[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 11:29:10 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
  Chapter 6 The Post-War Period: 50s & 60s& z5 M9 H% _  ^( q, {, o
  I.                   Historical Background – multi-faceted
7 Z' W' L& F6 H/ {, j+ W  1.         Cold War+ A$ k' U1 S* }
  2.         McCarthyism (persecution of communists)% W* e# v" ]: x: |
  3.         Korean War6 u9 V6 ?; q0 \9 g
  4.         Civil Rights Movement( O8 R6 N( r, n7 \
  5.         Counter-culture Movement – political, economical and military achievement5 ?3 S9 V9 l1 U9 g3 A
  II.                Literature in the 1950s9 {9 b# I- G& v5 q% _/ v( h+ S
  1.         Regional literature emerged from the south, etc. Many women writers appeared.
3 w$ B$ M) B/ \6 y; g9 `6 }  2.         Dramatists wrote about everyday people, e.g. Arthur Miller.6 o: t0 m1 `( m9 c6 Y/ c" k
  3.         Minority literature developed quickly.
7 n5 I: z1 D" m8 u  III.             Literature in the 1960s. L3 k+ o9 W$ v
  This period is the rising period of post-modern literature. Many forms of post-modern fiction appeared, such as metafiction, surfiction, parafiction, self-reflexive fiction, self-begetting fiction, anti-novel, etc. The literature in this period is considered as “multi-cultural” literature. The same mood in this period is despair, but continuing to search absurdity of modern life; lonely, but searching for the meaning of existence; identity.% ~' x/ _: B' U% c1 K8 h
  Section 1 Poetry! d5 C/ R& H5 l
  I.                   Features
! n) B  W5 N9 a  d1 n  1.         Some poets found inspiration in the past.1 k" e0 V+ `, x/ ]
  2.         Poetry became more attuned to political and social issues of the period.- V) M  f  m0 E* N% \7 }  Z
  3.         Poets became more visible in American public life.( j- F! t7 G! B2 d8 {( Y. C
  4.         There was no prescribed form for poetry.
8 f" d  A( k" j6 q: }( ?  5.         Poets became more political. Themes such as homosexuality, racism, etc. are included in the poems. In 1960s, poetry became more and more political.3 v/ V1 J; a  ?2 [1 W# l
  II.                Schools of Poetry (time, representatives, major features)
  S" B3 p9 K- |" O0 R' ~  1.         Confessional Poets: Robert Lowell
' s0 T9 M# P) l& a2 {  The greatness of Lowell lies in the fact that, in talking candidly about himself, he is examining the culture of his nation. The identification of personal experience with that of an age has always ensured greatness and even immortality as it did.6 ?$ k4 f* u: M$ t$ c3 q+ H: y$ W6 h
  2.         Black Mountain Poets: Charles Olson* P" B" ]" J3 G  x. x
  There is an emphasis on the importance of the moments of awareness. It portrays a world of “awakened, contemplative awareness”, one in which civilization appears alien, cold, and almost unreal.
" e5 v+ y- M+ X; w$ ~  E' A- _6 J  3.         Beat Generation: Alien Ginsberg
* I# I# [2 k. a9 Q: p. w: e; s  In the fifties, there was a widespread discontentment among the post-war generation, whose voice was one of protest against all the mainstream culture America had come to represent
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-9-21 14:45 , Processed in 0.514343 second(s), 21 queries .