立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 69|回复: 0

[PETS三级] 2010年公共英语三级阅读辅导(三)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 13:02:30 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
When a 13-year-old Virginia girl started sneezing, her parents thought it was merely a cold. But when the sneezes continued for hours, they called in a doctor. Nearly two months later the girl was still sneezing, thousands of times a day, and her case had attracted worldwide attention.
3 x4 J$ u% [/ S) q7 J  Hundreds of suggestions, ranging from"put a clothes pin on her nose"to "have her stand on her bead"poured in. But nothing did any good. Finally,she was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital where Dr. Leo Kanner, one of the world's top authorities on sneezing, solved the baffling (难以理解的) problem with great speed.
( \' M& Y; M. I  He used neither drugs nor surgery, curiously enough, the clue for the treatment was found in an ancient superstition about the amazing bodily reaction we call the sneeze. It was all in her mind, he said a view which Aristotle, some 3,000 years earlier, would have agreed with heartily.5 E2 D* l$ n( ^' K
  Dr. Kanner simply gave a modern psychological interpretation to the ancient belief that too much sneezing was an indication that the spirit was troubled; and he began to treat the girl accordingly.7 Y7 o  H3 M/ {0 M2 Y
  "Less than two days in a hospital room, a plan for better scholastic and vocational adjustment, and reassurance about her unreasonable fear of tuberculosis quickly changed her from a sneezer to an ex-sneezer," he reported.3 L0 l$ P# D7 Z0 K8 d
  Sneezing has always been a subject of wonder, awe and puzzlement. Dr. Kanner has collected thousands of superstitions concerning it. The most universal one is the custom of begging for the blessing of God when a person sneezes-a practice Dr. Kanner traces back to the ancient belief that a sneeze was an indication that the sneezer was possessed of an evil spirit. Strangely, people over the world still continue the custom with the traditional, "God bless you" or its equivalent.& l  V6 v2 y: h# ]4 V
  When scientists look at the sneeze, they see a remarkable mechanism which, without any conscious help from you, takes on a job that has to be done. when you need to sneeze you sneeze, this being nature' s clever way of getting rid of an annoying object from the nose. The object may be just some dust in the nose which nature is striving to remove.2 n/ {+ o% p% w# \1 z0 y) s' I+ J
  46. The girl sneezed continuously because she+ E; r* l, q) U5 p! D% U
  A.was ill
& L7 s% ]- D* ^  n  B.was mentally ill6 ?  v8 W" [; U& ?+ z  t" d- g! ?
  C.had heavy mental burden
+ Z7 e' s+ Y9 m2 m  D.had attracted world-wide attention
4 ]( X$ e8 M4 x" l4 }0 O( g  47. When the girl began to sneeze continuously! V7 b, D0 u9 T% P% S! A' w3 O* ~0 [
  A.a lot of people offered their advice$ g/ V# l9 b* ^. P; b$ S0 S
  B.she was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital
+ Z# N8 J* ~) C8 n  C.she was given a treatment found in ancient superstition; h4 K/ _8 t* @* C4 X
  D.many doctors treated her in different ways
" T7 q% y7 e# v  48. Dr. Kanner cured the girl by
. i. }( G5 i) W- H' ]- ^3 [( @  A.using Aristotle' s method
$ R. x- k7 e! F2 O  H  B.giving her psychological treatment
. l/ {5 f( B" B  C.practicing superstition
; v  Y, [# R  m7 c  D.treating her tuberculosis% O% W# {9 F3 @, h9 g
  49. When a person sneezes, we say"God bless you"because9 ]$ W. n& ~/ y* H4 [
  A.it' s a tradition. O2 m0 b0 D- u& s5 N; c
  B.the person is possessed of an evil spirit. g! ]0 S$ O7 F- m4 U: W
  C.the person is ill9 W5 X5 i* h- a9 {) q% O$ T0 I
  D.God will bless those who sneeze! q7 G# e- D3 ]! \2 F0 s+ e
  50. According to scientists people sneeze because; s+ S, q( S3 V% I9 K
  A.they are ill4 b9 k, w) n. h2 B
  B.to sneeze is human nature2 ]0 F4 g, d/ p* v7 g
  C.they do not need any conscious help
* y* W7 e9 T" o1 u( K4 p  D.there are unwanted things in their noses
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-17 10:07 , Processed in 0.229803 second(s), 21 queries .