只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 114|回复: 1

[考试试题] 英语专业八级考前拉力赛(4)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 11:54:21 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
  TEXT B+ A2 ~+ i5 d" p0 [0 J( D+ q7 p
  No Debating5 r, Z% O, s- P: X
  In politics,in the courts,even on the ubiquitous TV talkshow,it is good form to pick an intellectual fight.People attack each other—hurl insults,even—and it counts as logical argument.I cannot understand it.
% w% d6 A6 j/ i; e# C' n- U2 S  It seems that our society favours a kind of ritualised aggression.Everywhere you look,in newspapers and on television,issues are presented using the terminology of war and conflict.We hear of battles,duels and disputes.We see things in terms of winners and losers,victors and victims.
6 m  Y$ `8 {. S* b9 Q+ G  The problem is society's unquestioning belief in the advantages of the debate as a way of solving disagreements,even proving right from wrong.Our brainwashing begins early at school,when the brightest pupils are co-opted onto the debating system.They get there because they can think up a good argument to support their case.Once on the debate team,they learn that they earn bonus points for the skill with which they verbally attack,or insult,the opposing team.They win if they can successfully convince the audience that they are right,even if the case they are arguing is clearly nonsensual.They do this by proving themselves to be stronger,brighter,more outrageous,even.. G6 ?) w& R9 ~. M6 e4 t: i9 \
  The training in this adversarial approach continues at our tertiary institutions.The standard way to present an academic paper,for instance,is to take up an opposing argument to something expressed by another academic.The paper must set out to prove the other person wrong.This is not at all the same thing as reading the original paper with an open mind and discovering that you disagress with it.9 Z, n2 B% O: q: q
  The reverence for the adversarial approach spills over into all areas of life.Instead of answering their critics,politicians learn to sidestep negative comments and turn the point around to an attack on accusers.Defence lawyers argue the case for their clientseven when they suspect they may be guilty.And ordinary people use the same tactics—just listen to your teenager next time you pull him up for coming home late.You can be sure a stream of abuse will flow about your own time—keeping,your irritating habits,your history of bad parenting.
6 P8 E: o: V8 z" L4 j9 Q" R  Unfortunately,the smarter your kid,the better his or her argument against you will be.You'll be upset,but you'll comfort yourself that those teenage monsters of yours will one day turn into mature,though adults who can look after themselves—by which you mean,of course,they will be able to argue their way out of sticky situations.
6 N2 s1 Q4 z( Z  P) M: w, l4 x" r  It's not that you should never use angry words,or take up a position in opposition to someone or something.There are certainly times when one should take a stand,and in such cases strong words are quite appropriate:if you witness injustice,for instance,or feel passionately about arother's folly.Mockery—so cruel when practised on the innocent—can be very useful in such situations.There is no better way to bring down a tyrant than to mock him mercilessly.
  \, H: r! m8 d% P: r" p* S  What I dislike is the automatic assumption most people have when it comes to disagreements:they should attack,abuse,preferably overpower their opponent,at whatever the cost.The approach is to so ingrained that“compromise”has become a dirty word.We feel quilty if we are conciliatory rather than confrontational.We have trained ourselves,or been brainwashed into believing,that to be pleasant is a sign of weakness.1 C$ u+ W" f% ]  R
  But just think how easy it can be to persuade a “difficult”person to be considerate of you or your wished when you are pleasant to them,and unthreatening.Give them a way out of a potentially agressive situation without losing face,and they will oblige you willingly.
) @, _% o7 L. F1 w1 @% \# d  Discuss a subject without taking an adversarial position and you will find the other person happy to explore the possibilities with you.I'm prepared to bet on it.You'll get closer to the truth of the matter than you would by going to each other hammer and tongs., A: a( V" A8 b- `9 `& w1 g( H
$ \0 f6 J% b0 J; j* i; w8 B  q
  18The style of this text is____.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 11:54:22 | 显示全部楼层

英语专业八级考前拉力赛(4)

</p>  A.descriptive B.narrative C.expositive D.argumentative, A$ [% V- y: p4 M8 C/ J
  19At the end of the text“going at each other hammer and tongs”means____.
4 z3 O- Y- Y1 {- ~  A.compromising or consulting with a hammer B.mocking or scoffing with tongs$ H1 `8 g7 P' M& t, k
  C.attacking or abusing stealthily D.quarrelling or fighting noisily
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-2 07:02 , Processed in 0.206562 second(s), 23 queries .