QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 82|回复: 0

[理工类英语] 2011年职称英语理工类C级阅读理解模拟练习3

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-16 00:07:50 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Ocean Noise Pollution) Z% ?9 H% f8 Z" Z3 @6 ?# J1 c+ @
Some scientists say that animals in the ocean are increasingly threatened by noise pollution caused by human beings.2 F. t' p9 y7 r
The noise that affects sea creatures comes from a number of human activities. It is caused mainly by industrial underwater explosions, ocean drilling, and ship engines. Such noises are added to natural sounds. These sounds include the breaking of ice fields, underwater earthquakes, and sounds made by animals themselves.
0 J, K5 K! k/ ]$ M4 cDecibels (分贝) measured in water are different from those measured on land. A noise of one hundred-twenty decibels on land causes pain to human ears. In water, a decibel level of one-hundred ninety-five would have the same effect.4 N" B, M7 R  e0 ?
Some scientists have proposed setting a noise limit of one. hundred-twenty decibels in oceans. They have observed that noises at that level can frighten and confuse whales (鲸鱼)./ j- `5 v! B* i
A team of American and Canadian scientists discovered that louder noises can seriously injure some animals. The research team found that powerful underwater explosions were causing whales in the area to lose their hearing. This seriously affected the whales' ability to exchange information and find their way. Some of the whales even died. The explosions had caused their ears to bleed (出血) and become infected (感染).
1 o" g: [1 B$ l0 u5 U& {) AMany researchers, whose work depends on ocean sounds object to a limit of one-hundred-twenty decibels. They say such a limit is a greater danger than they believed. They want to prevent noises from harming creatures in the ocean.
' b- z  e4 \/ V9 H41 According to the passage, which of the following is increasingly dangerous to sea creatures?5 ~1 D4 u  i' a* R
A The sound of a car.4 }0 g9 C) L( q8 N, i6 u
B The sound of voices.$ a: Z1 s+ F( h6 C# k# o# E
C Man-made noise pollution.; K, p, P1 A" r- u7 g
D The sound of steps.- t- S" y9 _; Y! `% U
42 According to the passage, natural sounds include all of the following EXCEPT
+ g( Z4 p6 f5 i' X: BA sounds made by animals themselves.
- k2 \' G2 F& N6 T2 b( ?  f7 P- PB ocean drilling.9 I; E9 D  s9 E) j; v) O
C underwater, earthquakes.
1 v( J( H3 i# t; m# a. W/ i3 SD the breaking of ice fields.
( a3 B% k9 E3 F5 w, u43 Which of the following is discussed in the third paragraph?
$ T' k/ d4 L0 h9 b+ CA The same noise level produces a different effect on land and in the ocean.
3 s! X: K& p8 s( p/ n% K; aB Different places may have different types of noises.* c$ V7 R9 q7 d; b" Y9 w) _
C The decibel is not a suitable unit for measuring underwater noise.
& p! G. G4 @. `! [2 {  z, KD Different ocean animals may have different reactions to noises.
# b: f. U6 h# w$ j6 ]6 v& L1 y44 Which of the following is true of whales?* j+ ^7 `6 d/ p' U/ y: `
A They won't be confused by noises.
& }4 j1 X8 h' N8 A, N5 R9 `$ aB They are deaf to noises.
/ a* `6 A: G! I7 H6 [C Their ability to reproduce will be lowered by high-level noises.
9 j% r) p5 n0 E# d% ~D Their hearing will be damaged by high-level noises.2 O* j9 e' R1 _4 O2 ~
45 According to the passage, what will scientists most probably do in the future?
1 M) j7 s- T0 S% Q+ cA They will work hard to reduce ocean noise pollution.
7 ]$ [1 ~, I' T, j  oB They will protect animals from harmful noises." m% g* m# Y/ K# y8 v5 O) P
C They will try to set a limit of 120 decibels.
' {& h0 E8 |- M- tD They will study the effect of ocean noise pollution.
. Y1 X+ X: }  H. q2 U【参考答案】41. C42. B43. A44. D45. B
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-29 07:50 , Processed in 0.225121 second(s), 21 queries .