只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 98|回复: 1

[PETS二级] 2011年公共英语考试:PETS二级阅读理解训练(1)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 12:34:02 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Cultural Relics
6 _( D7 t) i: e: U5 b* VA8 {3 U: `" E) r, y2 E. u
Philippe Charlier, a scientist in Paris, France, began to study the supposed Joan of Arc1 Relics from the church in Normandy, France last year. Charlier’s team studied the relics —including a part of cloth and a human rib2 —and gave them chemical tests.
9 R+ N" k( X, _% aClose study of the human rib showed that it had not been burned but may have been heated to make its surface black, Charlier said. Meanwhile, the piece of cloth contained large amounts of pine pollen3. "Pine resin4 was widely used in Egypt," Charlier explained, adding that pine trees did not grow in Normandy during Joan of Arc’s time.. ]+ R. l: f7 I- ]
Final proof came from carbon-14 chemical test, which dated the human remains between the third and sixth centuries B.C. Charlier believes that people in France found a mummy5 and not the remains of Joan of Arc.9 ]2 a  |4 l3 L- k; P
Joan of Arc Relics always attract great attention because Joan’s life was short but great. Late in the Hundred Years’ War, which was fought between France and England from 1337 to 1453, she said that she heard the voice from God telling her to recover her country from the English. After many battles against the English she was caught, and in 1431, she was burned to death in the French city of Rouen.
8 |; ~: [& M! T7 z. W9 H6 _The supposed remains of Joan of Arc were discovered in 1867 and were officially recognized by the government. However, Charlier doubted it —Are they the real remains of Joan of Arc? After years of study, he thinks that he has found the answer.
# R) g" n3 D1 ?Notes:
& h' j& _% w. d# o: x) @% [( ]% A1. Joan of Arc贞德(法国女英雄): {2 }4 b% s8 u: O" B# C
2. rib n.肋骨
$ q- U0 p& F! c$ I: Q3. pine pollen 松树花粉
  C  T, q" U: X) `% _, E# d+ w( m4. pine resin 松树脂; T* i2 y# P& S' ^
% f# E' t: o: V. R6 t( N
5. mummy n.木乃伊
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 12:34:03 | 显示全部楼层

2011年公共英语考试:PETS二级阅读理解训练(1)

</p>1. This passage mainly talks about _____.
, {6 b1 t+ ]/ x! G4 y) M; R% s; DA. the research that shows that the remains of Joan of Arc are actually an Egyptian mummy
! _) U0 @+ j7 s0 ~B. scientist Philippe Charlier’s new finding of Joan of Arc Relics
: h7 n* n% ]6 M+ L9 o; P" G5 yC. the importance of Egyptian mummies in scientific research( H1 V" o3 \1 l) E& N0 U; l
D. the history of Joan of Arc and the Joan of Arc Relics" |4 h( S8 p$ C  Z8 e0 b0 N
2. According to the passage, ___________ was NOT studied.
* b& o- `# T. x* r8 S& Z5 ?* F& i9 GA. a piece of cloth/ V( ^/ t& }' `
B. a human rib
) h2 W% m0 V. `) C4 {C. carbon 14
7 X9 i7 c' C3 [) Q% F4 QD. the site where the relics were discovered
/ U) {: A5 g2 m, I" R0 x8 m3. Why did the scientist Charlier start this research?
" g7 E( h' O4 v2 y3 F# VA. He was asked to study Joan of Arc’s remains by the French government.0 p4 u, V" H7 |1 R: k
B. Joan of Arc Relics always attract great attention.
- J, O* z4 j1 E; @. L; H! m) p$ BC. He thought that Egypt was the place of origin before the announcement.
' r' Z9 k7 {0 v9 O% p+ a8 }( [D. He doubted if Joan of Arc Relics were real.1 ~6 b- B2 ~! ?3 G7 a$ r' t0 ]
参考答案:A  D  D
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-18 20:54 , Processed in 0.399406 second(s), 23 queries .