立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 42|回复: 0

[笔译高级] 笔译高级辅导:《呼啸山庄》翻译(19)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-16 09:20:52 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
WHAT vain weathercocks we are! I, who had determined to hold myself independent of all social intercourse, and thanked my stars that, at length, I had lighted on a spot where it was next to impracticable - I, weak wretch, after maintaining till dusk a struggle with low spirits and solitude, was finally compelled to strike my colours; and under pretence of gaining information concerning the necessities of my establishment, I desired Mrs. Dean, when she brought in supper, to sit down while I ate it; hoping sincerely she would prove a regular gossip, and either rouse me to animation or lull me to sleep by her talk.
7 M/ h( M( g# u! ]$ T% B
0 X1 p+ G) }% J# z6 q我们是多么虚伪的反复无常的人啊!我,一个曾决定要远离所有社交活动的人,不久之后,却在为自己的决定几乎不可能实现而感到幸运。我,一个软弱而不幸的人,挣扎于低落的情绪和孤独之中,直到黄昏时刻不得不放弃这个计划。当迪安太太送晚饭上来时,我假装是想了解一些仆人的必要情况,邀请她坐下来。希望她的喜欢闲聊的人,要么让我精神焕发,要么让我昏昏欲睡。   {/ d* D$ [! S& \9 o

+ k8 e6 r3 |( h' g7 W8 }****
; b$ g' ]- y+ H; j0 Wnext to impossible ----- almost impossible.
7 W& R5 t: @" h* E9 W$ I% IThanked my stars that, at length, I had lighted on a spot where it was next to impracticalbe --- after a period of time, I feel lucy that I am in a position of impossible to (keep the word) * E+ v$ K. s" R; ?
Strike one’s colours --- to give up a plan previously set
7 c2 n5 n( c+ N' w) h4 W****
0 W. O7 T' ~) q1 W  
" w+ _' z; C, e# s/ B’You have lived here a considerable time,’ I commenced; ’did you not say sixteen years?’
/ U) F( R+ B* m& R  u“你在这里住了相当长时间了,”我问道,“好像你说过是16年?”
% u6 p5 ^+ x+ n- V1 s: m/ J% e0 j' X+ [+ w6 k3 z
’Eighteen, sir: I came when the mistress was married, to wait on her; after she died, the master retained me for his housekeeper.’ 2 F0 ?+ e3 |% u2 o1 U
“18年,先生。我是在女主人嫁过来的时候来的,是来伺候她的。她死了之后,主人让我留下来做管家。”
: V& t/ ?0 g+ E$ {1 E$ |! q- O/ n; b; I$ H$ U
’Indeed.’ 4 H* E( b& Q3 u
“真的吗?”
4 J- D" ]9 b1 ~, C1 \5 e2 y7 Y
! k, o( {' a, C9 \, u2 `There ensued a pause. She was not a gossip, I feared; unless about her own affairs, and those could hardly interest me. However, having studied for an interval, with a fist on either knee, and a cloud of meditation over her ruddy countenance, she ejaculated - 3 {# ]2 v  z0 `( {- v
’Ah, times are greatly changed since then!’ # c- h' m- A! p( A1 t5 ^! W' }/ O
接下来无话。我担心她不是一个喜欢闲聊的人,或是只会聊她自己,或是我根本就不感兴趣的事情。然而,她想了一会,双拳放于膝盖上,红润的脸庞上蒙上了沉思,突然,她说道,“唉,自那以后事情就大变样了!” , c( {* t9 F1 i% R% o

' Q) l) r% N9 t1 X1 Q’Yes,’ I remarked, ’you’ve seen a good many alterations, I suppose?’ ' p. m: l' ?( Q8 N3 l! m+ {& d
“是吗,”我说,“我想,你肯定目睹了很多变化。”
% |& w# c. P- i% ]: V  b- P/ H7 g5 j3 \, m# E' N" T
’I have: and troubles too,’ she said.
) R$ Q5 v5 M5 a6 g+ y- B“是的,还有很多变故。”
* |& M3 u. i  x) b% ?
. L( s& W! \9 x’Oh, I’ll turn the talk on my landlord’s family!’ I thought to myself. ’A good subject to start! And that pretty girl-widow, I should like to know her history: whether she be a native of the country, or, as is more probable, an exotic that the surly INDIGENAE will not recognise for kin.’ With this intention I asked Mrs. Dean why Heathcliff let Thrushcross Grange, and preferred living in a situation and residence so much inferior. ’Is he not rich enough to keep the estate in good order?’ I inquired. & V1 m$ ^7 h% c  ?1 t( B% [6 f
“啊,我要把话题引到房东身上去!”我暗自想到,“要找个好的话题。还有那个漂亮的年轻寡妇,我很想知道她的过去。她是不是本地人,或者更可能是一个本地人根本就不认可的外来者。”怀着这个想法,我问迪安太太为什么希斯克利夫要出租画眉山庄,而自己却住在条件差了很多的地方。“难道是他没有足够的钱来维持他的房产?”我问道。 " I. [) E+ a! X  G: W' U0 J
1 W, U1 o; c$ n6 ?0 q2 }
’Rich, sir!’ she returned. ’He has nobody knows what money, and every year it increases. Yes, yes, he’s rich enough to live in a finer house than this: but he’s very near - close-handed; and, if he had meant to flit to Thrushcross Grange, as soon as he heard of a good tenant he could not have borne to miss the chance of getting a few hundreds more. It is strange people should be so greedy, when they are alone in the world!’ 6 g6 I5 v' G# S6 |1 D( {( ^% q# R
“有钱,先生!”她回答道。“任何人都不知道他有多少钱,但是每年都在增加。是的,是的,他有足够的钱住到比这更好的房子里去,但是他的手却很紧。如果他曾经打算搬到画眉山庄来住,一旦他听说有好的房客,他就舍不得错过多赚几百块钱的机会。一个无亲无故的人还这么贪婪,真的是很奇怪啊!”   _' }& U& ?& p- R& `

; P8 A' D! W3 P! E’He had a son, it seems?’
( S- L  S0 N  m2 P“好像,他有个儿子?”
0 o4 m/ x2 i4 o$ f$ {2 N5 n3 G) e; b) R2 t' s
’Yes, he had one - he is dead.’
; p* V5 i4 K  c$ K; |“是的,他曾经有个,已经死了.”
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 22:46 , Processed in 0.224214 second(s), 21 queries .