立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 153|回复: 0

[六级模拟] 2011英语六级模拟试卷及解析之四(3)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 10:57:51 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
The "Natural frequency" recognized currently is the measurement of time. used by all scientists, defines the period of "one second" as exactly "9,192,631,770 Oscillations" or "9,192,631,770 Cycles of the Cesium Atom's Resonant Frequency". From the "Macrocosm", or "Planetary Alignment", to the "Microcosm", or "Atomic Frequency", the cesium now maintains accuracy with a degree of error to about "one-millionth of a second per year"。1 x8 P8 b- r# K' x7 z6 s
  Much of modern life has come to depend on such precise measurements of time. The day is long past when we could get by with a timepiece(钟)accurate to the nearest quarter hour. Transportation, financial markets, communication, manufacturing, electric power and many other technologies have become dependent on super-accurate clocks. Scientific research and the demands of modern technology continue re drive our search for ever more accuracy, The next generation of Cesium Time Standards is presently under development at NIST's "Boulder Laboratory" and other laboratories around the world。
% k- u. k( i* @! N" P2 t  Something to Remember
# J: h$ Y3 o& t3 ~9 \  The only thing that should be remembered during all this technological development is that we should never lose the ability to tell the time approximately by natural means and the powers of deduction without requiring crutches(拐杖)to lean on。- i; y; ?. ?5 V+ S: N6 G& ^
  Our concept of TIME and using it together with TECHNOLOGY still has room for radical reassessment in terms of man's evolutionary thinking regarding our view of the past, our onward journey into the future and our concept of time in relationship to universe。6 L' v9 \/ x( m$ S) h4 l
  1. It is suggested that 5,000-6,000 years ago people in the Middle East and North Africa started to allot specific lengths of time to tasks。
$ P; @6 z0 _/ S* s$ D. ?  2. Ancient Egyptian "shadow clock" or "sundial" discovered around 1500 BC, could measure passage of "hours" automatically and continuously。
& ]4 s  W, n+ I3 R) p3 y) V  3. "Water clocks" was the first device that didn't use the observation of the celestial bodies to calculate the passage of time。3 W' v) S  W) n* Z7 G
  4. Galileo Galilei built the first "pendulum clock" as early as 1656./ _& {- d, j+ S7 b4 i
  5. Water clocks were mostly used to determine ______。
( }: _/ V) P  ^. r, p6 s) H" I  6. Huygens' clock, a mechanical one, had an error of "less than only one minute a day", which was a massive leap in the development of ______。0 @1 O7 y5 X% i. g/ F0 P; F1 D
  7. Since Quartz clocks are both inexpensive to produce in mass scale and ______ in performance, they continue to dominate the market。
8 e. L- h4 D9 _, k4 v  8. Scientific research and the ______ continue to drive our search for ever more accuracy in time。0 d/ Y+ G, {7 b4 v$ C- j
  9. Of all the clocks introduced in the passage, the one with the most accuracy is ______。
4 e  v3 U( q: X, U  10. No matter how advanced the technology of measuring time will be we should never lose the ability to tell the time approximately by ______。
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 10:20 , Processed in 0.260242 second(s), 21 queries .