只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 204|回复: 3

[理工类英语] 职称英语理工类B级:模拟试题二阅读理解

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-16 00:07:50 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
第四部分:阅读理解(每题3分,共45分)
) n* e( f  A' N; T) s) F- |5 e. M' e9 d: k& O
下面有3篇短文,每篇短文后有5道题,每道题后面有4个选项。请仔细阅读短文并根据短文回答其后面的问题,从4个选项中选择1个最佳答案涂在答题卡相应的位置上。7 c" F: i4 V7 {& E- D
第1篇 Common-cold Sense! m9 j* l, D3 }% R$ ~/ v. u

8 n; D6 n) Q( y/ @4 F) HYou can’t beat it,but you don’t have to join it.‘Maybe it got the name “common cold” because it’s more common in winter.The fact is,though,being cold doesn’t have anything to do with getting one 3.Colds are caused by the spread of rhinoviruses,and,at least SO far,medical science is better at telling you how to avoid getting one than how to get rid of one.
5 Z) n( [( s& i% \( _/ w5 JChildren are the most common way cold viruses are spread to adults,because they have more colds than adults — an average of about eight per year.Why do kids seem SO much more easily to get colds than their parents? Simple.They haven’t had the opportunity to become immune to many cold viruses.5 c+ ^& F. u* a
There are more than 1 50 different cold viruses,and you never have the same one twice.Beinginfected by one makes you immune to it — but only it.
, Z+ |6 D+ O4 V7 l' J/ TColds are usually spread by direct contact,not sneezing or coughing.From another person’s hand to your hand and then to your nose or eyes is the most common route。.The highest concentration of cold viruses anywhere is found under the thumbnails of a boy,although the viruses Can survive for hours on skin or other smooth surfaces.% n7 \2 u4 c' i6 Y
Hygiene is your best defense.Wash your hands frequently.preferably with a disinfectant soap,especially when children in your household have colds.
9 A+ |/ h+ B7 G$ V  I3 t) wBut even careful hygiene won’t ward off。every cold.So,what works when a coughing,sneezing,runny nose strikes?
# L3 l$ a7 ~# h8 s+ w- I2 I: A: w% e$ Q, VThe old prescription of two aspirins,lots of water,and bed rest is a good place to start.But you’11 also find some of the folk remedies…worth Wing.Hot mixtures of sugar(or honey),lemon,and water have real benefits.
* x) c% h4 G) T% E" f( Z  O词汇:) J+ W- j! a6 @% z  N" Q& o9 A
rhinovirus n.鼻病毒
6 M. |. \* c" X! X) [7 d/ Jvirus n.病毒
& H2 O; C) p% F* U5 N6 Wimmune adj.免疫的,有免疫力的9 a- C4 Q' Z" u( I9 E$ Q$ z) m, _: R5 E5 X
preferably adv.更可取地,更好地
/ Z$ w6 c( |% r, T" vdisinfectant n.消毒剂,杀菌剂, w, Z9 w, J2 A: ~
prescription n.(1)诀窍(2)处方,药方/ @  p4 H+ B* Z0 J8 ^
infect vt.传染,侵染,感染
+ x2 C  a! Y3 s5 G* `8 `& q0 }% Esneeze vi.打喷嚏6 q$ `% s& T7 Q; i8 ~, Q
remedy n.治疗,治疗法,药品
/ U5 g) {# C# |& }& \" m  z) a0 Cthumbnail n.拇指甲
$ ^! z! O) l; g& I: u: ]8 v( Q5 e1.Accordingtothe essay,you may have a cold because
0 l- I+ Y. C/ j  j+ pA)the weather is too cold.& k+ Q0 G; M; W% I  I: Y
B)the spread of rhinoviruses gets people infected.+ j+ D! j* @; E3 }7 _) R
C)another person’s coughing passes the cold to you
/ H4 g& j  R( g% I0 h4 q9 VD)you wash your hands too often.' u) g: y7 B- S- A. V$ j- x
2.The best way to keep yourself from getting colds is! Q" T) W; i, `' h) I! a" i
A)to keep yourself clean.
! X4 G; K! o$ a" D5 s' PB)to use a disinfectant soap." y+ T. u3 `$ G! w& q  R: Y+ W# `. {
C)to take two aspirins every day.
8 V  g- z) P/ `( i8 F7 D! oD)to drink lots of water.
6 T4 s. q: E8 D: u; D7 Q# p3.Children have more colds because; W1 }& ]2 C- k- t, W% d7 s& q
A)they are usually infected about eight times each year.
' _+ q& t5 ^) ?5 Z+ C# V+ f  }8 rB)they are not immune to many cold viruses yet.$ _% n3 k3 k3 c/ I" Y/ h
C)they never wash their hands So that their thumbnails are dirty.
9 R$ G. f% G: L+ h7 W2 K) J( BD)they don’t 1ike eating lemon.
6 Y5 a% R7 g! Y7 Q0 c8 W4.When you are having a cold,1 u- z! {% k- S- ?3 Y  p# v
A)it is always the same kind of cold that you had last time.3 Y" P- }3 H3 A* U, g- x2 i
B)it may be the same kind of cold that you had last time.9 f+ b9 U% @  ]( l% D0 N2 h8 W
C)it is certainly not the same kind of cold that you had last time.
" s! @* J% d) R8 |% l0 \D)it is probably not the same kind of cold that you had last time.$ z3 u) e; K' }0 Y' b9 }5 c0 s
5.When one is having a cold, he may often have a11 the following symptoms EXCEPT, V( P/ C) M" M+ m% b; A
A)coughing.+ A' n9 Y# H) \- n, d
B)having a sore throat.
' j0 W6 h, v* TC)having a runny nose.
, y0 b! J4 I6 [# N2 jD)having a stomachache.
$ j& E# m% z0 g2 P) k/ }第2篇Urban Rainforest! L/ T1 A3 x. z1 X
On the west side of the island of Manhattan in New Y0rk City,tree by tree,leaf by leaf, a 2,500 square foot sector of the Central African Republic’s Dzanga Ndoki Rainforest has been transported to,or recreated at,the American Museum of Natural History’s new hall of biodiversity.When the hall opens this May, visitors will visit one of the world’s biggest and most accurate reproduction of one of nature’s most threatened creations.
/ j/ B8 H% T: s2 f, g
9 G) V" B( r; y9 y6 GTo bring the rainforest to New Y0rk.a team of nearly two dozen scientists—the largest collecting expedition the museum has ever organised for an exhibit — spent five weeks in the African rainforest collecting soil,plants,and leaves;recording and documenting species;studying trees;shooting videotape and still photos;and interviewing local people.“This area has been explored very little,” says Hoel Cracraft who estimates that the museum will eventually collect 150 to 180 mammals,more than 300 species of birds,hundreds of butterflies,and hundreds of thousands,if not 111illions,of organisms.The exhibition may even have produced a special prize - scientists suspect they have uncovered several new species.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-16 00:07:51 | 显示全部楼层

职称英语理工类B级:模拟试题二阅读理解

</p>To give the forest a sense of realness,the back wall of the exhibit is an enormous videoscreen,sounds will come out from hidden speakers.and plans even call for forest smells.Computer controls will vary the effects so that no two walkthroughs will ever be exactly the same.
: [3 @( u0 o) J9 N- B# gAfter the team returned to New York.the forest was reproduced with the help of the computer Computer modelling programmes plotted distances and special relationships.Artists studied photos and brought what they saw to 1ife.Plaster trees were made.Recreated animals began to stand in the rainforest of the hall.Flying creatures will hang from the ceiling.The 1ight in the forest—one of the exhibit’s cleverest re-creations—will seem real.Long tube 1ights will have the correct colour and temperature to produce a natural effect.The plants and animals exhibited throughout the hall exist naturally in a perfect balance—remove one.and the whole is imperfect if not endangered.The exhibit is proof to the hope that the world’s rainforests will never exist solely as a carefully preserved artifact.0 g" K  }+ H( `
词汇:, G2 v! w# p, b# f. T; X
biodiversity n.生物多样性
) W& p* o, @! O4 n5 }1 Zdocument v.纪实性地描述0 p" l5 V9 W3 v+ h9 p: z
mammal n.哺乳类动物6 Z0 K  g+ \2 x7 J- Z, O. w- \
organism n.微生物
: \% A3 j8 e( C7 Y! H3 cexhibit n.展品8 \/ u4 T  t0 r( X; `& B
walkthrough n.开拍前的排练,预排
% x4 S! `( r3 S6 p# ~plot v.为……设定' K* Q9 ^- L& Z) v3 J$ I+ u2 z+ u# z
plaster n.熟石膏/ x, d6 Y* L9 J# K1 M% [6 R( }3 x
artifact n.人工制品
; w( T( o9 r; B6 E" s3 D* a1. What is this passage mainly about?
' t/ M) N  Q. w% Y7 b1 QA) The history of the American Museum of Natural History.
! r. q( L! P5 aB)The reproduction of the rainforest at a New York museum.% y( r2 n3 ?( n- B0 g& D) i
C)Visitors’ interest in the rainforest reproduction at a New York museum4 g. a/ K0 a8 R" Q& S# D
D)Saving rainforests in the Central African Republic.) W) Q8 b, v+ L' V
2.How did the museum collect the data in the Central African Republic?
7 S5 V; b2 Z; i" k5 B% J9 UA)It sent a large team of scientists there.
1 o( `4 U7 [5 k$ oB)It cooperated with many African scientists.
+ S( s( z$ k6 o  a; [C)It recruited local people to collect mammals,etc..3 H4 m; H" \" H& K; w
D)It sent cameramen to shoot videotapes.. [( h% y: t9 g9 ]
3.To give the forest a sense of realness.all the following are used EXCEPT that
" O; y9 Z" I9 F! ]1 c! S, r4 @A)hidden loudspeakers are used to produce forest sound.
! y: ~$ r8 }- F# Y6 q6 O. t3 w, dB)a huge videoscreen is put up on the back wall.5 F& @; k/ k. {- _$ E! z
C)special equipment is employed to produce forest smells.* R. k6 J/ O* Q$ ~
D)the forest is surrounded by front and back walls." d7 @  u$ b6 }7 z3 D
4.What is the main theme of the last paragraph?' _  J7 R& V2 d' O
A)The layout of the rainforest exhibition.4 |, C" V9 \$ Q8 u7 A5 s! S
B)The balance between animals and plants.0 H2 {. b! y5 ^6 R& I7 b3 Y/ O+ R
C)The clever design of lighting./ K5 G8 k0 `2 D% S
D)Preservation of the rainforest exhibition as an artifact) S7 ^0 Z: b4 W( E
5.What does the last sentence of the passage most probably mean?
+ T3 f) T  _1 [# g1 c: JA)The rainforest in the Central African Republic will be preserved forever.
3 ]+ a1 s6 b% T1 e9 f# |4 d1 S! S9 D0 SB)The well-designed exhibit will be preserved as an artifact.
0 _7 q6 l% `' s# v/ GC)The exhibit reflects the hope that natural rainforests will be well preserved2 w$ h# A* f& g, ~9 G$ U
D)The exhibit of the rainforest in the museum is the sole one in the world.
# Y- T' H# A2 ]6 o& h0 s第3篇Credit Card Only Works When Spoken to
9 B2 L( N+ v3 d- `- r( HA credit card that will not work unless it hears its owner’s voice could become an important Weapon in the fight against fraud.3 g  @* v' _. k: _
The card requires users to give a spoken password that it recognizes using a built-in voice—recognition chip.The idea is to prevent thieves using a stolen card or fraudsters using someone else’s credit card details to buy goods online。.' a9 e2 r% C) a. \
A prototype built by engineers at Beepcard in Santa Monica,California,represents the first attempt to pack a microphone,a loud speaker, a battery and a voice-recognition chip into a standard.sized credit card.* d: u6 H2 ^# Y( b1 g( Q* ~
They are not quite there yet:the card is the length and width of an ordinary credit card,but it is still about three times as thick.Alan Sege,Beepcard’s CEO,says the company now plans to use smaller chips to slim it down to normal thickness.
+ L+ v; e& ~7 Z+ ~1 O3 N0 SThe voice card is based Oil an earlier Beepcard technology designed to prevent fraud in online transactions.This earlier card has no microphone.but has a built.in loudspeaker that it uses to “squawk” an acoustic ID signal via a computer’s microphone to an online server.
' {* b! |1 L; |( `
6 ^9 S( Y8 M4 x- W+ v/ q, rBy verifying that the signal matches the card details,the server can establish that the user is not simply keying in…a credit card number but actually has the card to hand.The ID code changes each time the card is used in a pre-ordered sequence that only the server knows.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-16 00:07:52 | 显示全部楼层

</p>This prevents fraudsters recording the beeps.noting the card details and then playing back the audible ID when they key in the details later.But this earlier technology cannot prevent fraudulent use of stolen cards.The new one can.- u2 G* @3 R" A. `8 ^
The new voice card also identifies itself by-its ID squawk、but it will not do this until it has verified the legitimate user’s spoken password.Thieves will be unable to use the card because even if they knew the password they would have to be able to copy the owner’s voice with a high degree of accuracy.. [7 R* t. f9 m$ G" D: A
The challenge for Beepcard has been to develop voice—recognition and audio circuitry that can be powered by a mini battery embedded in a credit card.To maximize battery life,the electronics are only switched on when the card is being used.Pressing a button on the card’s surface prompts it to utter “Say your password” in female voice.If the voice-recognition software proves that the password is authentic, it sends its ID squawk which the server then identifies,allowing the transaction to proceed.
" z; X3 ]4 x$ X5 V/ d1 U词汇:. z! `# F! h7 y2 X% J# W
fraudster/n.骗子 * ^7 s# u' `$ W8 c
beep/n.(电子装置发出的)嘟嘟声! v( m0 @+ m1 B  r4 J0 {
online/adj.&adv.联机的(地),在线的(地);实时操作的(地)- O- Y' h" Q9 d
legitimate/adj.合法的% z% k4 r0 H3 Z% w$ P5 g3 B
fraudulent/adj.欺骗性的:骗得的6 W$ j; G4 @- X
prototype/n.原型;样品 / Z' m: I7 s7 u% q; |' |- e6 S
circuitry/n.电路系统
* r  u# O+ q4 \" T8 K$ Osquawk/v.粗声叫出 ; t, V* Z" U* ?& X- {
embed/v.埋置,嵌入,插入0 L& I% U4 a1 r& Z, [. z
acoustic/adj.声的;用声波操作的 ' m  O& f1 w$ I. e  c# }
utter/v.发出(声音),说出
, k2 T( {- M" t5 H$ j! s0 w, overify/v.证实,核实, ~* _, z; D1 B& ~
1.How Call the credit card recognize the spoken password given by the user?! d2 z  H" u- a$ M( |# ?
A)By using a voice-recognition chip embedded in the card.
& F) h2 H9 L' ?/ I% }: ^% kB)By using a voice-recognition device built in the server.7 G% D/ Z: Z2 k4 l$ z- i2 o! S
C)By fixing a microphone in the card.
2 R( W6 L  ]% uD)By fixing a loudspeaker in the card.
' ~$ w* f* \3 |2.Are the engineers at Beepcard satisfied with the model they have built? Why or why not?
7 e! t8 t" o! L) W+ T/ mA)Yes,because the model they have built is a standardized credit card.; `9 ^4 l/ Q9 j# h, T& s
B)No,because the model they have built is too heavy.
/ W" Z& g2 z. k5 \* GC)No,because the model they have built is too thick.
0 i9 o5 j: B2 G$ W2 O- qD)Yes,because the model they have built is used worldwide.2 N: t9 j6 V4 {' ]. o
3.What is the main difference between the earlier model and the new voice card?  h* G3 `+ F; b4 w$ h4 U
A)The new one can identify itself by its ID squawk.4 W6 I1 N- N) P$ k) W
B)The new one Can produce beeps.' J1 R. m# U+ g$ a
C)The new one needs the user to key in ID details.
8 b4 A$ r; n' r; m, AD)The new one works only when it hears the password spoken by the user.
+ A* L4 O' L) D# q! v4.What is the advantage of the voice card?
/ F% D5 m6 \4 v; N. SA)It is safer because it requires more ID information." G) b7 C. M' ~7 Y% r* c
B)It is safer because the voice-recognition chip is built in.9 l& O  L2 |9 p; |
C)It.is safer because no one but the user can use the card.
8 d$ ]( j4 G9 ^* Z  a8 ED)It is safer because it can hardly be cheated by fraudsters., j, W2 s4 a) z% T) ?6 ~7 ^
5.According to the last paragraph,what is NOT involved in the process of using the voice card?
0 l* r" U* Z3 A; y7 e0 x  eA)Switching on the electronics to maximize the battery life.
9 P5 T( _: l) f& v1 LB)Pressing the “Say your password” button on the card’s surface.
+ r$ x2 l- K2 ZC)The password is verified.
0 T8 Y- j9 W( j- ?. K; M& K4 D; {D)The ID squawk is sent to the server for it to identify.4 d6 _3 t, k7 d
* A! K2 k* W2 p3 b$ |2 }
参考答案:9 k% _1 O' W8 l' w3 \
第1篇8 Y# G5 e( z/ k
1.B 第一段虽然提到了感冒常发生于冬天,但紧接下去说得很清楚:受凉并不导致感冒,所以A不是正确答案。文章第四段第一句说得明白:感冒通常是与感冒的人身体直接接触而传染的,而不是由打喷嚏或咳嗽传染的,所以C项也不是正确答案。至于D更是错误。答案B与第一段第三句的意义相吻合,因此是正确答案。
  i& r( Q3 a- q! X5 m/ p8 s2.A 第五段的第一句话“Hygiene is your best defense”意思是“卫生是你的最佳防御”,与A项相吻合,因此A项是正确答案。同一段中提到的用消毒肥皂洗手,虽然也是保持卫生的手段之一,但仅是一个具体措施,不是全部措施,所以B项不是正确答案。C项提到的服阿司匹林是治感冒的手段之一,而非预防手段(况且没有说到“一天服两片”!)D项提到的多喝水在文中也指治疗手段,所以c和D都不是正确答案。
! O5 z& n5 O$ ]% t3.B 第二段中提到儿童平均一年得八次感冒,这是一个统计数据而不是儿童得感冒的原因;文中并没有说“儿童从不洗手”;文中也没有说“儿童不喜欢吃柠檬”;所以A、C、D都不对。B项与第二段最后一句意思一样,是正确答案。9 ^$ A- f7 S& v; r
4.C 第三段提到有150种感冒病毒,而人们绝不会被同一种病毒侵害两次,因为得了一次感冒后对相应的病毒就获得了免疫力,所以只有C项才符合第三段的内容。
! ?9 f( R$ R, v
. i+ y# I% k5 C5.D 本题谈的是文中提及的感冒症状。文中并没有提到得了感冒就胃疼,实际上文中根本就没有“stomachache”这个词或相关的字眼,所以D项是正确答案。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-16 00:07:53 | 显示全部楼层

</p>第2篇
3 |0 s& N, r# q; G1.B通篇文章谈的是把中非共和国的雨林重现于位于纽约的一个博物馆中。这就是本文的主旨。0 p% [* F: o7 v6 v/ {0 m3 {6 Y. P& X
2.A第二段第一句就说博物馆组织了20余位科学家到中非共和国实地考察与收集资料。选项B、C、D都与上述说法不符。$ B% q( i3 i; q/ t; s
3.D 第三段提到选项A、B、C分别列出的声、像、味,但选项D没有提到。所以选项D是答案。4 [& l: Y" W+ S; v2 ^6 C: h" {
4.A第四段具体提到展品的距离、相互关系、动植物制作、灯光等问题,所以本段是涉及展览的设计、布局,选项A是正确的。
' s; T" K4 X7 ]% B2 s5.C最后一句点出了在博物馆展出雨林的目的,希望自然界的雨林不会消失。这个雨林展览也就不会成为自然界雨林惟一的存在形式。C是最接近原意的选项。3 ]: m, O/ Q0 ?
第3篇
+ C9 R' ^: Y0 s- l7 u, ~1.A 第二段第一个句子是问题的答案。语音识别芯片嵌入(built.in)信用卡,当信用卡使用者输入口令时,就会自动被识别。9 b% N; r1 T1 l9 G
2.C 第四段告诉我们,工程师们还未完全达到他们的预想目标(Theyarenotquitethereyet。参见“注释”6),也就是说,他们对这种信用卡还不满意,原因是,尽管和普通信用卡在长度和宽度~NN,但是厚度却有普通信用卡的三倍。因此,c是正确答案。% f9 y3 M9 e% Y
3.D 第七段告诉我们,this earlier technology cannot prevent fraudulent use of stolen cards.Thenewonecan.第八段第一句中的also说明,先前的语音信用卡也同样有发声系统,所以,B不是正确选项,C也不是正确选项,因为先前的语音信用卡也需要使用者输入身份信息。惟一不同的新技术是使用语音识别系统,只有在该系统确认121令是使用者本人发出的才继续工作。所以,D是正确答案。; o2 t2 i4 ^: x" B7 r
4.c 第八段的第二句告诉我们,小偷即使知道口令,要模仿信用卡主人的声音是几乎能的。
- r" L  j! S8 [1 i. Q5.A B、C和D的内容都是使用语音信用卡时要经过的程序。Switching on the electronics to maximize the battery life与文中的意思不符,更不是信用卡使用者使用时的操作程序,所以,A是答案
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 15:11 , Processed in 0.207086 second(s), 27 queries .