立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 70|回复: 0

[PETS四级] 2011公共英语四级冲刺模拟题:阅读理解(4)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 13:19:23 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
   I remember the way the light touched her hair. She turned her head, and our eyes met, a momentary awareness in that raucous fifth grade classroom. I felt as though I‘d been struck a blow under the heart. Thus began my first love affair. Her name was Rachel, and I mooned my way through the grade and high school, stricken at the mere sight of her, tongue-tied in her presence. Does anyone, anymore, linger in the shadows of evening, drawn by the pale light of a window—her window—like some hapless summer insect? That delirious swooning, asexual but urgent and obsessive, that made me awkward and my voice crack, is like some impossible dream now. I would catch sight of her, walking down an aisle of trees to or from school, and I’d become paralyzed./ S+ U% D! n; {& n3 E
  She always seemed so poised, so self-possessed. At home, I‘d relive each encounter, writhing at the thought of my inadequacies. We eventually got acquainted and socialized as we entered our adolescence, she knew I had a case on her, and I sensed her affectionate tolerance for me. "Going steady" implied a maturity we still lacked. Her Orthodox Jewish upbringing and my own Catholic scruples imposed an inhibited grace that made even kissing a distant prospect, however fervently desired. I managed to hold her once at a dance—chaperoned, of course. Our embrace made her giggle, a sound so trusting that I hated myself for what I’d been thinking. At any rate, my love for Rachel remained unrequited. We graduated from high school, she went on to college, and I joined the Army.0 L3 n% X3 O2 V2 U" u" E  a; C
  When World War II engulfed us, I was sent overseas. For a time we corresponded, and her letters were the highlight of those grinding endless years. Once she sent me a snapshot of herself in a bathing suit, which drove me to the wildest of fantasies. I mentioned the possibility of marriage in my nest letter, and almost immediately her replies became less frequent, less personal. Her Dear John letter finally caught up with me while I was awaiting discharge. She gently explained the impossibility of a marriage between us. Looking back on it, I must have recovered rather quickly, although for the first few months I believed I didn‘t want to live. Like Rachel, I found someone else, whom I learned to love with a deep and permanent commitment that has lasted to this day.9 R, B5 w/ v2 ?
  1、According to the passage, how old was the author when his first love affair began?6 t- u! f# u8 S* e: j
  A. Before he entered his teens.6 F- @- S. j- Q% q" y
  B. In his early teens.
% Q5 I: p# J) p2 _1 E9 D. @. q  C. In his middle teens.1 k1 Z# {) m. X: H8 U5 k
  D. When he was just out of his teens.
/ N  N' h# P6 y, S# M  「正确答案」A
+ j& B9 v9 R; b' J) E* v. u1 Y- o" z  2、How did the author behave as a boy in love?
3 O  M+ r( F' h) r6 F9 H- l8 R. H  A. His first love motivated him toward hard study.- ~5 }0 s4 f3 j
  B. His first love evoked sentimental memories.! p8 r3 \" U6 E5 r1 P# v0 ]
  C. He was overpowered by wild excitement and passion.
7 D- j* `# {: \) R* Y  D. He fulfilled his expectations and desires.( I7 ^" A4 M" l% c. `, t
  「正确答案」C
' Q+ a6 `4 b$ E% E4 ]$ k/ B  3、According to the passage, what held them back from a loving kiss?
/ q7 I" r- ~9 U5 Q* \+ C  A. Her Jewish origin did not allow it.
+ I5 r7 a) c0 n+ I# ~* s  B. His Catholic adherence forbade it.
  i1 B. d6 v7 Q1 R* t  C. They were not sure whether it was proper or ethical to kiss in line with their religious decorum.  ]" i0 h) e& ^" v
  D. Kissing was found to be inelegant or even distasteful.
$ e* t8 e% d9 m4 A; E  「正确答案」C( O' w9 |! J% `# w9 r
  4、According to the passage, what was Rachel‘s response to the author’s tender affection before the war?" O- v8 M1 I. P6 j& R$ E, _
  A. She recognized and accepted his love affectionately.
( P1 ~, p0 V( M4 K% ?2 {  B. She thwarted his affection by flatly turning him down.
4 p& L$ W" b% T( [' b& N  C. She fondly permitted him to adore her without losing her own heart to him.
% i6 R( }& S, ?0 v! T3 a  D. She didn‘t care for him at all and only took delight in playing with his feelings., y2 m/ ^- ~( ]( r: m) Z
  「正确答案」C7 g7 o! P, Q# R% a7 i" m) G: s" ~3 L: L
  5、Which of the following best describes the organization of the passage?
# j6 c# c$ B# B5 K0 K+ s4 F  A. Statement and example.5 r; I% ^  a0 z/ `8 S
  B. Cause and effect.# T! f+ Y! O$ F- X0 n0 r' }0 @0 A
  C. Order of importance.. ^4 \' J; W) O+ R1 J7 ~3 t
  D. Linear description.% L- U; N7 ?; d; p- T! {$ T
  「正确答案」D
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-20 14:09 , Processed in 0.217701 second(s), 21 queries .