立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 142|回复: 0

[考试试题] 2011年专四考试阅读篇模拟试题(11)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 11:54:21 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
  The status of women in colonial North America has been well studied and describe d and can be briefly summarized. Throughout the colonial period there was a mark ed shortage of women, which varied with the regions and was always greatest in t he frontier areas. This favorable ratio enhanced women’s status and position and allowed them to pursue different careers. The Puritans, the religious sect that dominated the early British colonies in North America, regarded idleness as a s in, and believed that life in an underdeveloped country made it absolutely neces sary that each member of the community perform an economic function. Thus work f or women, married or single, was not only approved, it was regarded as a civic d uty. Puritan town councils expected widows and unattached women to be selfsupp orting and for a long time provided needy spinsters with parcels of land. There was no social sanction against married women working; on the contrary, wives wer e expected to help their husbands in their trade and won social approval for doi ng extra work in or out of the home. Needy children, girls as well as boys, were indentured or apprenticed and were expected to work for their keep.
3 g" U9 [5 ]8 C4 V4 ^% F  The vast majority of women worked within their homes, where their labor produced most articles needed for the family. The entire colonial production of cloth an d clothing and partially that of shoes was in the hands of women. In addition to these occupations, women were found in many different kinds of employment. They were butchers, silversmiths, gunsmiths, and upholsterers. They ran mills, plant ations, tanyards, shipyards, and every kind of shop, tavern, and boardinghouse. They were gatekeepers, jail keepers, sextons, journalists, printers, apothecarie s, midwives, nurses, and teachers. ( t" j  S4 G0 Z, A( [$ r
  1 What does the passage mainly discuss?
4 C6 E. C! h5 Z0 q  A. Colonial marriages.# |9 d% w- |9 M2 s  O& @
  B. The Puritan religion.
, x3 M1 {  W) p4 y2 s1 R  C. Colonial women’s employment.% B  |2 C1 b9 H
  D. Education in the colonies. 
  I. O5 b  j& \( j  2. According to the passage, where in colonial North America were there the fewest women?3 q+ r5 T+ G" f  I7 n$ K) a
  A. Puritan communities.
! q! o/ z1 y, Q( \) a  B. Seaports.
7 g( r& f$ `5 }/ j$ C. a" n7 S  C. Frontier settlements.) I; w) |' d! Y1 T) z0 V
  D. Capital cities. 1 ~+ j3 n% u0 w! L# J
  3. It can be inferred from the passage that the Puritans were ___ ___.  m4 ^, L5 c' ], W3 d" b
  A. uneducatedB. hardworking
; m( z+ v- C7 l$ c! V3 L7 }, G% v  C. generousD. wealthy # M/ K- V* h' r4 {9 J  @7 ?
  4. According to the passage, Puritans believed that an unmarried adult w oman should be ______.5 S2 S7 o8 p5 J$ d  h; g
  A. financially responsible for herself
1 h. d) h) o3 S  s3 I  B. returned to England
, F. c9 H$ k+ G' |: l2 x3 B( Y  C. supported by her family
4 ?! a. d. ^; ^  S3 R  D. trained to be a nurse 
: U. @+ Z8 H# t$ h1 n3 _+ z  5. According to the passage, what did the Puritans expect from married w omen?5 G3 I, o+ q% b, W6 |1 Z; E- C" g
  A. They should adopt needy children.% F# o& a! v" h3 D/ y. i& t1 t0 q
  B. They should assist in their husbands’ trade or business.
9 h' e( v4 f9 \. X  C. They should work only within their own homes.& |( _0 A0 K' n0 J
  D. They should be apprenticed. 
9 `: V- \+ B* x' w8 o* Q" a  1. C) 此题为主旨题。通读文章后很明显可知此文讲述美国殖民地时期妇 女的就业情况。7 i1 o  p3 ?" i: y9 D% {& \  E. z
  2. C) 根据第一段第二句可知,在殖民地时期美国边疆地区最缺少妇女。 因此选项C为正确答案。+ b3 k$ o, I6 G1 v/ A; ^
  3. B) 此题为推断题。根据第一段第四句 “The Puritans, the religio us sect that d ominated the early British colonies in North America, regarded idleness as a sin , and ...”可知,清教徒崇尚辛勤工作,视无所事事或懒惰为罪恶,由此可推断他们一定 是勤奋的。3 \: |, [  p# M6 j8 J0 u
  4. A) 可用排除法做此题。通过阅读文章可知选项B, C, D在文中根本没 有提及,而根据第一段第六句中的selfsupporting可选A。* s( |& [5 Q( j
  5. B) 根据第一段第七句 “There was no social sanction...working; on the contrary, wives were expected to help...”可知选项B为正确答案。
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 13:55 , Processed in 0.239680 second(s), 21 queries .