立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 83|回复: 1

[四级模拟] 2011英语四级全真预测试卷及答案解析6

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 09:52:33 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
  For some people, simply being able to live their life with a minimum of misery and suffering is considered a success. Think of the peace of mind of the poor shepherd who tends his sheep, enjoys his frugal life with his family in the beauty of nature, and who is respected because he does a good job of achieving the goals expected of and accepted by his and his society. On the other hand, it seems that even though some people appear to be rich in material possessions, many of them seem to be miserable and consider themselves unsuccessful when judged by their own standards of success. Because not all ventures can be successful, one should not set unrealistic goals for achieving success, but if one has self-confidence it would be unfortunate to set one's goals at too low a level of achievement.
3 c8 y( W3 N% c1 \  A wise counselor once said to a young man who was experiencing frustration with his own professional success: "You do not have to set your goal to reach the moon in order to have success in traveling. Sometimes one can be very successful merely by taking a walk in the park or riding the subway downtown," The counselor added, " You have not really failed and spoiled your chances for success until you have been unsuccessful at something you really like, and to which you have given you best effort.". s8 ?9 f. X. h  [  i; N# \
  57. In the first paragraph, the author implies that ________ are essential in achieving success.
* A! t' H3 L: O( C  E; t7 ^; N  [A] ability and goals [C] ability and environment
2 c/ f/ O8 k- a, i$ [3 |# L, f( l  [B] goals and determination [D] goals and environment
9 v% _& t/ A5 I  58. The word "frugal" (Line 2, Para. 2) means ________.* t: D( r0 u$ p! L( @  O! g
  [A] wealthy [C] thrifty
# p/ Z) i) t5 x5 X+ H$ P' O  [B] wasteful [D] miserable
8 O0 ]0 b5 i! e5 {  ]  59. Some rich people consider themselves unsuccessful because ________.
( B' ]$ c8 v1 C; `+ w. E3 I  [A] their life is miserable [C] their goals are too low
+ Z) v: @/ J' X" Z, Y  [B] they do not live in peace [D] they are not rich enough by their own standards.0 R, d3 P* {  [/ S$ I5 B# `/ z. N1 U3 j
  60. The last paragraph implies that ________.$ q/ X; P. D. E' Q: v
  [A] we should have high goals [C] success means taking a walk in the park* x' U% @. \* D& o0 J
  [B] success means achieving great goals [D] success means trying one's best at what one2 C# \7 Q: E  d2 W$ [( p0 c5 B
  really likes
1 h' X9 f# T  O2 _  61. This passage mainly talks about ________.9 H- S/ {# P, O4 u2 W( u# q$ p8 d; W
  [A] the definition of success [C] how to set goals7 \8 W; ?4 q- \1 H
  [B] how to achieve success [D] the importance of goals0 x: E; y3 C5 [; ]' q) o
  Passage Two
' V/ O" n9 x- i6 l* k7 b9 M  Questions 62 to 66 are based in the following passage.3 y0 E! B% C5 D' S+ d
  When Mike Kelly first set out to build his own private space-ferry service, he figures his bread-and-butter business would be lofting satellite into high earth orbit. Now he thinks he may have figured wrong. "People were always asking me when they could go," says Kelly, who runs Kelly Space Technology, "I realized the real market is in space tourism."9 w1 p2 f* \  {! J; u. u
  According to preliminary market surveys, there are 10,000 would-be space tourists willing to spend $1 million each to visit the final frontier. Space Adventures in Arlington have taken more than 130 deposits for a two-hour, $98,000 space tour tentatively set to occur by 2005. This may sound great, but there are a few hurdles. Putting a simple satellite into orbit—with no oxygen, life support or return trip necessary—already costs and astronomical $2,200/kg. And that doesn't include the cost of insuring rich and possibly litigious(爱打官司的)passengers. The entire group of entrepreneurs trying to corner the spacetourism market has between them "just enough money to blow up one rocket".
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 09:52:34 | 显示全部楼层

2011英语四级全真预测试卷及答案解析6

The U.S. space agency has plenty of money but zero interest in making space less expensive for the little guys. So the little guys are racing to do what the government has failed to do: design a reusable launch system that's inexpensive, safe and reliable. Kelly Space's prototype looks like a plane that has sprouted rocket engines. Rotary Rocket in California has a booster with rotors to make a helicopter-style return to earth. The first passenger countdowns are still years away, but bureaucrats at the Federal Aviation Administration in Washington are already informally discussing flight regulations. After all, you can't be too prepared for a trip to that galaxy far, far away./ \8 K* I0 {' H0 m5 q0 Q3 p
  62. Which of the following is the best title for the passage?
- x  \2 }6 I# C, P  [A] Take Vacations in Space [C] Flight Regulations in Space Travels% @7 W1 _+ d) K- e) q4 q
  [B] Building Hotels in Space [D] Cost of Space Traveling
/ q5 u! z' s# K# i( k3 @  63. The phrase "bread-and-butter business" (Line 1, Pare.1) most probably means ________.8 C9 u: i# H3 o8 ?  V0 P9 C
  [A] a business to sell bread and butter [C] the business to make a living4 n2 o( G" W0 Q' C' O
  [B] a business to produce bread and butter [D] a traveling agency2 e" U: K$ U2 h2 \
  64. How much is the 2-hour space tour for each person according to Space Adventures in Arlington?5 {/ c/ q/ j6 w! |  K. v
  [A] $1 million. [B] $10,000. [C] $98,000 [D] $22,000
1 W, h, a& E& D3 c4 o  65. Which of the following is TRUE according to the passage?; N& G, V& F$ V( A1 C  ]2 z  k
  [A] The biggest hurdle for the space-tourism project is lack of a life supporting system.
0 w8 r6 Y8 ]* B9 @0 Z5 r1 N9 ~  [B] The entrepreneurs trying to explore the space-tourism have plenty of money.
' b( B4 m; j' Q0 W  [C] The government has little interests in this project." C2 }3 K5 q* X) U& |5 g2 I0 V$ e
  [D] The first passenger countdowns are within a few years.( Q4 Y' L; p- {1 ]0 b1 k$ Y
  66. What's the author's tone in the last sentence of the passage?
2 h, g; o3 I% w  s$ l: s- e4 D  [A] Objective. [C] Approving.1 `$ z0 k! S9 y" h2 G
  [B] Ironical. [D] Enthusiasti
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-18 05:52 , Processed in 0.255924 second(s), 23 queries .