只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 63|回复: 0

[笔译初级] commitment的译法

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-16 09:42:51 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
【问】
" k0 k$ y! q1 T  R
4 f' g% p% C% y1 `- Z& |: R. p  美国约翰逊总统在美国教育周的文告中说 In the last decade,however,we have sought to fulfill the goal with greater zeal,greater commitment,and greater success than at any period in our history,句中的 commitment 一字,不知应如何译法,因字典上的解释似乎都不适用呢。
* c2 i0 f8 ?4 n0 D4 z5 S  |2 x- k  Y
. Z1 h7 Y5 @8 B  l* _【解答】1 [. X: |( Q: f5 t5 I0 f  o
9 n$ t0 h5 U8 A* y& e
  commitment 是动词 commit 变来的名词,意义有:) [& `: ^. q2 E' D! b
6 S7 U5 ~1 d4 K6 f) F4 x
(1)犯,行,作,如 commit a crime(犯罪),commit a blunder(犯错),commit adultery(通奸),commit murder(杀人),commit suicide(自杀)等。
/ R. O( k2 K/ Y( o! @$ D% f1 U4 T& X1 f# _
(2)委托,付诸,如 commit a thing to a friend for safekeeping(托友保管一物),commit some funds to the care of trustees (委托资金与保管委员),commit a body to the earth(flames)(埋葬)(火葬),commit a bill(议会将议案交付委员审查),commit thoughts to writing(将想法写出来),commit something to memory(暗记某事),commit a man to prison (将一人下狱),Liu Bei committed his son to the care of Zhuge Liang(刘备托孤于诸葛亮),The man was committed to a lunatic asylum(那人已被送入疯人院)等。
6 R% O+ U! k* }. e0 e. o. h& ], A: E: y6 i; E
(3)承担,如 If you agreed to give a number of lectures,help to pay your brother's school expenses,and give your wife $500 a year for clothes,you have quite a lot of commitments.(如果你同意去作一连串的讲演,答应给弟弟的学费,又说定给太太每年五百元添置新衣,那末,你就承担了不少的义务。)! b5 a& e8 \4 |8 }

& V5 t6 ?( `- b/ d; |(4)(由束缚身体之意转为)牵累,陷入,献身(devote oneself wholly to),如 Do not commit yourself.(勿自陷累,不要束缚自己),commit oneself to a promise(受诺言的拘束),He would not commit himself in any way(他不愿受任何方面的约束。)He has committed himself to the cause of education.(他献身于教育事业。); r( a6 \3 L8 Y

5 T7 G  Z& m4 ^7 S/ i( C上面第四种解释,正是问题中所需要的。全句可译作:5 n' e! |9 U# `7 i; v

% f( m; ]1 N7 ~) K0 |* k8 ?“在过去十年中,我们比历史上任何时期都力求更加热心地,更加献身地,更加成功地来达到这个目标。”
( H5 P) @& C4 i7 ]% O2 _2 k/ y/ x, i
新加坡的李光耀总理为新加坡人所下的定义说:. J, a/ u0 B2 y0 |) X. I; t+ v
$ o4 T& D& X4 o% r
A Singaporean is a person who feels committed to upholding society as it is—multi-racial,tolerant,accommodating,forward-looking—and who is prepared to stake his life for the community. (一个新加坡人就是一个对现存的多元种族、容忍互助而又高瞻远瞩的社会,以献身的精神来支持它,并准备为它付出生命的人。)
5 O9 A8 I9 \8 q3 @2 Z( V  Z0 V+ r0 I" ]6 }6 d* R
句中用了 committed 一字,报纸上把它译成“献身的”,是译得很正确的。
* G/ ~# C0 x# {8 b6 E5 |! f9 ?0 y/ ?0 {8 [" Q, A' r$ q
I believe that both candidates should make it absolutely clear that they share a basic commitment to the success of the negotiations now taking place in Paris. — Democratic presidential nominee Hubert Humphrey: X; I7 R6 M, R7 ^$ I' f. k( f3 Z
: T8 p, j; J1 x' `
(我相信两党的总统候选人,都应绝对明确地表示,他们对于促成现在巴黎举行的商谈成功,具有基本的言约。)因候选人非当权者,目下当无权问政,只能用言语约束。“言约”为中国成语,见《后汉书·徐登传》。: _) `* \" F$ Z- |4 |  ]4 W4 ^

0 m( S( @5 g# y4 ?$ [Mr. Roy Wilkins said “I definitely think we're on our way to a national commitment” to full social justice for Negro Americans- h6 L2 X6 D) U/ }3 N1 D

9 w) B( F, a9 G' T+ z) b% h(美国黑人促进总会主席威尔金斯说“我确实认为我们正走向一个举国一致的承诺”,要使黑种美国人充分得到社会的公平待遇)。这是说大家都答应这样,所以译为“承诺”。
& f# h! u) M  |& j: g
. _" l5 B7 L$ K2 o3 V) WThe second imperative of our policy for peace is that we must meet our commitments and keep our promises to use our strength to oppose aggression.— President Johnson (我们的和平政策的第二条诫命,就是我们必须尽我们的义务,守我们的诺言,竭尽所能,反抗侵略。)1 d) ^5 ^1 k/ h) m- k
2 E0 \5 X1 X' Y$ G4 f" {1 M2 y
Vietnam may be a bitter hoax or it maybe a major commitment in the defense of freedom,but it will not go away because we yell “foul”,it will not fade because we blow retreat.— Republican vice presidential nominee Agnew
* [/ h! \$ a' |, c! `
0 A' a: D+ s% c1 S9 O6 ?7 G9 n9 i(越南可能是一种痛苦的玩笑,也可能是在保卫自由中的一个大的牵累,它不会因为我们大叫讨厌而走开,也不会因为我们鸣金收兵而消失。)美国在越南战争中进退维谷,故译“牵累”。
/ U! C2 `7 b3 H. A9 d( Y$ i# m/ D8 q' a( C
The report sad that new commitments of US $50.7 million during fiscal year 1968 raised total investments of the International Finance Corporation(I.F.C's)in private enterprises in its member countries to US $271.8 million in 39 countries.  Z+ |4 k6 I; r8 h1 e3 F

" R8 R' S8 O9 _(一九六八会计年度新的投资计有五千零七十万美元,使得国际金融公司在其会员国的私人企业中的总投资额,三十九个国家共达二亿七千一百八十万美元。)又 IFC's commitment consists of a 12-year loan of U.S. $2.45 million and a share subscription of U.S. $1.01 million.(国际金融公司的投资包括为期十二年的二百四十五万美元的借款,及加入一百零一万美元的股金。)交付的资金,故译为“投资”。
- A$ P4 Q$ V) o, A& a# c  ]1 i3 l: k0 e( D: [$ Y0 c7 X
The Japanese have faithfully observed their surrender commitments.考试用书3 {' X. p* G5 v! @) d' \

5 W. @9 `# ]( W. p( r(日本人忠实地遵守了投降的条件。)投降时规定要做的,故曰“条件”。
7 x( c4 v. F1 v
% r0 I& o  \6 r8 ^# T: G& U其他如 an all-out commitment,(全面的约束),to give a precipitate commitment(给以轻率的言约),the commitment of a petition for consideration and report(请愿书交给委员会去审查并作出报告。)
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-14 04:36 , Processed in 0.277430 second(s), 21 queries .