立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 99|回复: 0

[考试辅导] 金融英语阅读:Wall Street up as fears for European economy ease

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-16 08:12:37 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
  US stocks were slightly up on Wednesday after news of a successful Portuguese debt auction eased the previous day's concerns about the European economy.7 i; {1 V0 @* n  E2 v$ _
  The Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 60.17 points (0.58 percent) to 10,400.86 at 1410 GMT, while the broader S&P 500 index gained 6.28 points (0.56 percent) to 1,097.91 points." O- e; ]/ m8 o" ~# s. D) ^' u
  The tech-rich Nasdaq composite index was up 15.55 points (0.69 percent) to 2,224.16.
% I# k2 t9 d1 X5 H, u7 D! o* K  Wall Street closed with losses on Tuesday, with the Dow losing 107 points after traders returning from a long weekend holiday cashed in on last week's robust gains amid concerns over the European banking system.
* x- K/ P1 e7 D9 _, D  But Portugal's bond auction on Wednesday eased concerns over the strength of the euro-zone, said Joseph Hargett, analyst at Schaeffer's Investment research.+ s0 x. T$ q- T8 K! i6 W
  Traders are waiting for the release at 1800 GMT of the Federal Reserve's beige book, a summary of current economic conditions, which will offer further indications on how the US economy is faring.
+ u  \- I  C) M2 s: V; @1 F! \  At around the same time, President Barack Obama is expected to unveil in a speech in Cleveland, Ohio his two-year plan for 200 billion dollar tax cuts for businesses as he struggles to show progress in his efforts to battle the economic downturn ahead of November's mid-term elections.) ^1 R( T( v4 q+ p
  "Conviction is still low, pessimism high and volume light, which adds up to more volatility and range bound trading in our estimation," said Scott Marcouiller, an analyst at Wells Fargo.: l; |$ ?4 c2 h; T/ _$ @
  Among the stocks in focus, BP shares were almost three percent higher after it said in its much-anticipated report on the Gulf of Mexico oil spill that it was caused by human and technical failures by BP and other sides.( g* a' q' R5 s' S2 b  Q
  Computer giant Hewlett-Packard saw its stocks drop 2.23 percent after it had filed suit against former CEO Mark Hurd after he was named a co-president at US business software giant Oracle.: Q3 R' z- H2 U5 w
  The bond market was slightly lower.# q  n8 N" M2 ?3 x' q- `# D4 H) J0 c
  The yield on the 10-year US Treasury bond jumped to 2.648 percent from 2.609 percent on Tuesday while that on the 30-year bond was up to 3.711 percent from 3.669 percent. Bond yield and prices move in opposite directions.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-9-19 08:12 , Processed in 0.163069 second(s), 21 queries .