只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 156|回复: 2

[卫生类英语] 2010年职称英语考试:卫生B模拟试题(4)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 23:57:33 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
四、阅读理解   第一篇# f& v5 I, Z0 z6 n. G  }6 c
  A Gay(n. 同性恋) Biologist(n. 生物学家)3 |8 E- b& S9 r
  Molecular biologist Dean Hammer has blue eyes, light brown hair and a good sense of humor. He smokes cigarettes, spends long hours in an old laboratory at the US National Institute of Health, and in his free time climbs up cliffs and points his skis down steep slopes. He also happens to be openly, matter-of-factly gay.3 y/ E" b7 p" |  g
  What is it that makes Hammer who he is? What, for that matter, accounts for the talents and traits that make up anyone’s personality? Hammer is not content merely to ask such questions; he is trying to answer them as well. A pioneer in the field of molecular psychology, Hammer is exploring the role genes play in governing the very core of our individuality. To a remarkable extent, his work on what might be called the gay, thrill-seeking and quit-smoking genes reflects how own genetic predispositions., m" ~: g& j, \  X$ Y, T: m
  That work, which has appeared mostly in scientific journals, has been gathered into an accessible and quite readable form in Hammer’s creative new book, Living with Our Genes. “you have about as much choice in some aspect of your personality.” Hamer and co-author Peter Copeland write in the introductory chapter, “as you do in the shape of your nose or the size of your feet.”
4 b: |/ V* T0 A' \9 d0 U  Until recently, research into behavioral genetics was dominated by psychiatrists and psychologists, who based their most compelling conclusions about the importance of genes on studies of identical twins. For example, psychologist Michael Bailey of Northwestern University famously demonstrated that if one identical twin is gay, there is about a 50% likelihood that the other will be too. Seven years ago, Hamer picked up where the twin studies left off, homing in on specific strips of DNA that appear to influence everything from mood to sexual orientation.
5 F: f' f6 ?  `/ n  Hamer switched to behavioral genetics from basic research, after receiving his doctorate from Harvard, he spent more than a decade studying the biochemistry of a protein that cells use to metabolize heavy metals like copper and zinc. As he was about to turn 40, however, Hamer suddenly realized he had learned as much about the protein as he cared to. “Frankly, I was bored, ”he remembers, “and ready for something new.”
0 P7 C' {: a6 c( p& A7 h) d4 [  Homosexual behavior, in particular, seemed ripe for exploration because few scientists had dared tackle such an emotionally and politically charged subject. “Im gay,” Hamer says with a shrug, “but that was not a major motivation. It was more of a question of intellectual curiosity—and the fact that no one else was doing this sort of research”
7 I& U. d3 V7 o/ j. v: }  31 The first paragraph describes Hamer’s! J. {6 t: m4 A' f4 O' q- Y# F
  A looks, hobbies and character.
0 u0 Y6 I2 }' M8 E4 Q1 ?8 n  B viewpoint on homosexuality.: w0 C2 d; u" b3 h" o- _
  C unique life-style.
5 B6 V" M0 f8 d0 e5 \  D scientific research work.. Z% F4 Q1 }* z2 T& U
  32 Hamer was a9 a% {; M0 x. d+ ~* J
  A psychiatrist.
0 K' v1 B4 p& Q9 R7 E  B physiologist.% o; {$ v' `. g6 u1 d
  C chemist.
! H& t' _+ Q' H; S0 p* ^# M  D biologist.
; o$ Z: P: M4 U0 p& d  33 What is Hamer doing now?, k0 v" }. x9 e. p! y9 S
  A He is exploring the role of genes in deciding one’s intelligence.3 M) Z4 X1 y6 T9 f0 S, v
  B He is exploring the role of genes in deciding one’s personality.8 S1 D2 W' m, O: j/ t
  C He is writing a book entitled “Live with Our Genes.”
# P! f; S7 F$ V1 R7 ^3 }6 o1 f  D He is trying to answer some questions on a test paper.& s! Z4 V$ M. j
  34 What happened to Hamer’s research interest?8 V0 ^  o% A+ _: K+ }% X- ~
  A He turned to basic research.  R( v" S' C+ }8 E  b- i1 \
  B He sticked to basic research.
* H. m3 @* y' J! ]( [! h, j7 ^  C He turned to behavioral genetics.
) y$ _& t  B! N$ g  D He sticked to behavioral genetics.' _" P3 y0 o. W1 i2 w
  35 According to Hamer, what was one of the main reasons for him to choose homosexual behavior as his research subject?. c8 l% s' s' q( \
  A He is a gay and he wants to cure himself.
) _. s% I5 J( ?  B He was curious about it as a scientist.) f$ A" g; S- u% K: p# d, z
  C He was curious about it like everyone else.) z; u4 Q+ ]7 [- I/ A; u& b
  D It is a subject that can lead to political success.
$ f0 V  |; X/ z# {, G2 T  第二篇7 f( g0 e! ]- S/ r1 ]0 ?
  Silent and Deadly  B' ~5 l) t( S3 }( |

2 n8 L. l' T. N0 V  Transient ischemic attacks(TIAS), or mini-strokes, result from temporary interruptions of blood flow to the brain. Unlike full strokes, they present symptoms lasting anywhere from a few seconds to 24 hours. Rarely do they cause permanent neurological damage, but they are often precursors of a major stroke.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-15 23:57:34 | 显示全部楼层

2010年职称英语考试:卫生B模拟试题(4)

</p>  “Our message is quite clear,” says Dr. Robert Adams, professor of neurology at the Medical College of Georgia in August. “TIAS,while less severe than strokes in the short term, are quite dangerous and need a quick diagnosis and treatment as well as appropriate follow-up to prevent future injury.”! S. x6 n9 F8 z# Y
  Unfortunately, mini-strokes are greatly under diagnosed. A study conducted for the National Stroke Association indicates that 2.5% of all adults aged 18 or older(about 4.9 million people in the U. S. )have experienced a confirmed TI A. An additional 1.2 million Americans over the age of 45, the study showed, have most likely suffered a mini-stroke without realizing it. These findings suggest that if the public knew how to spot the symptoms of stroke, especially mini-strokes, and sought prompt medical treatment, thousands of lives could be saved and major disability could be avoided.( G2 t8 i' c# T2 O. G
  The problem is that the symptoms of a mini-stroke are often subtle and passing. Nonetheless, there are signs you can look out for:- {- r8 {9 O' g8 @9 s* d" q' b
  *Numbness or weakness in the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body.& s# M# L) K6 e, H, ^
  *Trouble seeing in one or both eyes.
8 I, f1 }( K, J+ ~4 c& r  *Confusion and difficulty speaking or understanding.; Q5 L/ @  Z) [4 j! `$ e* j
  *Difficulty walking, dizziness or loss of coordination.3 {, L" D9 C0 a& `+ C2 C1 Z) ^& p7 h
  *Severe headache with no known cause.. o# C9 `. S' F1 N
  Along with these symptoms, researchers have identified some key indicators that increase your chances of having a full-blown stroke after a TIA: if you’re over 60, have experienced symptoms lasting longer than 10 minutes, feel weak and have a history of diabetes.
1 g8 _8 L: E) D2 [+ i0 I5 V  As with many diseases, you can help yourself by changing your lifestyle. The first things you should do are quit smoking, limit your intake of alcohol to no more than a drink or two a day and increase your physical activity. Even those who suffer from high blood pressure or diabetes can improve their odds—and minimize complications if they do have a stroke—by keeping their illness under control.$ z+ a3 y( J! a2 H
  If you experience any of the symptoms, your first call should be to your doctor. It could be the call that saves your life.; \7 o# S/ Q5 C: H, N0 @, d; _
  36 Which of the following is NOT true of mini-strokes?( o( u- b$ E# [( |5 v! x3 i
  A The cause of them remains unidentified.
; J: W1 s5 j" E, p' U  B They seldom cause permanent neurological damage.
) `3 J1 H& S& {/ x7 V8 a: \! x5 h8 L  C They symptoms of them are often passing.7 L  o, H" [" ^$ z0 @  l) ?. J
  D They are not unrelated to major strokes.0 n* v# \' _, c6 Q) }
  37 To prevent mini-strokes from turning into major strokes, it is important to
1 M  S; b1 o% m8 L  A save thousands of lives.. x, [* I; \; x$ {; @
  B avoid major disability.
6 b! g- j; l7 S  U9 V3 K  C seek prompt medical treatment.0 p' I. |9 s4 d4 v, L
  D prevent future injury.
8 w/ p! m* _* N0 `1 J' G# o  38 The passage indicates that the symptoms of mini-strokes
+ N5 p4 u' A6 Q" h! M/ V# m$ G  A are always easy to spot.
( F+ v8 h: j" Y. ?% e& N" B& _  B are frequently hard to recognize.7 I2 d/ z; `5 e8 H6 q  a# X
  C usually last a couple of days.
& z# U8 p# {0 K  z5 T' D& d  D can by no means be avoided.! N: y- l+ M4 q) C* U
  39 All of the following may be signs of mini-strokes EXCEPT for
; b9 }9 |4 A- v: R8 O  A trouble seeing in one eye.
) Z: Z+ v; I4 B. ^1 A, ?# D4 i  B numbness in the face.
6 f7 ~5 {- R: H. _( s) Z% E  C loss of coordination.+ T  ^( c  b2 u4 H: }* a4 ^+ c6 v
  D severe headache caused by external injury.
: f/ U) H# ~6 l) B# ?  40 It can be inferred from the passage that mini-strokes are# k( N# ^7 k/ ]9 l$ J
  A more dangerous than major strokes.: Y. Q/ Q; |. S9 a; w, f; |
  B silent and deadly.
2 A% _7 q; h! [- i, H  C difficult to cure.
  v* i( ^( [2 x* r: z  D sure to lead to major strokes.3 L6 A+ Z# s2 i  E
  第三篇
) L+ k5 K* A6 c/ z2 W7 i- A  Road Trip Vacations
$ K  z- ^! I) j  }" \0 `; e$ c/ m  It’s summer. In the United States, it’s the season of swimming pools, barbeques, camping and road trips.8 d* E& g2 ?+ C; `5 C' h0 Q7 k6 c% P
  Road trip vacations where the car journey is part of the fun are especially popular with college students, who like to explore the country on wheels. These budget trips are ideal for students who often have plenty of free time but little money.' K' u& h4 |% h6 g
  "Ever since I went to college, I’ve been traveling around a lot, exploring the country," said Austin Hawkins, a 19-year-old college student from New York. This summer, Hawkins and his friends have spent weekends traveling in New England.5 d& ?6 _5 }* Z) g; `2 {

i+ T4 ?/ w0 o% ~  The best part about car trips, said Hawkins, is that you can be spontaneous. "On a road trip, if you get interested in things you see along the way you can stop and explore."
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-15 23:57:35 | 显示全部楼层

2010年职称英语考试:卫生B模拟试题(4)

</p>  Matt Roberts, a 20-year-old student from Ohio who drove to Montreal, Canada, agrees. "With road trips you dont have to plan in advance, you can just get into a car and drive."( C5 p& A2 c/ Y4 L% M
  Even with high gas prices, driving with friends is cheaper than flying. Roberts paid about 40 dollars for gas, but a round trip plane ticket would have cost nearly 400 dollars.
/ R4 n; H1 y+ b1 h* p* K4 W- }1 s  Driving trips first became popular in the 1920s. Newly paved roads and improved, cars made it possible to travel longer distances. Motels started appearing outside cities.+ B; m2 \: ?! X$ Y2 G+ q( c6 O1 y
  By the 1950s, car ownership became the norm. Construction of the US interstate highway system began in 1956 and motel and restaurant chains popped up1 everywhere making long distance trips easier.: m( j: ?& ~: D2 ]* Y
  Today, the US has the highest car ownership rate in the world. Only 8 percent of American homes have no car, according to the most recent US census.# R2 b) i5 s. p
  Though many college students don’t own a car, most have access to one. On many of Hawkins’ trips, they used a borrowed van.
0 V' a: c) j; `2 {2 S+ }! V  Hawkins’ most memorable road trip took place over spring break. He and two friends drove from New York to New Orleans to volunteer, helping rebuild the city after Hurricane Katrina hit it last July. They crossed the country in two days and slept in their car in church parking lots.
% b# F1 j* x. o) o* a* c  Roberts road trip to Canada last winter was even more eventful. Upon arriving in Montreal, they were lost in a blizzard and shivering in the -25°cold. To find their hotel, they turned on a laptop and drove around in circles until they found a spot with wireless Internet coverage.& ?+ L) R8 e# n" |4 A* m' Y
  "I know we should have planned better, but we’re young. Now, when I see those guys I always say: ‘Remember when we were lost in the snow storm!’ I’ll never forget that."
; ~* Q/ m* C/ N. o* S  41 Which of the following statements is NOT true of American college students?' S# ]# q3 T3 }! ^4 ~8 h9 _0 K
  A They have little money.
  Z+ {7 h+ A; P/ w6 d) _" a! i. Y  B They like traveling by bike., z% s5 u$ k! _- _
  C They like to explore the country.
6 W# I" t0 m% ^  \  D They often have plenty of free time.
6 `* [- s: n9 U8 \; |  42 What will Hawkins do when he sees something interesting on a road trip?
* f8 ^7 y! z1 T( o: N  A He will turn back.
1 a0 T9 w4 r$ ]9 b  l0 A  B He will drive around.
8 n+ N- J1 ^% u2 k: _7 R4 x  C He will stop to explore.) w7 y( j( U) E/ p
  D He will stop exploring.
% V1 W6 D) g) U" p+ t( n0 }  43 When did motels suddenly appear?
* U1 Y& |5 m4 w6 ]. ~  @  A After the work to build the interstate highway system started.
$ `3 [# E5 F8 G1 C8 }7 |  B When driving trips became popular.
& I, T7 d! b  O' S3 ^! N0 ]/ Z  C After many roads were paved.
0 h6 l+ E1 N& I; \  x. J# y  c  D After new cars were made.
% v5 f/ l+ {0 R5 s. g8 h  44 Which of the following words can best describe Hawkins’ trip to New Orlends?$ Z2 K; n0 }1 L$ x4 u
  A Eventful.
6 ^4 c4 z" [) g  l) F! s  B Colourful.
0 q9 X& F1 I+ z" R! d3 T* o1 y0 p  C Delightful.) \1 W0 ?0 z0 e( ~1 y6 e
  D Unforgettable.' _" `. `: y6 s! v
  45 The word blizzard in paragraph 12 can be replaced by2 u7 I7 M* P2 j, C3 H2 `7 g
  A snowstorm.
+ U$ M- _# m- }# Y9 u  B hurricanE
( q% S1 N) g& s5 r4 `  C mist." C! @! v" `3 ~7 f+ v& _
  D fog.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-21 01:06 , Processed in 0.225648 second(s), 25 queries .