QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 72|回复: 0

[四级模拟] 英语四级考试辅导:改错精练(7)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 09:52:33 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
  When some nineteenth century New Yorkers said "Harlem",
. ]1 w1 X0 F" l! n) a5 f they meant almost all of Manhattan above Eighty-sixth Street.+ Y# h: e/ x& M3 r  I
 Toward the end of the century, however, a group
+ M2 f5 S/ G8 o% h5 I. n of citizens in upper Manhattan-want perhaps, to shape a closer 1._________
6 q- i' I' g( v9 ?1 U# J" \ and more precise sense of community—designated a section that
# o* s2 p2 t- k; P( y they wished to have known as Harlem. The chosen area was the
# m; g3 ~' o1 x( a4 H2 u Harlem which Blacks were moving in the first decades of the 2.________3 F0 n. Y) r- n* s6 l. `0 F
 new century as they left their old settlements on the middle and0 r* o. d- w: Q5 p
 lower blocks of the West Side.
! o. b4 S7 }: s$ H% N; h' k- m As the community became predominantly Black, the very5 n8 Q8 j! `9 M: m( Q4 c& z4 x
 word "Harlem" seemed to lose its old meaning. At time it was 3.________# D' t  |- ~, r3 f8 k
 easy to forget that "Harlem" was originally the Dutch name
" w4 @1 q6 _" [. k# R "Harlem"; the community it described had been founded by 4.________
' z" J$ _9 z; c: i+ ~" o people from Holland;and that for most of its three centuries—it2 R! S- t1 _: B" k. ^  [
 was first settled in the sixteen hundreds—it had been preoccupied 5.________2 A; C& A; Y# q% o
 by White New Yorkers. "Harlem" became synonymous to 6.________" }8 A9 O8 V* I8 O# ?! w4 Z
 Black life and Black style in Manhattan. Blacks living there
& y/ b2 D0 o; [, [. F) x used the word as though they had coined it on themselves—not 7.________
9 q# T  w: Q+ O( y only to designate their area of residence but to express their+ t  b7 r3 ?) J; \
 sense of the various qualities of its life and atmosphere. As the
5 `& n/ k) C, A1 P! q6 A  X years passed, "Harlem" asserted an even larger meaning. In 8.________! H, u. j2 `7 b: d/ n% W: P
 the words of Adam Clayton Powell, Sr., the pastor of the- F2 c8 c$ P5 l3 F
 Abyssinian Baptist Church, Harlem "became the symbol of liberty: W# X' G/ I3 E/ C: _
 and the Promised Land to Negroes everywhere".$ \4 g+ B7 V3 b7 D  ]  b. {0 B& e
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-9-28 20:14 , Processed in 0.199158 second(s), 21 queries .