QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 206|回复: 3

[PETS四级] 公共英语四级辅导:PETS4阅读精讲(43)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 13:19:23 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
  Reading Comprehension
. T0 b" O; Q8 k+ h6 f$ h, `3 j  Read the following two texts. Answer the questions below each text by choosing A, B, C or D. The panoramic View of the United States
  ~. I( `) k- X: y4 R  On a topographic map of the United States, the mountains look like jagged masses, the plains like vast open flat spaces, and the rivers like meandering thread. Today, highways and railways crisis-cross the land, making travel easy. But only a few generations ago,the topographic features on the map represented great dangers and difficulties. Today ‘s visitors, riding over a good road in the Cascade Mountains in the west coast states of oregon and Washington may see marks on the rocks made by ropes where pioneer settlers painfully lowered their hours and wagons down cliffs to reach the fertile river valley far below. In the Sierra Nevada Mountain of California, the main route now runs through a mountain pass which was once too narrow for a wagon to go through. pioneer families reaching that pass had to take their wagons apart piece by piece, carry them through, and then, reassemble them on the other side. 1 Z: k& j" K* N
  Modern means of communication and transportation have enabled man to overcome these obstacles. poles and wire now carry electrical power and telephone communication over ridges that are so deep in snow that only persons wearing snowshoes or skis can reach them. Railroads run along the sides or mountains or in tunnels through the burning heat of deserts.
3 l2 `- A9 U6 Q3 L  Much of the geography and history of the United States was determined some 10.000 to 25.000 years ago. At that time, the northern ice cap flowed over the North American continent and ground into it a number of major changes. These ice flows determined the size and drainage of the great lakes. They changed the direction of the Mississippi River. They pushed soil off a huge part of Canada into the United States, thus created the northern part of the Central Agricultural Basin--one of the richest farming areas in the world.
3 i! e/ U  R. X* l8 u0 x: c* O  on the Atlantic shore of the United States, much of the northern coast is rocky and uninviting, but the middle and southern Atlantic coast rises gently from the sea. It starts as low, wet ground and sandy flats, but then becomes a rolling coastal lowland somewhat like that of northern and western Europe. The Appalachians, which run roughly parallel to East Coast, are old mountains with many coat-rich valleys between them. To the west of the Appalachians lie plateaus built up over the centuries from bits of stone that were washed down fro the mountains and then cut into small hills by streams. Beyond is the great Central Lowland that, in its configuration, resembles the plains of Eastern Europe, or Manchuria, or the Great plains of Australia, or certain plains in Africa or South America. 1 M" z( B) g5 }. r* \' S5 B
  North of the Central Lowland, extending for almost 1.600 kilometers, are the five Great Lakes which the United States shares with Canada. The lakes, estimated to contain about half of the world’s fresh water, were gauged out of the land by the ice that once covered the northern United States. ! c' U4 a# Q# Z% K$ b
  West of it are the Great plains, likened to the flat top of a table which is slightly titled upward to the west. They are stopped by the Rocky Mountains, the backbone of the continent. The Rockies are considered young mountains: of the same age as the Alps in Europe, the Himalayas in Asia. Like these ranges, they are high, rough and irregular in shape.
1 X/ x0 m! a' O( q3 g  1. The title of the passage “the panoramic view of the united states” means _____. ) Y4 L  E' A* x1 h
  A. the over-all view of the United States
' A8 d3 b8 ]( e' i7 c- o6 q5 {/ s  B. the mountainous view of the united states
& z9 Y+ }- m! a9 G/ U" O  C. the views of great plains of the United States $ W  C* G; C4 l4 o' C" B2 N- P
  D. the coastal view of the United States + c, d5 b$ g7 m( y2 X
  2. What happened to the early pioneer settlers when they tried to go through the mountains to the valleys?
( S2 V! V1 v  Y  A. they had roads as good as today’s
8 }$ @% C+ p4 e! C0 C  B. they met a lot of difficulties 3 k5 H6 n% {$ Y+ m0 a- x
  C. they had to use ropes
! a  ]1 m8 \" I  \: n/ E  D. they had to use narrower wagons
( z2 k6 K( z9 a) T8 u% I9 Q% f  3. Today, those obstacles in the mountains areas are overcome _____. / ?: B4 Q% u) l; c
  A. by using snowshoes and skins
2 W8 y' ]- A: N6 x7 ~1 X3 F  B. by using ropes and wagons - T; N8 U+ t5 A# E
  C. by using modern means of communication and transportation
2 c2 e* H, U" i" [0 x$ T2 y  D. taking the wagons apart piece by piece and reassembling them
; M2 e! {! h' ?( `  4. The direction of the Mississippi River was changed by _____.   T! }% t" B( h+ Y  j$ x& \
  A. the ice flows some 10.000 to 25.000 years ago 8 L( h; s4 B+ J) F3 |2 d2 }5 D
  B. the drainage of the Great Lakes " L* t" O* H! @
  C. the soil that was pushed off from parts of Canada into the United States 0 K8 k9 L$ A' Y
  D. by the size of the Great Lakes ( W$ s, R# M/ a( c7 Q, k, f
  5. Which mountain range is considered the backbone of the American continent? $ }/ A0 I" w8 f3 i+ X4 h
  A. the Alps % D5 H: A9 t4 }6 c* X, N* }/ t
  B. the Appalachians
6 N5 M9 {% N" f0 |( t3 g  C. the Sierra Nevada Mountains
( c# v4 h/ {0 g+ ^+ h8 w& H  D. the Rockies
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 13:19:24 | 显示全部楼层

公共英语四级辅导:PETS4阅读精讲(43)

</p>  解析: # ^4 j7 }1 P( L7 }$ P
  1. A
) t; `8 k( }% {5 ?- m* g  这个问题问我们文章题目的意思是什么。我们知道,文章的题目在很大程度上是文章主旨的体现。虽然在文章的题目中有一个词panoramic考生可能不是很熟悉,但是只要能把握作者的写作意图,把握文章的中心思想,我们就可以基本上猜测出这个词的意思是“全景的,总体的”。因为本位讲述的是美国的地理状况,其中包括海岸,山脉和平原等,也就是对这些美国的一个总览。我们也可以用排除法。B ,C, D选项中分别说文章的意思是“对美国山脉平原和海岸的观览”,而全文的内容涉及了这三个方面,所以应该是全景的观览。 中 华 考 试 网
  ^2 W# h9 n' w( @: I3 C# G, ]  2. B
, |& @4 [  n# ^* D- N  从第一段的描述中我们可以知道,早期的垦荒者没有我们今天这么好的道路,他们在穿越山脉和峡谷时经历了常人难以想象的困难。他们必须把马匹和火车沿着山崖放低以到达远方肥沃的流域。当经过特别狭窄的道路时,他们必须把马车拆卸成一个个小块,带着他们继续前进,然后在路的另一头再将马车组装起来。所以,早期的垦荒者穿过山脉和峡谷时遇到了许多困难。 / ^# W! V+ e8 O* p
  3. C
, ~9 ?$ ^4 {  l  第二段的第一句话: Modern means of communication and transportation have enabled man to overcome these obstacles. 现代的工具和交通方式已使人们解决了这些障碍。所以我们可以知道,山脉地区的障碍时由现代的通讯和交通方式解决的。 1 Q( b' B0 n" u( z& q* ]' z
  4. A
' Q& I: m& j: h/ N" I: p+ ~1 j( u  第三段开头告诉我们,在10,000 到25,000年前,北部的冰流在北美大陆带来许多大的变化。变化之一就是冰流改变了密西西比河的流向。所以,密西西比河河流的改变是由10,000 到25,000 年前的冰流引起的。 * C+ Q9 _% o8 E" y* P% n
  5. D
9 j) J1 N# {1 D. Q) l  文末有这样的一句话:They are stopped by the Rocky Mountains, the backbone of the continent.(大平原)被大陆的“脊椎”落矶山脉所阻断。这里的the backbone of the continent是Rocky Mountains的定语,由此我们可以得出,落矶山脉被看作是美国大陆的“脊椎”。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 13:19:25 | 显示全部楼层

</p>  The Mandans
% |3 X  O, G8 Y  Before the 1500’s, the western plains of North America were dominated by farmers. one group, the Mandans, lived in the upper Missouri River country, primarily in present-day North Dakota. They had large villages of houses built close together. The tight arrangement enabled the Mandans to protect themselves more easily from the attacks of others who might seek to obtain some of food these highly capable farmers stored from one year to the next. 5 r# P; f# ?+ T9 c6 e+ {4 [
  The women had primary responsibility for the fields. They had to exercise considerable skill to produce the desired results, for their northern location meant fleeting growing seasons. Winter often lingered; autumn could be ushered in by several frost. For good measure, during the spring and summer, drought, heat, hail, grasshoppers, and other frustrations might await the wary grower. ( Y% g3 |7 L# [% d1 U. t/ A5 Y  n
  Under such conditions, Mandan women had to grow maize capable of weathering adversity. They began as early as it appeared feasible to do so in the spring, cleaning the land, using fire to clear stubble from the fields and then planting. From this point until the first green corn could be harvested, the crop required labor and vigilance. ! @5 e1 f; J' Q& {
  Harvesting proceeded in two stages. In August the Mandans picked a smaller amount of crop before it had matured fully. This green corn was boiled, and shelled, with some of the maize slated for immediate consumption and the rest stored on animal-skin bags. Later in the fall, the people picked the rest of the corn. They saved the best of the harvest for seeds or for trade, with the remainder right away or stored for later use in underground reserves. With appropriate banking of the extra food, the Mandans protect themselves against the disaster of crop failure and accompanying hunger. 来自www.Examw.com
3 ?. K" `& Z  K# o2 L  t  The women planted another staple, squash, about the first of June, and harvested it near the time of the green corn harvest. They picked it, dried it, and strung the slices before they stored them. once again, they saved the seed from the best of the year’s crop. The Mandans also grew sunflowers and tobacco; the latter was the particular task of the old men. 8 a/ c3 z) R' E8 C: ^% ]
  6. The Mandans build their houses close together in order to___.
" A+ T0 u# N0 g/ l! t  X) k  A. guard their supplier of food.
( Z  E6 e# q3 L- l9 [  B. protect themselves against the weather
5 N3 A. J* ?3 l* a- i' {& ^  C. allow more room for growing corn 9 g' {7 A! K1 }! ?
  D. share farming implements
; k5 {0 _0 b, V. ?) b0 K  7. Why does the author believe that the Mandans were skilled farmers? 5 V! ~6 O. I7 A4 N8 c# b4 J
  A. They developed effective fertilizers. 5 A; C$ F! p1 v1 B6 D4 Q
  B. They developed new varieties of corn. ! e4 g$ O* Y1 k0 \9 S/ z' ~
  C. They could grow crops in most types of soil.
' {& X, C$ C2 s+ {$ \  D. They could grow crops despite adverse weather.
$ J! T5 {7 H+ J3 H8 m+ b  8. Which of the following processes does the author imply was done by both men and women? A. Clearing fields.
, z* A+ ]& }0 O6 T  B. planting corn. % \/ B& w* h$ L3 d$ s4 [
  C. Harvesting corn. 4 m0 N5 z0 Z' P
  D. Harvesting squash. / V3 z. {) j6 ^1 {8 n
  9. According to the passage, the Mandans preserve their food by ____. ; M) e$ h* b% X% a$ U) D  z9 P
  A. smoking
3 _& k/ O1 m- x% I( l' ?  B. drying
7 @( Q8 J* v# l  C  X  C. freezing ) J' h# T$ L+ _4 `% N' x1 L# g) i; X
  D. squash
  _  g6 r& d& J3 t9 f7 S  10. Which of the following crops was cultivated primarily by men? ; U  ^( o% l+ x
  A. Corn.
9 H' e3 U7 s% H+ p/ F5 E7 r  B. Squash. 3 }) J7 e4 R' U% `6 I
  C. Sunflowers.
' C: H* W8 u7 W* X. j# {  D. Tobacco.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 13:19:26 | 显示全部楼层

</p>  解析:   S. d* i$ @7 y! Z4 d
  6.A ( f* ]. G# t( c2 A1 _. w7 ?# K
  文章的第一段的最后一句话告诉我们,曼丹人之所以把他们的房屋紧紧建在一起,是为了保护他们积攒的粮食免遭他人抢劫。利用群体的力量谋求生存和发展,这正是作者所说的曼丹人能力的体现。
1 Z& [' L6 @' |+ x# q& l  7.D
; ]% o& o1 Q" D4 J  P. S  作者在文中多次提到了曼丹人是熟练的农民。第二段提到,曼丹人居住在美国北部,这一位置意味着他们只有短暂的耕种季节。尽管一年四季的天气条件恶劣,但是曼丹妇女采取的一些补救措施仍然可以使他们获得较好的收成,如春天尽早耕种。作者认为,曼丹人可以克服不利的天气条件的影响耕作农作物,体现了他们在农业生产中的熟练技能。 # v0 M1 g1 _" ~
  8. C ! G* n% o. m! ~% Q, N4 Y
  文章第二段告诉我们在庄稼主要由妇女耕种;第三段妇女负责清除农田;最后一段中,妇女收割南瓜。可以排除A, B, D。文章的第四段,作者告诉我们:八月份曼丹人要在庄稼完全成熟之前收获少量的庄稼,人们在深秋季节收割剩余的玉米。在收割玉米的描述中,作者使用了 the Mandans,they和the people等词,通过这些词,作者在向我们暗示了玉米的收割是由男性和女性共同完成的。 ' _6 P7 t0 V/ x: M; j5 @
  9. B 5 ?( t+ m% g# ~: S# g- t& ^; e. L
  文章的第四段和第五段中提到了曼丹人在保存食物之前要经过烘干或干燥这一步骤,曼丹人通过对食物进行干燥来储藏食物。 : _! M- h7 I7 o1 y, Y' q
  11. D
6 m' ]1 A6 o8 _. o; A; f9 m3 I  文章的结尾:The Mandans also grew sunflowers and tobacco; the latter was the particular task of the old men. 曼丹人也耕种向日葵和烟草;后者是老年男性的特定任务。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-20 01:38 , Processed in 0.485624 second(s), 27 queries .