QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 186|回复: 3

[PETS四级] 公共英语四级辅导:PETS4阅读精讲(27)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 13:19:23 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
  Use of English
3 T0 d) i1 A0 g0 q  Read the following text. Choose the best word or phrase marked A, B, C or D for each numbered blank. ! ^7 h! A: z$ M  V" m. O
  Today the official language of the United States and _1_ of Canada is English. However, French _2_ became the official language _3_ a war. 6 N% w3 i) r5 M& s
  The French and Indian War _4_ between 1754 and 1763. The name of this war is not _5_ because the war was actually _6_ England and France. The Indians fought _7_ of the French.
' X& s( }% X- t0 Q1 |  France and England were trying to _8_ control of North America. France _9_ Canada, and England held part of _10_ is now the United States. However, France tried to _11_ its land _12_ southward into New York, pennsylvania, ohio, and Virginia. When the French built a fort _13_ the ohio River, the residents in Virginia sent George Washington to attack the fort in 1745. _14_, the French defeated Washington. 2 h& h! k0 n- t/ H+ K
  The French, _15_ by the Indians, outsmarted the English and won many early battles. _16_, the British began to do well _17_ the French. In the battle in Quebec, Canada, General Wolfe of England _18_ General Montcalm from France. _19_ generals died in this battle, but the English outlasted the French and won the battle. _20_, most of North America today has the English culture and language.
  |6 A/ L8 u, z) ~' {/ q  1. A. most B. majority C. plenty D. lot
" z- x5 f& D, m7 s' d) ]4 D  2. A. largely B. already C. almost D. mostly
8 \: W$ M' W! j- q1 K  3. A. by means of B. because of C. according to D. through ; k/ e! |9 n$ m1 I, U3 C* c/ N
  4. A. fought B. was fighting C. has fought D. was fought
# e) B1 ^6 w: T: {9 T. c  5. A. accurate B. indefinable C. serious D. indefinite 3 g( ~- v; I% O' {* ~
  6. A. among B. within C. between D. inside
; j( f" t/ a, a) N: x* X4 n  7. A. for the side B. on the side C. for the part D. on the part 7 v# D4 J, V6 I; y7 O5 V
  8. A. gain B. demand C. request D. remain
8 G0 N* D! j# L1 g, J& M: i2 F  9. A. earned B. held C. mastered D. kept : L1 m7 I& P; s7 f
  10. A. which B. that C. where D. what
% A$ [$ V! J) k, J5 `  11. A. stretch B. widen C. expand D. lengthen / F, r) H; a. ]
  12. A. moved B. to move C. move D. moving
! q; m& _8 J9 W- `/ T# q' z! E$ t" |  13. A. on B. in C. above D. among ; `3 _5 N4 m* l4 g/ Q
  14. A. therefore B. however C. although D. hence 2 y8 K$ q5 Z% b- H* Q9 t/ v
  15. A. to be aided B. aided C. was aiding D. aiding
+ ]+ H& x. m5 Z, m  16. A. later B. lately C. lastly D. late 2 ]# C3 _) K" @- \/ U; G7 ]  d
  17. A. opposite B. towards C. against D. over 2 ]+ w; s/ b# X$ @: I( Y5 v
  18. A. faced B. facing C. was faced D. to face
& \1 M1 u. v# T% i; a  19. A. either B. both C. all D. two
: j# `* ?( U7 |7 W  20. A. yet B. though C. but D. thus
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 13:19:24 | 显示全部楼层

公共英语四级辅导:PETS4阅读精讲(27)

</p>  解析:
* v! d( G4 V3 J) m) C  1.A. 这句话的意思是:今天美国和加拿大大部分地区的官方语言都是英语。Most of大多数,大部分;majority 大多数,但前面要加定冠词; lot不能单独of和连用; plenty of大量的.
) H. c; p3 p. @5 f$ V' Y' j( G/ B  2. C. + R. {, n; L9 p# n0 b# q
  这句话的意思是:由于一场战争法语差不多变成了官方语言。almost几乎,差不多。这里讲的是法语差一点成为官方语言,但是并没有真正成为官方语言,所以不能用already。 . G2 |9 i! M& C( {4 E% o# H
  3. B. % {$ j! N0 L( }) h
  By means of 通过…方法;because of 由于,原因是;according to 根据,随…而做更改;through通过,穿过。
* g: ^4 H- \/ l# _8 S/ J  4. D.
+ z  z" V( P! U+ w8 p  这句话的意思是:印法战争发生再1754-1763之间。这里表示进行战争,所以要用被动语态。
; y9 b; }' v- G* H$ ?( s) T6 l& a$ x  5. A.
4 J7 h, A0 E3 e1 H3 L7 X  这句话的意思是:这场战争的名称并不准确,因为实际上战争是再英国和法国之间进行的。上面提到战争是印法战争,但实际交战双方是法国和英国,所以它的名字是不准确的。indefinable不确定的;serious严肃的,严重的;indefinite模糊的,不确定的。
3 l6 t. W8 l+ R0 r3 E6 p  6. C. / |* d# p+ D% i4 X$ T* q
  这里指英法之间进行战争。二者之间要用between;三者或三者以上用among. / o. \# n# Q, d) w% Q8 J2 O
  7. B.
7 \* s1 |+ H2 }  这句话的意思是:印度人站在法国人这边战斗。on the side of 站在…的立场上,站在…的一边,赞助。
2 r, X. S2 D+ j2 U' T6 t2 K  8. A.
6 ]! C% x3 O1 \; N/ v- ^6 I/ g  这句话的意思是:法国和英国试图获得对北美的控制。gain获得;demand要求;request请求;remain保持。gain the control获得控制,得到控制权。
- W/ W: L$ B$ g& \' g% o. [  9. B.
6 }: o/ e2 Y$ Z4 s+ z$ Q3 E7 \; s  这句话的意思是:法国控制着加拿大,英国控制着今天美国的部分地区。从and前后的两个句子对比可以推断出,这个空要填的词和后面已经出现的那个动词是相同的。Hold 的本意是“抓住,握住”,这里表示一个国家对另外一个国家的控制。 6 Y1 z: f6 q6 w  |9 ]+ S6 w/ j
  10. D.
* F) E) X9 v) T8 b  _; m4 ~  这里要用一个引导词来引导一个宾语从句,做介词of 的宾语。引导词在宾语从句中做主语。
% L. P- `2 v6 l- |" _- C1 u- U- S  11. C. * R5 S6 m! m- n9 g
  这句话的意思是:法国试图扩张它的领土,向南扩张直到纽约。扩张领土常用的搭配是expand the land. widen 扩大,不能反映出法国的侵略性行为。 * Q1 D3 Y  P  B" N
  12. D.
- ^3 Q5 D) w) P! p9 d* X$ q  P  这里是现在分词短语做状语,表示“向南移动”,其他动词形式不能做状语。
+ ]" F+ M* g! e" b2 r2 K# \! s  13. A. 9 ^2 ]/ b6 N+ ]8 W: T5 g! K2 j) K
  这句话的意思是:当法国人在河上建起了一座堡垒时,表示 “在河上” 用介词on. In the river 表示在河里。 ( D- W# o# @3 B$ H3 W+ [
  14. B.
" @& t4 q; x3 o* @* U  这句话的意思是:然而,法国人击败了华盛顿。这是对于上一句的转折。although 尽管,虽然;therefore因此,所以;however然而,但是;hence从此,因此。 来自www.Examw.com% T% Y& t8 |* w& h
  15. B. / H4 C4 f/ Y% m  M; G. C% s
  这句话的意思是:在印度人的帮助下,法国人以机智击败了英国人,赢得了早期很多战争。前面已经讲到了印度人是站在法国人这边的。很明显,这里使用了过去分词短语做the French 的定语,四个选项中,只有aided是过去分词形式。 ! z/ Q) a/ T) P+ f, ?+ G1 F
  16. A.
$ z0 P3 v% k8 a  这句话的意思是:后来,英国人在对抗法国人的战斗中打的很顺手。上一句提到了法国在早期的战斗中处于优势地位,紧接着,这里有讲英国人在后来的战争中处于上峰。Later 后来;lately 最近;lastly 最后,终于;late adj. 迟到的,不能用在此做状语 # B" ]+ h) q+ L" L! z. k
  17. C. 5 d- G) u5 H! ]4 T  S1 J/ E6 p
  这里要表达的意思是“反抗,对抗”,而且根据句子的结构可以判断此处应用的是介词。所以只有against可以用在这里。opposite (位置)在…的对面;towards 朝,向;over 在…的上方.
7 T" V6 O9 j+ Y/ O# `  18. A.
) _, n/ ^) i9 g3 t+ G  这句话的意思是:在决战中,英国的Wolfer 将军遇到了法国的Montcalm将军。这里表达的是“与碰面,遇到”,所以表主动,而非被动。与全文叙述的时态保持一致,这里也要使用一般过去时。
, m, |( i7 h" g/ t$ r  19. B. : {7 n; |, x2 k" f/ ^; k
  这句话的意思是:两个将军在这场战役中都死了。这里所修饰的名词general是复数,而且表示 “两者都”而不是“两者都不”。 8 \$ {! L" s; l0 v* o
  20. D. 4 t/ {& p3 s: \% S7 u( j
  这句话的意思是:因此,今天的北美大部分地区都拥有英国的文化和语言。这里是对文章的内容的总结。既然英国在战争中取得了胜利,那么它肯定获得了对北美的控制,因此北美到处都有英国文化的影子也就不足为奇了。Yet 然而;though 尽管;thus 因此。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 13:19:25 | 显示全部楼层

</p>  Reading Comprehension
! s* E4 }0 Q% v; b6 v  Read the following texts. Answer the questions below each text by choosing A, B, C or D. $ ?* n/ r, i. y% h8 r
  American Education System
9 D1 u% K: p. [7 c4 Q3 P  The American educational system is based on the idea that as many people as possible should have access to as much education as possible. This fact alone distinguishes the US system from the most others, since in most others the objective is as much to screen people out as it is to keep them in. the US system has no standardized examinations whose results systematically prevent students from going to higher levels of study, as the British and many other systems do. Through secondary school and sometimes in post-secondary institutions as well, the American system tries to accommodate students even if their academic aspirations and aptitude are not high, even if they are physically ( and in some cases mentally) handicapped, and even if their native language is not English. ! M7 r) x, _% e. v7 {% ^, D5 v" \
  The idea that as many as people should have as much education as possible, of course, an outcome of the Americans’ assumptions about equality among people. These assumptions do not mean that everyone has an equal opportunity to enter Harvard, Stanford, or other highly competitive post-secondary institutions. Admission to such institutions is generally restricted to the most academically able. The less able can usually matriculate in a post-secondary institutions, as the Malaysians observed, but one of lower quality.
3 |' Y4 Z( B4 R1 W9 X' m  As of March 1982, only 3 percent of all Americans aged 25 or more had completed less than five years of elementary school. Seventy-one percent of those 25 or more had completed four years of high school or gone beyond that, and 17.7 percent had completed four or more years of post-secondary education. The median number of school years completed was 12.6. The number of tertiary (that is post-secondary) students per 100,000 inhabitants was 5,355. some contrast: the number of tertiary students per 100,000 in the population was 4,006 in Canada. In no other country, according to UNESCo data, was the number of post-secondary students above 2,700 per 100,000. Korea had 2,696 tertiary students per 100,000 inhabitants; Japan, 2030; the USSR, 1,890; Hong Kong, 1353; Malaysia, 472; and Ethiopia, 48.
; |5 c5 S$ D6 M! M; e. n  Naturally, an educational system that retains as many as the American system does likely to enroll a broader range of students than a system that seeks to educate only the few who seem especially suited for academic work. In the American system, academic rigor tends to come later than it does in most other systems. In many instances, American students do not face truly demanding educational requirements until they seek a graduate (that is, a post-baccalaureate) degree. Many other systems place heavy demands on students as early as their primary years-though college may be far less demanding, as is the case in Japan.
9 _7 G" j9 k. L) k1 \9 m8 r4 i# m  7 z7 O3 _3 k, t* Z
  1. According to the passage, the US is different from most other countries in ___. 0 T; c% X* g7 R* K( U
  A. culture.
$ X7 S3 _0 `( c; n  v  B. economy 4 a% B; m0 G( p/ ?
  C. history , o2 V# M" F# p" l8 b3 k0 \1 n( v4 y
  D. educational system.
& i! N9 j7 a9 i    `( K. B6 |; q
  2. The idea based in by the American educational system is that ____.
! w9 x+ V3 G' t& I9 H% C$ ^: E8 w  A. the result of the examination systematically prevent the students from going to a higher levels of study. 9 u" W' s' R9 u6 @' a; W
  B. the US tries as much to screen people out as it is to keep them in.
* ?' N0 h" x( E4 ^" @  C. as many people as possible should have as much education as possible.
3 O6 k- l" e. u/ W8 l8 w  D. The US should have standardized ecamination.
7 }8 h/ J+ X/ J  
% E; A' k( v  U& v1 b9 s$ w6 f) U  3. The american’s assumptions about equality among people result in ___. 6 U6 l9 V0 I/ O! @6 E" @
  A. standardized examination. % l3 N9 `$ X7 {
  B. academic aspirations.
1 ?0 \6 a6 }9 B' {5 R5 W2 T6 w0 r  C. the idea of more people and more education.
$ F8 s( l/ M' L; h  D. Educational development. 1 f9 }# E% J. ^9 c% n
  / m0 w3 R7 H& e* N
  4. In which countries was the number of tertiary students above 2,700 per 100,000?
$ f: Q( c: P$ d  A. In US and USSR
- o# C" f& r- m/ n% T2 k8 Q, g  B. In Canada and Malaysia. . ]6 u, U* `% r! n
  C. In Argentina and Canada.
6 u$ Y6 l% p) z6 w  D. In Canada and US. 6 T2 b, i4 s) |) [9 M3 ?  z
  ' f9 H" U  z8 j: J7 }
  5. The American educational system places heavy educational demands on students ___. 0 I1 a# _/ Y5 n  z% p
  A. as early as their primary years. 3 W, N/ X4 L+ s+ D
  B. before they seek a graduation degree.
) D" `4 h! x; H+ }" h  C. after they begin to seek a graduate degree. 8 T7 j7 `0 h. P2 p8 _
  D. before they seek a bachelor degree. . O8 S: f! O! v5 ?3 f/ o
  解析:
, Q" M8 n6 y% S" K6 b, ^  1.D
4 |! @: y# w9 Q# R  文章的第一段的第二句话提到,单是这一教育体系的不同,就可以时美国和其他国家很容易地区分开来。所以说,美国与其他国家在教育体系上是不同的。 % O7 {& w8 n. c, P& N
  2.C
1 \: ]) l- v; c. C+ o5 w( P  文章的第一句话就明确地指出美国的教育体系的基础是使尽可能多的人接受尽可能多的教育这一理念。
/ ]$ v0 m6 R; `2 s1 r! v( U6 ]  3.C
5 @* _7 F% X/ ]  从第二段的第一句话可以看出,使尽可能多的人接受尽可能多的教育是美国人关于人人平等这一假设的结果。也就是说,美国提出的人人平等的假设导致了教育理念的产生。 . Q6 s/ R, {. r' c6 ~* b: k8 G0 h
  4.D + \' [( ~0 [1 @& B+ W
  文章的第三段指出,在加拿大,每10万人中接受高等教育的人数是4,006;而在美国每10万人中有5,355人接受了高等教育。所以每10万人中接受高等教育的人数在700人以上的只有美国和加拿大。 : P) S1 v4 _* h
  5.C
" s2 g" k. C. d+ K  文章最后一段指出,美国的教育体系对成绩的要求比其他国家晚。只有当学生想要获得硕士学位时,成绩才会被摆到一个重要的位置上来。只有在这个阶段,美国的教育体系才会对学生提出较高的要求。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 13:19:26 | 显示全部楼层

</p>  Does a bee know what is going on in its mid when it navigates its way to distant food sources and back to the hive, using polarized sunlight and the tiny magnet it carries as a navigational aids? or is the bee just a machine, unable to do its mathematics and dance its language in any order way? To use Donald Griffin’s term, does a bee have “awareness”, or to use a phrase I like better, can a bee think or imagine?
4 r' i7 c( W5 m9 b  There is an experiment for this, or at least an observation, made long ago by Karl Von Fisch and more recently confirmed by James Gould princeton. Biologists who wish to study such things as bee navigation, language, and behavior in general have to train their bees to fly from the hive one or another special place. To do this, they begin by placing a sugar very close to the hive so that the bees (considered by their trainers to be very dumb beasts) can learn what the game is about. Then, at regular internal, the dish or whatever is moved progressively farther and farther from the hive, in increments of about 25 percent at each move. Eventually, the largest is being moved 100 feet or more at a jump, very far away from the hive. Sooner or later, while this process is going on, the next position had been planned. This is an uncomfortable observation to make. 7 s+ k; ?$ @5 {/ m; l; E- W4 S$ u7 C0 p
  1. The best title for the passage is ___.
3 y  v# O( O5 r. }5 `6 Y$ A+ q/ `  A. Teaching the Bees to Navigate.   R1 g; ^. l, r7 _
  B. Testing the Awareness of Bees
% S4 }$ I9 l* A5 ?7 H- V$ t. X" C, U' h  C. Navigational Techniques of Bees. ! p0 a+ Y7 l7 L" J' V7 j6 e
  D. Behaviorists versus Biologists: A Zoological Debate. 2 \0 |( l* h9 C5 _+ k
  2. The word “awareness” appears in paragraph 1 in quotation marks in order to___.
. @" N/ o/ _8 s) f$ B, m9 f  A. how the author’ preference for the term.
: G( f* G9 {7 S- v  B. indicate that it is being used humorously. 7 `% i, f0 Y# y* X
  C. acknowledge Donald Griffin’s previous use of the term.
# a5 V- r& }  ~3 v. F, ~+ u3 K/ [  D. point out that it was used differently earlier in the passage.
2 D$ h; _0 {+ L" D( U: g) J  3. According to the author, sugar was used in the study____. 3 \6 R+ M9 r' W5 D9 u% H/ `/ }
  A. to reward the bees for performing the experiment correctly.
5 M2 V% s& j2 k' [4 Q) r" U  B. to retain the bees to travel to a particular place. - K1 b% c- @  f9 U, `
  C. To ensure that the bees knew where the hive was. - n' n+ u# f6 L- c* f
  D. To ensure that the bees would obey the orders.
8 d; Y! w0 n$ u& p8 ^2 S2 B1 O  4. The result of the experiment explained in the passage seems to indicate that____.
# f' V# B' Q/ O9 z  A. research using bees is too dangerous to be conducted successfully.
7 C5 ]4 y) }, G8 O" s  B. bees are unable to navigate beyond 100 feet their hive. 7 K! Y: v+ {, d0 T/ }2 Q3 ^
  C. scientist can teach bees to navigate. ; l5 P% N9 }7 u: Q  d$ P! `
  D. bees are able to perform limited reasoning tasks. + K" a1 f) z4 ]+ }7 m2 ]
  解析:
1 ~& O5 b  W7 E4 A  i; v  1.B . @& y) i# _- e5 y: {+ S# k( M
  答案的信息我们可以从第一段中的问句中获取,而且可以在第二段的开头得到确认wish to study such things as bee navigation, language, and behavior in general,就是要研究蜜蜂的飞行,语言和行为,看蜜蜂是否是有意识的。
# I  L& m. k+ U  2.D 1 \2 r7 Q" E  P$ P1 j6 t
  这不是作者喜欢的名词,也没有幽默的用法,前面也没有提到过该词。
0 ]  I  a0 O8 t1 t( i3 \  H  3.C
0 T! z  ?* J3 N, }  在蜂巢附近放糖是为了使蜜蜂找到巢,然后测试他们的意识。 7 U) S0 X9 l4 s1 R& n
  4.A # p9 R6 v5 r0 E& Q* D! ^
  我们可以找到推断的线索,This is an uncomfortable observation to make. % G" s7 }) h; G6 a& k& f
  Translation: 考试用书* v' _1 _) O5 u% o! W' N. E! ~
  1.In the mid-fifties, we demanded that our schools create a harmony among races that existed nowhere else in American life.
. b' H9 T# Y4 ^) x  x4 Z1 y/ ^  2. In the mid-sixties, when our young were engaged in a rebellion that seemed to threaten virtually every ideal we embraced as a nation, we insisted that the school restore social order and preserve the status quo. In the mid- seventies, we instructed our schools to go one step further.
. }$ f; s( a, o  3. Clearly, this prolonged and ill-advised effort to make the educational system the principle tool for social reform has contributed to such problems as the sharply increased incidents of functional illiteracy.
( Q9 s6 ~5 K" U7 f% u" U  4. We are insisting both that the schools improve the way they teach English, so that language is removed as a barrier to learning and that they increase the number of courses taught in students’ native tongues, so that the pace of learning begun in their homelands continues uninterrupted.
; M7 _  h7 z8 n7 P4 T  5. once we stop asking the schools to do too much they can get on with solving the more problem of performing their basic task-that of education-more effectively. $ P# l0 o: M. r# A! v4 ^. i, s' `* {
  1. 50年代中期,我们曾要求学校创造一种种族和谐的气氛,那是在美国的生活中还没有这种气氛。
8 E5 W; \" _- |& W$ I6 K# d  2.60年代中期,当我们的年轻一代 参与了一场造反运动而这场造反运动似乎会危及到我们作为一个国家所信奉的全部理想时,我们又坚持要学校恢复社会秩序并保持现状。
4 N" p9 W, o2 N- J3 B( ?  3.很明显,为把教育制度变成社会变革的主要手段而进行的旷日持久的,不明智的努力已经引发了诸如半文盲的激增等一系列的问题。 ( ^/ q5 ~4 `! S7 A6 E; u2 ^# h
  4.我们不但主张各学校改进英语教学的方法以使语言不再构成对学习的障碍;同时还主张增加用学生们的母语教授课程的数目,以使学生们在他们的祖国开始的学习进度得以继续,不被中断。 3 a/ y0 }5 X" H& c* C
  5.一旦我们不再对学校提出过分的要求,它们就能继续有效的解决教育--这一事关它们根本任务的敏感问题。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-20 03:05 , Processed in 0.175434 second(s), 27 queries .