QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 96|回复: 0

[理工类英语] 2012年职称英语:阅读理解辅导4

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-16 00:07:50 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Weaving with Light0 F1 ^# t% ]; i3 }. U1 X% a
In the Sierra Madre mountain range of west central Mexico1,the native Huichol people2 live much the way their ancestors did-without electricity. That's because it's too expensive to string power lines3 to the remote mountain areas where they live. To help support themselves,the Huichol create beautiful artwork. They sell their art in cities hundreds of miles away from their villages. And without electricity-at home or on the road,they can only work during daylight hours. When it gets dark,they must stop whatever they’re doing.6 a# a9 P7 J8 _& k* H, g& v
Now,a team of scientists,designers,and architects is using4 new technologies to provide the Huichol with light after the sun sets The scientists' technique involves weaving tiny electronic crystals into fabrics that can be made into clothes,bags,or other items.; K! W7 w- m1 V$ W. l& ?. u
By collecting the sun’s energy during the day,these lightweight fabrics provide bright white light at night. Their inventors have named the fabrics "Portable Lights." Portable Lights have the potential to transform the lives of people without electricity around the world,says project leader Sheila Kennedy.8 N! {" Q) _" L6 S4 D
“Our invention,”Kennedy says,“came from seeing how we could transform technology we saw every day in the United States and move it into new markets for people who didn’t have a lot of money.”/ m* Q! K: V$ j
At the core of5 Portable Light technology are devices called high-brightness light-emitting diodes,or HB LEDs6.These tiny lights appear in digital clocks,televisions,and streetlights.
+ ^( r! K1 w! Y' p1 YLEDs are completely different from the light bulbs. Most of those glass bulbs belong to a type called incandescent lights. Inside,electricity heats a metal coil to about 2,200 degrees Celsius. At that temperature,bulbs give off light we can see.
3 F& G% k- N3 k  w7 ]; T% }Ninety percent of energy produced by incandescent lights,however,is heat - and invisible. With all that wasted energy,bulbs bum out quickly. They are also easily broken.2 F' y2 Z; d# {* t7 J
LEDs,on the other hand,are like tiny pieces of rock made up of molecules that are arranged in a crystal structure. When an electric current passes through an LED,the crystal structure produces light. Unlike incandescent bulbs,they can produce light of various colors. Within an LED,the type of molecules and their particular arrangement determines what color is produced.5 p( c; y' s: F
词汇:3 Q, y8 n0 J/ k: [# `! f
Portable adj.轻便的,手提式的 incandescent adj.白灼的
. X# _. I3 `( KLight-emitting diode(LED) 发光二极管 coil n.线圈,卷,圈" y  B* ~1 v7 X1 V5 F$ t3 I; J- X
Bulb n.灯泡;球状物 molecule n.分子
+ v" R! y0 W  z$ x) _6 Q/ ]0 \注释:6 x' h1 t8 x% C
1.Sierra Madre mountain range of west central Mexico:墨西哥中西部的马德雷山脉。Sierra一词在西班牙语中本身就包含了“山脉”的意思,确切地说是“呈齿状起伏的山脉",因为在西班牙语中Sierra有“锯子"的意思。. E! G- h# u' F& u
2.Huichol people:维克人。他们是居住在墨西哥中西部地区马德雷山脉的土著印地安人。该地区山路崎岖,所以西班牙人未涉足于此,墨西哥文化也没能影响维克人的土著文化。据估计,维克印地安人现仅存约一万人。) A& n6 S" P  ]
3.string power lines:架设输电线
8 D  {, a. z5 `% z: _/ _4.Now,a team of scientists…is using:a team of scientists可以视作单数,也可以视作复数。本句用作单数,所以后接的谓语动词是is。# _6 n2 e' |) v+ `0 A+ p
5.At the core of:此处the core of意为the basic or most important part of(最重要的部分)。
3 [7 F6 d7 l6 g% M5 j2 D6.At the core of Portable Light technology are devices called high-brightness light-emitting diodes, or HB LEDs:本句是倒装句,主语是“devices called high-brightness light-emitting diodes, or HB LEDs",谓语动词是“are”。High-brightness light-emitting diodes可译为“高亮度发光二极管。
* T; L" V( I% Q练习:
7 j, q* V! ~7 O7 U1.To make a living,the Huichol create artwork and
/ i" @' X, \. z: e/ ~) PA.sell it to tourists in their villages.
/ r8 \6 N* m+ V0 SB.sell it in cities far away from their villages.
% X- u5 m& `2 n1 nC.display it in their village museum.' C; R% m. ?% a4 O0 ]  |! R. q
D.keep it in their homes to attract tourists.. a( Y* N0 b2 _* E* `
2.Why Can Portable Lights emit light?
# B# l3 h5 v/ R2 H- qA.Electronic crystals are woven into fabrics.; K$ G1 w+ M6 _6 B0 v0 L# o) {
B.Items such as clothes and bags are used to carry lights.* i$ v3 p0 G  I! {9 g: K
C.The sun’s energy is collected during the day.
$ p" F# u& D6 s+ J* f  qD.All of the above.
$ Q7 i& d0 i4 b) S! A( ^3.What does Sheila Kennedy say about Portable Lights?
7 e! A( L' h$ B# ?  TA.This invention Can change the lives of people,both rich and poor.
: G( Z% ~5 X  J; ]: T  zB.They are widely used in the United States.
. X. s# T# W( v# r: a4 ?1 _+ q9 j9 y/ RC.Portable Lights can help poor people around the world to get light.* w! ~/ Z9 k. s9 s1 V1 p$ T
D.They are expensive to make but easy to carry.0 h" v; J: ^) i$ w
4.What is the most important part of the Portable Light technology?; e) z' f, ]6 C" F- S" Z6 f7 g% D
A.HB LEDs
0 S7 a: f( k% g" BB.Glass Bulbs.0 J% V$ M9 C2 Z  f; m
C.Incandescent lights.$ M! T: g) D" _% c' t5 v
D.Heated metal coils.8 F; c. @( B$ D
5.LEDs are different from light bulbs in that8 h, Y$ x7 _6 Y5 N% _
A.LEDs ale incandescent lights while light bulbs are not.
& u) ~5 s+ j3 y$ pB.LEDs have a metal coil while light bulbs have not.+ \/ |( O# H$ p1 K( I
C.LEDs emit colored light while most fight bulbs don’t.
7 c, [9 O8 n5 I( ZD.LEDs are made up of tiny pieces of rock while light bulbs are not.4 b4 n- w4 g  y! |
答案与题解:8 b' L1 \" z: e
1.B短文的第一段提供了答案,该段告诉我们,维克人为了谋生,制作工艺品,并到几百英里以外的城市去销售。$ p" ]5 h9 R9 {- g5 p* m
2.D文章的第二和第三段包括了A、B和C所述内容。所以D是答案。
) r. E0 P; D1 t! ]3.C短文的第四和第五段提供了答案。短文第四段的句子说了Potable Lights可以在世界范围内改变穷乡僻壤用不上电的人们的生活,C准确地表达了这层意思,所以是答案。A不是答案,说Potable Lights能改变富人穷人的生活,不符合原文的意思。短文没有提及Portable Lights在美国使用,也没有说Portable Lights是否花费很大。所以B和D都不是答案。
1 _7 ~& C3 j: W* Q1 v/ g/ k4.A 第六段的第一句提供了答案。Portable Lights技术的最主要部分是high-brightness light-emitting diodes,即高亮度发光二极管。
, l' r: T, |  j4 B2 c5.C短文的第六段对light bulbs进行了描述。第二句中的those glass bulbs即指第一句中的light bulbs。因此,LEDs不是incandescent lights(白炽灯),也没有金属丝。所以A和B均是错误的选择。最后一段的第一个句子LEDs,on the other hand,are like tiny pieces of rock
; _% ?1 W0 u" O& mmade up of molecules that are arranged in a crystal structure中的like pieces of rock,不等于pieces of rock,所以,D也是错误选择。根据短文的最后一段内容,C是正确选择。
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-2 07:20 , Processed in 0.208407 second(s), 21 queries .