B) he wanted to work with computers and staying at school did not help him.! \5 \( K" D" a* {! I/ w
C) he was afraid of getting too old to start computing.+ v8 H# T5 n: _  _
D) he wanted to earn a lot of money.
: o- A' `1 D" ]8 |, ^+ t" K/ a/ r5. Why does David think he might retire early?* n( Z. e1 P& ?; t) Z# U$ d7 X
A) Because you have to be young to write computer programs.: ]" h: x0 d6 F* E: `- o
B) Because he wants to stop working when he is a millionaire.. C- Q' E* D5 |6 X
C) Because he thinks computer games might not always sell so well.
/ C: B3 u: o2 F5 k; xD) Because he thinks his firm might go bankrupt.# P3 D6 C/ e2 L& j
Keys:ACBBC
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-9-21 17:40 , Processed in 0.225567 second(s), 21 queries .