QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 111|回复: 0

[理工类英语] 2011年职称英语理工类C级阅读理解模拟练习1

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-16 00:07:50 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
The Compass
; j/ Y" J; |' \4 U$ J" s, PThe great sea voyages of Europe's "Age of Discovery," such as Christopher Columbus's trip to the West Indies in 1492, would have been impossible without the use of a compass. This great device for sea voyages was introduced to the West from China during the thirteenth century A.D. We have to thank ancient Chinese for their invention of the compass.
0 i, X* S7 f, i4 Z$ _- UTwo thousand years ago the Chinese had already developed a working compass. A piece of lodestone (天然磁石) would be cut into the shape of a ladle (长柄勺). Placed on a stone board with a smooth surface, the lodestone would move round until the "handle" of the ladle pointed south while the bulk (主体) of the ladle was attracted to magnetic north. This interestingly shaped device is mentioned in a book from about A.D. 80. Other ancient books may have dated it as far back as the fourth century B.C. Jade (玉石) finders played an important role in the invention of the "ladle". They travelled great distances to look for jade. In order not to lose directions, they would take a "ladle" with them.1 A1 K, X- e1 I2 E
The jade connection is important. Lodestone is a hard material——though not as hard as some jade. And the making of a magnetic "ladle", as well as a highly smooth stone board, would have required great skill. This suggests that the compass was invented by the jade finders of ancient China.; v) }  m3 H" i1 _) M9 s
However, the making of a "ladle" was a tough job. Much work needed to shape a piece of lodestone into a ladle would mean much of its natural magnetism (磁性) had been lost. This again meant that only a few "ladles" could have been produced. Small numbers of ladles produced and growing need for navigation led to a search for ways to produce more compasses, and at the same time, smaller and better compasses.
4 Q# m$ {9 g0 w31 What is the first paragraph mainly about?; m, N, _& [% n" h$ \1 s# I
A Columbus was a great sailor and discoverer.( T+ W. U8 i  w$ p
B The compass was invented by Columbus., |3 k5 a. Q* u1 h  y" M
C The invention of the compass is important in human history.
1 A6 r9 u2 U/ d+ P; JD Columbus introduced the compass to the West Indies.+ U1 Z2 g) J( l' L0 a
32 When did the Chinese invent the compass?
) Y- k# Y3 D- d8 n; `& X$ ~0 S: tA In 1492.
( x5 P' P: j$ g: A; r4 Y; ^7 pB In the thirteen century A.D.
( G8 n! u: R" u' G7 l- rC In A.D. 80.  E  K3 B4 X/ o
D At least 2000 years ago.
7 }/ N- P" h; M0 D( x33 Which of the following about the ladle-shaped compass is true?
' i$ |% E% x  r* x& V# r  \A The "handle" of the ladle pointed south.7 }9 n# O2 A! P8 z, ~
B The "handle" of the ladle pointed north.) h5 D) K3 |& }' X7 G8 V, ]: r
C The bulk of the ladle was attracted to south.+ }. ~# I7 U' J8 p3 {/ _
D The bulk of the ladle remained unmoved on the board.
! \# E* t2 [2 f2 `/ N% _! ^34 Why are jade and jade finders mentioned in the passage?
* Z$ I" {5 _! Z7 X' A7 jA Because jade finders used the compass to detect lodestone.
- ]$ L+ G8 ?1 F, |2 C3 ?B Because jade was hard enough to make the compass.8 o! A. ^: \" n6 W3 [  V
C Because jade finders were possibly the inventors of the compass.
& m8 T9 m4 _5 H  |$ `/ I/ u( FD Because jade and lodestone were found in the same mountains.- Q+ l: K0 Q% \6 N; H
35 What would the paragraph following this passage most probably discuss?! O( v- N( ]& G- N  M( |- D
A Various uses of ladle-shaped, compasses.
. p/ `. O; [9 w0 p; }B Improvement on the ladle-shaped compass.
' E$ P2 V+ U) pC Compasses introduced to the West from China.
3 y4 m" y  r+ C  xD The sea voyages of Europe's "Age Of Discovery".* _" G7 D, K0 C  c# N! i5 r
【参考答案】31. C32. D33. A34. C35. B
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-29 15:39 , Processed in 0.180937 second(s), 21 queries .