查看: 208|回复: 1

[专八辅导] 专业考试指导:美国文学简史(四)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 11:29:10 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
  Section 3 Late Romanticism. R' l! q$ o. }7 `5 e
  I.                   Nathaniel Hawthorne- }7 m" Q. o# y. n+ n
  1.         life
$ K6 Z8 [; E0 w. m/ K. `* h  2.         works) [* u& J; f" P8 U" l1 {
  (1)      Two collections of short stories: Twice-told Tales, Mosses from and Old Manse: i. h2 |5 T5 J
  (2)      The Scarlet Letter
# ~$ d" R/ x0 k: J  (3)      The House of the Seven Gables
8 }! A9 R. ?7 {8 \) o3 \  (4)      The Marble Faun
) j$ l& Y8 u, _  3.         point of view) m! J4 M2 P( a  {
  (1)      Evil is at the core of human life, “that blackness in Hawthorne”
0 Z2 {- r: D4 R+ p  (2)      Whenever there is sin, there is punishment. Sin or evil can be passed from generation to generation (causality).
, i) Y- a  C  A8 w  (3)      He is of the opinion that evil educates.1 ~% q6 y% B( B: ]+ {. B
  (4)      He has disgust in science.- j: ~7 m5 N' n' h" R; n
  4.         aesthetic ideas! n- l' I0 ?- C7 }# H
  (1)      He took a great interest in history and antiquity. To him these furnish the soil on which his mind grows to fruition.
2 P$ l1 |+ B* G4 J  (2)      He was convinced that romance was the predestined form of American narrative. To tell the truth and satirize and yet not to offend: That was what Hawthorne had in mind to achieve.
& C3 z0 v( A% X& @0 j5 g  5.         style – typical romantic writer% ^# w+ L: Q' l* D' |) d
  (1)      the use of symbols* l; p# q! u7 W9 `% K) u: r
  (2)      revelation of characters’ psychology3 U. R! r  T6 {
  (3)      the use of supernatural mixed with the actual/ ^5 ]* G( z9 w9 T
  (4)      his stories are parable (parable inform) – to teach a lesson1 }/ A. N0 K; m& ]* Y4 \
  (5)      use of ambiguity to keep the reader in the world of uncertainty – multiple point of view
* |" C: Q( t! j6 [8 v  II.                Herman Melville
. Z% h+ w0 ~' o/ N# N1 |  1.         life$ w" O8 P% P3 o  D
  2.         works
/ a1 g! a0 A# z4 P% p+ A& V  (1)      Typee, z) g4 d# N) j+ h1 t
  (2)      Omio
' d8 ^4 |3 h& X9 N% z; ^  (3)      Mardi9 y# B' ?$ ^" M
  (4)      Redburn
) z: |- f, @7 l4 z6 W  (5)      White Jacket
6 P) d& N: f. v% n: d% ^) `  (6)      Moby Dick& T1 s, g' M! [2 @8 T8 j6 {
  (7)      Pierre
& t( B# q+ |+ a8 E  (8)      Billy Budd
6 v1 u. P+ D* Q) k' z. S  3.         point of view% [9 P& i* \) Q; ~6 a
  (1)      He never seems able to say an affirmative yes to life: His is the attitude of “Everlasting Nay” (negative attitude towards life).
  ?* z+ B  c0 a) Z1 }  (2)      One of the major themes of his is alienation (far away from each other).9 D9 N. y1 I* c3 ?; C. ?
  Other themes: loneliness, suicidal individualism (individualism causing disaster and death), rejection and quest, confrontation of innocence and evil, doubts over the comforting 19c idea of progress
# N+ d; j; ^6 Y  4.         style2 D5 h7 J' a8 n
  (1)      Like Hawthorne, Melville manages to achieve the effect of ambiguity through employing the technique of multiple view of his narratives.
" i( t" L8 W# N. \0 y! D- U  (2)      He tends to write periodic chapters.
# j! h6 ~1 i6 o! q  (3)      His rich rhythmical prose and his poetic power have been profusely commented upon and praised./ f, ~% k/ ]; u! m6 e- G* A/ m
  (4)      His works are symbolic and metaphorical.# _, J4 ]- @+ E
  (5)      He includes many non-narrative chapters of factual background or description of what goes on board the ship or on the route (Moby Dick)
' |* @( A  w( @% M+ M( d  Romantic Poets
' Z1 k7 q: N$ f+ w: d  I.                   Walt Whitman- `' d2 F0 G; M6 Q# z' y
  1.         life
7 @- }- q% D' H! O. F' f; t& k: O+ D! H  2.         work: Leaves of Grass (9 editions)* O2 ~/ ~' j$ j- `( B1 N
  (1)      Song of Myself) u) _6 c  f7 l  _" u3 J. J! R
  (2)      There Was a Child Went Forth$ o. q0 u( j  G
  (3)      Crossing Brooklyn Ferry  w3 z0 P2 y9 R8 Q* T* W, [) o
  (4)      Democratic Vistas( D% T$ g* ?* b1 M2 u
  (5)      Passage to India9 M4 E5 ]4 S( l6 H- c- t4 X
  (6)      Out of the Cradle Endlessly Rocking+ B/ @3 z$ A! ^9 Q. v& A" D
  3.         themes – “Catalogue of American and European thought”
# }9 q0 K+ V, c. }# R  He had been influenced by many American and European thoughts: enlightenment, idealism, transcendentalism, science, evolution ideas, western frontier spirits, Jefferson’s individualism, Civil War Unionism, Orientalism.; t# T$ m8 P- R( P0 h8 o; c2 t
  Major themes in his poems (almost everything):
/ O, D* H  b/ \4 e; Q) Q/ F  l         equality of things and beings' ?' S# f7 r& g
  l         divinity of everything. O4 @7 [& f- K& L, F8 N0 q' H
  l         immanence of God" ], w" K( N, I! \
  l         democracy/ o$ v' {# F$ n% P4 r
  l         evolution of cosmos' }- G) v4 T% v1 D8 c# A- }* u/ m
  l         multiplicity of nature6 r7 m) y( N5 W( y+ ~9 w
  l         self-reliant spirit  N. c5 j1 {9 T% U+ ~" y
  l         death, beauty of death" o# z- ]5 H0 E: G( s
  l         expansion of America
5 k$ q* B2 U) j, d  l         brotherhood and social solidarity (unity of nations in the world): |6 e/ L0 |. J4 B
  l         pursuit of love and happiness! \' {$ A/ M% d' n/ w  s$ Y# h
  4.         style: “free verse”" {4 u' Q% ]' z+ ]& O5 a
  (1)      no fixed rhyme or scheme
/ v0 X0 Q5 K' {( T2 A3 v3 ]  (2)      parallelism, a rhythm of thought& h) @1 Q' u6 ?+ p/ B& c4 j+ r0 x
  (3)      phonetic recurrence
, `: z- S8 N" H3 {  (4)      the habit of using snapshots2 K2 u, [( F4 T4 C5 ~7 ^
  (5)      the use of a certain pronoun “I”7 A* M9 |) w; X2 p5 n
  (6)      a looser and more open-ended syntactic structure
+ y& |8 w6 {+ Y& m8 {8 q# J) ^  (7)      use of conventional image# A- V, f/ U1 m' X7 m" P
  (8)      strong tendency to use oral English4 y% A/ s5 y' u! E4 }. x' f
  (9)      vocabulary – powerful, colourful, rarely used words of foreign origins, some even wrong; v1 C. H- ~- h6 j& d
  (10)  sentences – catalogue technique: long list of names, long poem lines
  A% D2 _) ^- p) I0 q  k/ t3 w, n  5.         influence
8 L  x$ S8 v5 n  @) a9 o  (1)      His best work has become part of the common property of Western culture.  c' d( R2 t9 Y
  (2)      He took over Whitman’s vision of the poet-prophet and poet-teacher and recast it in a more sophisticated and Europeanized mood.; g7 l4 H3 p  P7 h
  (3)      He has been compared to a mountain in American literary history.
: V$ s) s. H6 |; [$ |( M9 W  (4)      Contemporary American poetry, whatever school or form, bears witness to his great influence.
/ Q  |7 ]% a! o" e2 U* y  II.                Emily Dickenson
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 11:29:11 | 显示全部楼层

专业考试指导:美国文学简史(四)

1.         life5 y. R  A6 [; z9 b# `0 ?0 h7 `8 G4 H% D
  2.         works
. s' b& y7 ]0 ]- ?: q1 C2 A  (1)      My Life Closed Twice before Its Close
4 i; `! p" ?6 B0 p* C% }! N+ x  (2)      Because I Can’t Stop for Death! q) X9 Q* @6 @9 X8 W9 x9 ~1 V
  (3)      I Heard a Fly Buzz – When I died$ F, A, f( c* h( p
  (4)      Mine – by the Right of the White Election0 V7 S) J9 y8 V, L5 Q
  (5)      Wild Nights – Wild Nights2 y+ B2 B8 |5 j' ^
  3.         themes: based on her own experiences/joys/sorrows( f' a% r5 Y' y* p
  (1)      religion – doubt and belief about religious subjects
$ m) X; [. `' `- W, x* V  (2)      death and immortality
/ n( w  k& e% I4 k2 R  (3)      love – suffering and frustration caused by love9 _' O1 x8 L# t7 E+ ~
  (4)      physical aspect of desire" @* R, z7 m4 ?: r9 |/ T! Y
  (5)      nature – kind and cruel
4 W, H0 S0 q$ c, n3 I  (6)      free will and human responsibility9 s0 s: z; ?& v% O
  4.         style
! k+ X  A. w; S7 k: M: R  (1)      poems without titles. k, `+ r% g/ ~# M, N
  (2)      severe economy of expression. B+ Z( x0 W9 d6 D: _3 R
  (3)      directness, brevity
5 B' \# l) e. H* h  (4)      musical device to create cadence (rhythm)
3 x0 F; j6 h2 H7 P  (5)      capital letters – emphasis
6 l4 O5 X1 l% P, q# k/ w" \  F  (6)      short poems, mainly two stanzas
0 X. Q: U7 C6 j' ~  y9 h4 L' `8 \. }  (7)      rhetoric techniques: personification – make some of abstract ideas vivid
" ~9 M: I  B- n' q$ }9 \/ Q$ Q) g  III.             Comparison: Whitman vs. Dickinson2 Q/ ~& F2 B6 W6 R, Q5 ^) ]
  1.         Similarities:9 T2 w! }5 a0 ~. Z5 \
  (1)      Thematically, they both extolled, in their different ways, an emergent America, its expansion, its individualism and its Americanness, their poetry being part of “American Renaissance”.4 l* P  b) n5 c% n! C, i4 D- n* n
  (2)      Technically, they both added to the literary independence of the new nation by breaking free of the convention of the iambic pentameter and exhibiting a freedom in form unknown before: they were pioneers in American poetry.5 r6 q6 {  \* }3 g( Y5 |
  2.         differences:
! u% t% j3 U& S7 t2 n$ p: ~  (1)      Whitman seems to keep his eye on society at large; Dickinson explores the inner life of the individual.: F8 [7 U/ F8 Z$ F
  (2)      Whereas Whitman is “national” in his outlook, Dickinson is “regional”.
5 n+ z! z3 q* N9 _  Dickinson has the “catalogue technique” (direct, simple style) which Whitman doesn’t have.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-9-21 15:45 , Processed in 0.514820 second(s), 23 queries .