QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 103|回复: 1

[卫生类英语] 2011职称英语卫生A级:阅读理解练习(11)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 23:57:33 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Old Mothers' Children Have Higher Diabetes (糖尿病) Risk
/ w" F8 z7 k) N" o0 W  Children of older mothers run a higher risk of developing insulin-dependent (胰岛素依赖型的) diabetes, the British Medical Journal said. "A strong association was found between increasing maternal (母亲的) age at delivery and risk of (insulin-dependent) diabetes in the child. Risk was highest in firstborn children and decreased progressively with higher birth order," Professor Edwin Gale and colleagues at Southmead Hospital in Bristol said. Diabetes is a serious, incurable, lifelong disease characterized (以…作为特性) by an inability to control the amount of sugar in the blood. Insulin-dependent diabetes, which mainly affects children, is treated by administering the hormone insulin. Gale looked into 1,375 families in the Oxford area where one or more children had diabetes and found that the risk of a child developing insulin. dependent diabetes increased by 25 percent for each five-year band of the mother's age.
0 C/ C) h! i  Q& j  The risk of developing diabetes was also linked to the age of the father. For every five-year band of the father's age the risk of the child developing diabetes increased by nine percent. The risk of diabetes was highest among the firstborn children of mothers who started their families late and the risk decreased by about 15 percent for each subsequent child, the BMJ said. The older the mother, the earlier the start of insulin-dependent diabetes in the child. Other studies have already shown that children born to older mothers, over the age of 35, have an increased risk of diabetes but this study is the first to establish that risk increases continuously in relation to increasing maternal age, Dr. Polly Bingley of Southmead Hospital told Reuters (路透社). The new study is the first to show that risk is related to birth order.
0 L. B1 q/ U$ [3 Q  The study also partly explains increasing diabetes. Between 1970 and 1996 the proportion of children born to mothers aged between 30 and 34 increased to 28 percent from 15 percent and this could account for rising numbers of childhood diabetes patients, the scientists said in the BMJ. 2 _! q: e4 J4 F. s. W$ X
  The diabetes charity Diabetes UK agreed that the study may have uncovered a reason for the alarming increase in the rate of (insulin-dependent) diabetes among children in recent years. "This study may well provide a clue to the understanding of this problem. It is most likely that there are a number of factors to explain the increase," Diabetes UK said. There are some 1.4 million diagnosed diabetes sufferers in Britain, the charity Diabetes UK said. Of these 1.4 million sufferers there are 20,000 people under age 20 who suffer from insulin-dependent diabetes.
$ u( m( I9 c7 G. F/ U  6 According to the passage, the risk of a child developing insulin-dependent diabetes is linked to all the following factors EXCEPT
% _2 G: D! K; g/ y  A the maternal age at delivery.
9 U5 \& N7 _+ W" Q! O  B the age of the father.
5 S/ v4 e2 Q. U! [! p  C birth order. / D& _# `; P! x
  D the amount of sugar he or she consumes. 8 [* P# R* Q0 F# q: D4 e/ f. g
  7 What kind of child may be at the highest risk of developing insulin-dependent diabetes?
2 S% O6 L1 h; i4 D  g1 F  T& |  A The children whose fathers are five years younger than their mothers. ' t7 }# c$ c6 D. E( q" i1 v
  B The children whose mothers are five years younger than their fathers. 4 |' T6 z! [1 l# ~5 x
  C The third-born children whose fathers got married late. $ r1 H! N8 i3 |% n5 F$ {$ p
  D The first-born children whose mothers started their families late.
# t# e9 @2 o2 Q/ Z3 R. a: ~+ k  8 What is the correlation between the mother's age and the time when the child develops insulin-dependent diabetes?
& O; Z+ v( t9 y& H5 X  A The younger the mother, the earlier the start of diabetes in the child. - i' c+ i( v9 e* |+ J
  B The older the mother, the earlier the start of diabetes in the child.   [2 w4 P2 s! z5 l+ F4 O' K
  C The older the mother, the later the start of diabetes in the child. 5 x- p( |) ]9 K4 p" L2 ?
  D The mother's age has little to do with the time when the child develops insulin-dependent diabetes.
/ y( U- v# m  }8 N  9 According to the passage, the alarming increase in the rate of diabetes, among children in the UK may partly be explained by the rise in
( X6 a3 L7 c% A( U/ F. s( H6 }6 I: |% p, Y  c+ v
  A the proportion of children born to mothers aged above 30.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-15 23:57:34 | 显示全部楼层

2011职称英语卫生A级:阅读理解练习(11)

</p>  B the incidence of diabetes in the whole country.
- @" I- v' w4 E( j* l# f: k! F  C the supply of diabetes medicines.
6 U+ x9 U$ P& r7 B6 h  D the number of newborn babies. 7 D$ _- n1 J& F; d
  10 How many diagnosed diabetes patients are there in Britain?
) z$ [  ?: t4 {: `8 L- y7 r+ g7 H  A About twenty thousand.
2 B- ^2 q8 U9 O: w  B About one million and four hundred thousand.
/ D  t4 R6 c& f" l8 @+ ]+ ^% C  R  C About one million and four thousand. 3 m8 e' d1 }( ]% r: ~/ Y) `
  D About one million and four hundred.   S. z' U& J* {3 I/ E- k' L
【参考答案】2 m* C; Z+ }2 D0 D
  6. D  7. D  8. B  9. A  10. B
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-10 23:08 , Processed in 0.238857 second(s), 23 queries .