扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 103|回复: 1

[综合类英语] 职称英语综合类完形填空讲义10

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 23:46:35 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
PASSAGE 20  
! o- D: Q1 B+ b) [* ?Singing Alarms Could Save the Blind
7 n* Z4 w) ^% P4 ^& T! s) O  K: v0 d  K" m& x1 ], g8 g

: t6 K% e- z0 `/ i5 u% j( }4 o/ b  If you cannot see, you may not be able to find your way out of a burning building-and that could be fatal. A company in Leeds could change all that__1__ directional sound alarms capable of guiding you to the exit. : c4 D+ M' Z/ }3 T
  Sound Alert, a company__2__ the University of Leeds, is installing the alarms in a residential home for__3__ people in Sommerset and a resource centre for the blind in Cumbria.__4__produce a wide range of frequencies that enable the brain to determine the __5__ is coming from.
' X/ b! x1 H0 d( L* X  Deborah Withington of Sound Alert says that the alarms use most of the frequencies that can be __6__ by humans. "It is a burst of white noise__7__ people say sounds like static on the radio," he says. "Its life-saving potential is great"
. [( E7 W% A6 _. T0 j  She conducted an experiment in which people were filmed by thermal-imaging cameras trying to find their way out of a large__8__ room. It__9__ them nearly our minutes to find the door__10__ a sound alarm, but only 15 seconds with one.
& t' j( c9 F! k  Withington studies how the brain__11__ sounds at the university. She says that the __12__ of a wide band of frequencies can be pinpointed more easily than the source of a narrow band. Alarms__13__ on the same concept have already been installed on emergency vehicles.
+ }! y# F# X+ b0 k  The alarms will also include rising or falling frequencies to indicate whether people should go up__14__ down stairs. They were__15__ with the aid of a large grant from British Nuclear Fuels.  ( ^1 e" J8 a+ @! f* D
1. A) without B)with C)having D)selling
% b% ^+ J/ L2 ]- v# b" [2. A) run by B)changed by C) decorated by D)criticized by
5 w: r) x$ N4 g* H3. A) slow B)deaf C)blind D)lame * [8 N7 s# U3 Q" M, A2 s  ^
4. A) Alarms B) Alarm C) The alarm D) The alarms   f9 T$ u, p9 F9 s4 f% \& X& ~( {  \
5. A) noise B) sound C) music D) bell 3 {/ X) L7 _% x7 q
6. A) watched B) produced C) learnt D) heard
+ @% G  d- [; W! t$ N! e7. A) where B) what C) that D) how 2 K, `1 ?- y: t' y
8. A) smoked B) smoke-filled C) filled with smoke D) smoke-filling , C3 z/ i+ U: q/ {
9. A) has taken B) takes C) took D) will take & ]3 ]* X$ w4 L3 g5 \7 f' s
10. A) on B) near C) without D) from
: H6 U2 o4 E3 T& I11. A) processes B) produces C) possesses D) proceeds 2 i) Z$ I0 e( ^% ^# ^, Z4 N% l
12. A) feature B) quality C)diagram D) source 8 ^" H) T0 X8 W  ~9 {. I' a: Z) C
13. A) basis on B) base on C) basing on D) based on ; t+ H% r, i- Y: K$ V" s
14. A) or B) and C) but D) otherwise 2 S& r5 r% E7 r
15. A) developed B) determined C) discovered D) delivered 9 O7 ~5 |/ Q% @  ?8 o

x1 j% g; z1 J, s* okey: BACDB DCBCC ADDAA  5 Q/ f) v) v1 ~% m! h! s+ }
( S* ~1 n8 G& M! g# b- x
4 x/ |0 k" w  W
5 T, [% _: f' {1 m/ p4 }. g' w- O
PASSAGE 21  
5 D" C3 o0 @" W. P4 [The Greatest Mystery of Whales
: r) @. E* u1 {3 n+ Z, r2 z7 w# _; f9 j

( u" ^: m* u; j6 p; E  The whale is a mammal - warm-blooded, air-breathing, giving birth to its young alive, sucking them-and, like all mammals, originated on land. There are many signs of this. __1__ front flippers, used for steering and stability, are traces of feet.
; T, P. G+ Y; u7 ~. U* a% v1 a  Immense strength is built into the great body of the big whales, and in fact most of a whale’s body is one gigantic muscle. The blue whale’s pulling __2__ has been estimated at 400 horsepower. One specimen was reported to have __3__ a whaling vessel for seven hours at the __4__ of eight knots.
/ ]" H( D  `1 F+ b/ A# {  An enraged whale will attack a ship. A famous __5__ of this was the fate of whaler Essex, which was sunk __6__ South America early in the last century. More recently, steel ships have had their plates buckled in the same way. Sperm whales were known to __7__ the old-time whaleboats in their jaws and crush them.
% o/ o' L' w( N( D" q. i6 N; G  The greatest mystery of whales is their diving ability. The sperm whale __8__ the bottom for his favourite food, the octopus. __9__ he is known to go as far down as 3,200 feet, where the pressure is 1,400 pounds, to the square inch. Doing __10__ he will remain submerged as long as one hour. Two feats are involved in this : storing up enough __11__(all whales are air-breathed) and withstanding the great change in pressure. Just __12__ he dose it scientists have not determined. It is believed that some of the oxygen is stored in a special system of blood vessels, rather than just held in the lungs. And __13__ that a special kind of oil in his head is some sort of compensating mechanism that automatically adjusts the internal pressure of his body. But __14__ you can’t bring a live whale into the laboratory for study, no one __15__ just how these things work.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-15 23:46:36 | 显示全部楼层

职称英语综合类完形填空讲义10

EXERCISE:
1 m6 E1 c1 {& ^; e
- `% M2 n) T, x- S( j7 Z8 j9 ?1. A)Their B)His C)Theirs D)Its & Y2 ~: ~) [6 L: W3 m
2. A)strength B)width C)height D)length
5 z7 N! c0 M4 T* e& b% g# J3. A)eaten B)crashed C)towed D)lifted
" b/ W7 i* T0 e  A4. A)distance B)rate C)voyage D)sail 5 b7 |) C* A% e* d* s: S
5. A)picture B)film C)example D)book - d6 |" W) {7 {- e. N
6. A)off the coast of B)of the coast of C0away the coast of D)in the coast of
4 _$ G" I" Z, c( m" S7 j, L9 Z7. A)hit B)seize C)damage D)overturn
! ~/ M7 O4 W- E2 u6 N7 R8. A)sink to B)rest on C)dive to D)hide on 4 D9 A# B4 b- z+ [& Q5 ?/ F, n
9. A)In that search B)Because of this C)In spite of that D)In support of this + Q% }9 Y& L1 q) n4 C0 u
10. A)so B)such C)above D)the same ( f% O, y& E# ?# `" k, J! Y
11. A)air B)oxygen C)energy D)heat
7 G, X* B1 g' v2 }4 ]12. A)what B)where C)how D)when , V2 K$ d6 p' z- B
13. A)it is believed B)he believes C)we believe D)it believes 4 D/ B' Q( D2 a, z
14. A)because of B)due to C)since D)owing to
7 }$ t% {  N# ?% d, l15. A)communicates B)knows C)hears D)develops
6 M+ o, e4 X# @  ?% C
  n; F. ?# @7 }KEY:D A C B C A B C A A B C A C B
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-9-22 00:51 , Processed in 0.291571 second(s), 23 queries .