只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 50|回复: 0

[综合类英语] 2012职称英语综合类完形填空练习题(十)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 23:46:35 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
  PASSAGE 20
0 w! b! \: J) R9 g% l* C  Singing Alarms Could Save the Blind
* `. ~; I" u+ g. G. U( u- w  If you cannot see, you may not be able to find your way out of a burning building-and that could be fatal. A company in Leeds could change all that__1__ directional sound alarms capable of guiding you to the exit.
. k7 i' g' F) b  Sound Alert, a company__2__ the University of Leeds, is installing the alarms in a residential home for__3__ people in Sommerset and a resource centre for the blind in Cumbria.__4__produce a wide range of frequencies that enable the brain to determine the __5__ is coming from.
4 t- E: C( m+ r! |& q' V  Deborah Withington of Sound Alert says that the alarms use most of the frequencies that can be __6__ by humans. "It is a burst of white noise__7__ people say sounds like static on the radio," he says. "Its life-saving potential is great"
( w9 c* I4 A" V' Q! z9 g1 c; ?7 B, \  She conducted an experiment in which people were filmed by thermal-imaging cameras trying to find their way out of a large__8__ room. It__9__ them nearly our minutes to find the door__10__ a sound alarm, but only 15 seconds with one.: s! q! _7 `" `1 y5 X7 R* x$ v% ]
  Withington studies how the brain__11__ sounds at the university. She says that the __12__ of a wide band of frequencies can be pinpointed more easily than the source of a narrow band. Alarms__13__ on the same concept have already been installed on emergency vehicles.
# `9 R6 n/ T. m  The alarms will also include rising or falling frequencies to indicate whether people should go up__14__ down stairs. They were__15__ with the aid of a large grant from British Nuclear Fuels.- A7 z& E2 S$ B) r9 B
  1. A) without B)with C)having D)selling
) ^$ x5 u' _" j/ y3 \  2. A) run by B)changed by C) decorated by D)criticized by. J) `% J8 K# Z- i
  3. A) slow B)deaf C)blind D)lame) `, L7 |7 c% d
  4. A) Alarms B) Alarm C) The alarm D) The alarms4 g6 W1 i; i% Y& e
  5. A) noise B) sound C) music D) bell% Z' U& E" k: s5 t. ?
  6. A) watched B) produced C) learnt D) heard0 Y3 d9 Z1 p7 m$ J) i
  7. A) where B) what C) that D) how
% f. Q  m+ ?$ ]0 Q0 a0 l/ z  8. A) smoked B) smoke-filled C) filled with smoke D) smoke-filling
: W6 F7 d. u( Q  9. A) has taken B) takes C) took D) will take
# ^+ `1 O# Z1 A. G. l' [& w  F  10. A) on B) near C) without D) from
6 c; W+ c1 K' ]9 h  11. A) processes B) produces C) possesses D) proceeds5 N- E! P# \2 \8 R4 Z
  12. A) feature B) quality C)diagram D) source
7 |# i7 o. e3 J; P7 }# Y8 q  13. A) basis on B) base on C) basing on D) based on" c) ^" _$ }2 X8 {
  14. A) or B) and C) but D) otherwise) g' T+ @5 O+ S/ e
  15. A) developed B) determined C) discovered D) delivered4 H1 g" r0 N! ^: N0 J
  key: BACDB DCBCC ADDAA0 M! @8 A; I2 Z% N
  PASSAGE 21- ~0 x( x6 m( J& u0 Q
  The Greatest Mystery of Whales
( b0 v9 O7 V. D( X) S/ S  The whale is a mammal - warm-blooded, air-breathing, giving birth to its young alive, sucking them-and, like all mammals, originated on land. There are many signs of this. __1__ front flippers, used for steering and stability, are traces of feet.  [8 ~7 c+ W& u) X) F
  Immense strength is built into the great body of the big whales, and in fact most of a whale's body is one gigantic muscle. The blue whale's pulling __2__ has been estimated at 400 horsepower. One specimen was reported to have __3__ a whaling vessel for seven hours at the __4__ of eight knots.
  n& Y$ _8 d' N3 M" V  An enraged whale will attack a ship. A famous __5__ of this was the fate of whaler Essex, which was sunk __6__ South America early in the last century. More recently, steel ships have had their plates buckled in the same way. Sperm whales were known to __7__ the old-time whaleboats in their jaws and crush them.& U. z1 n3 Y# k% R1 g9 T" L" @
  The greatest mystery of whales is their diving ability. The sperm whale __8__ the bottom for his favourite food, the octopus. __9__ he is known to go as far down as 3,200 feet, where the pressure is 1,400 pounds, to the square inch. Doing __10__ he will remain submerged as long as one hour. Two feats are involved in this : storing up enough __11__(all whales are air-breathed) and withstanding the great change in pressure. Just __12__ he dose it scientists have not determined. It is believed that some of the oxygen is stored in a special system of blood vessels, rather than just held in the lungs. And __13__ that a special kind of oil in his head is some sort of compensating mechanism that automatically adjusts the internal pressure of his body. But __14__ you can't bring a live whale into the laboratory for study, no one __15__ just how these things work." g. m2 ?' G& F5 }7 V' X
  EXERCISE:4 G* D7 k, e0 m" a3 P/ _3 t8 \- }
  1. A)Their B)His C)Theirs D)Its* w- @3 Z) y8 y( E# c* r0 k
  2. A)strength B)width C)height D)length3 M# L+ G. f% W0 e* h3 K
  3. A)eaten B)crashed C)towed D)lifted
7 Y& l9 I1 c8 f) F; o( ~1 |$ `, _  4. A)distance B)rate C)voyage D)sail  p- f3 u5 P( y" B
  5. A)picture B)film C)example D)book
1 K: W* u3 h% O  6. A)off the coast of B)of the coast of C0away the coast of D)in the coast of* {5 a  {' v; O/ ~5 g; b
  7. A)hit B)seize C)damage D)overturn
' f  v  K/ D$ G, G3 {  8. A)sink to B)rest on C)dive to D)hide on' G- a2 F. @. S+ K- C' ~
  9. A)In that search B)Because of this C)In spite of that D)In support of this4 |. i) R8 `7 O7 \& I3 U7 I6 p# @3 F
  10. A)so B)such C)above D)the same
& W3 C, s! j  b6 Y* @. \! k  11. A)air B)oxygen C)energy D)heat, U) f2 b" c- ~% b- o8 P9 U
  12. A)what B)where C)how D)when
4 q5 m/ D% [* F3 T3 P! T% y  13. A)it is believed B)he believes C)we believe D)it believes+ r+ D! q9 @! i" T0 [, J
  14. A)because of B)due to C)since D)owing to
9 B* u: k* g5 V7 y  15. A)communicates B)knows C)hears D)develops
! y3 X9 T9 [/ h6 H  KEY:D A C B C A B C A A B C A C B
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-9-21 20:26 , Processed in 0.503346 second(s), 21 queries .