立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 201|回复: 0

[考试辅导] 2012年在职硕士联考英语冲刺阅读精篇(六)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-7-13 00:05:55 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
  Some of the most popular attractions across America are the many free concerts offered to public throughout the year. These involve not only amateur performers, but professional artists as well. The public parks of many cities across the country usually have bandstands and large lawns. As a service to citizens, they rent out space to performers free of charge. Amateur groups, with nothing more than a desire to perform offer their talents freely to public. Semi-professional artists are pleased to get the chance to perform before the public to perfect their craft and nurture the hope of being discovered before beginning a professional career. Famous professionals also give free concerts to make contact with their admiring fans. Often such concerts are sponsored by a large corporate organization and offered to the public free of charge as a cultural service and support for the arts.  The free concerts feature all kinds of music from rock and roll, jazz, country-western to the classics. In addition, free performances may include the plays of Shakespeare or experimental theater of modern dramatists. In New York's Central Park there has long been a summer Shakespeare festival which draws huge crowds to the free performances.
5 f0 [$ }2 Z; `6 y9 Q  Of these concerts the ones held on a summer evening in the park are the most popular. They take on a festive air. Friends and groups gather together after work and spread out a blanket on the lawn facing the performers' stage. The early comers get the best locations and enjoy a picnic supper while it is still daylight. The free seating is on a first come basis. Therefore, by the time the concert begins, as many as five thousand or more people may be in attendance. The concerts usually begin at 8 p.m and are performed under the stars. The sound is made sufficiently loud so that no matter where one chooses to sit, he can hear very well. The only disturbance may be the sound of an overhead airplane on its final approach to an airport or the far-off siren(警笛声) of an ambulance on its way to the hospital. This matters little! What counts is to soak up the atmosphere created by the music and to be with friends in the fresh open air. The best part of it all is that it's free!
6 n5 ^- s' ^8 q3 I2 p  1. Many American parks give free concerts on their lawns because they_______.
& e; T; Q- [# T( i: q! f  A. have the necessary facilities
' K0 c# ?3 q5 t, b; j  B. can attract more visitors( `( B- p& w8 k- S% g$ F
  C. want to serve the public% }8 p( A% W7 L8 b4 U
  D. are in a position to invite musicians
, H: G4 G3 }% t! @  2. The concerts in parks are often financially supported by_______.9 w# E( l; t* D! `$ r
  A. the parks themselves% w& C* y0 I  d* p) L
  B. big organizations1 {/ }8 O! i  p0 J
  C. professional musicians
+ Z0 T9 U- A6 @  v7 U  D. music fans.
1 q+ [# ]" v7 {  3. For semi-professional artists, performing before the public is a good chance _________.
# n0 a6 @! i, e7 ?2 T3 n9 u" w) U8 Y7 B  A. to improve themselves in their career
7 s  O/ a' Y- Y; @  Q  B. to help train amateur performers
/ i" u2 i. C) N& \* l! l  C. to make friends with superstars% W: w1 R& ?$ @! G
  D. to get involved in profitable business# e- o/ \: n# ?
  4. The concerts can attract so many people mainly because__________.5 N( r6 Z/ {. g4 A2 z
  A. the attendants don't have to pay.% K9 ?! N$ K% p/ A5 F9 L2 k) G' d
  B. the seating is on a first come basis
. Z/ ~4 S' x9 l. Z3 d  C. they provide free picnic supper
, Q) v% o5 E( z. l/ Y( \2 o  D. they are held in open air
6 G- }3 G* W* e! X/ _. O- P  5. The phrase "soak up" in the last paragraph probably means__________.
& m, d. ^5 @9 [  u+ g- N  A. absorb7 c. S% F5 e) m1 K4 j
  B. warm up* E9 R5 H+ N, D/ `! R" G& S5 O3 z
  C. enjoy
$ M/ v6 h: k* [4 P/ B+ y  D. use up
) s: O! }9 k6 _8 d6 K) k  谜底:
8 p; j' T% h- O& L4 v! V3 @  1. C。细节题。谜底在第一段As a service to citizens, they rent out space to performers free of charge作为供给给市平易近的一项处事,公园是免费供给表演场地的。与C项中的serve the public 相对应。+ x1 y8 p/ T- a$ k0 B
  2. B。细节题,谜底在第一段Often such concerts are sponsored by a large corporate organization,表演是由大型公司赞助的。& N' J/ J) [5 x: G/ S" \& N
  3. A。细节题,谜底在第一段Semi-professional artists are pleased to get the chance to perform before the public to perfect their craft and nurture the hope of being discovered before beginning a professional career.半职业艺人很甘愿批准在公家面前表演来提高自己的演技,同时但愿自己的才能被发现,从而起头自己的职业生涯生计。故选A。2 o  U  m6 ]3 v: D2 a4 a
  4. A。细节题。谜底在最后一段,最后一句话The best part of it all is that it's free!最首要的是表演时免费的。
3 X' g" @4 v" H+ m+ U  5. C。猜词题。在最后一段,前面提到独一被打搅的处所就是头顶上飞机下降的声音和魅护车救护时鸣笛的声音,可是这些不主要,主要的是在户外的新奇空气中沉浸在音乐缔造的空气里,和伴侣一路渡过。故soak up 在此处应该仍是"享受"意思。
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-2 22:15 , Processed in 0.216311 second(s), 21 queries .