立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 118|回复: 0

[考试试题] 公共英语四级考试综合能力提升练习四

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 13:22:22 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
 I remember the way the light touched her hair. She turned her head, and our eyes met, a momentary awareness in that raucous fifth grade classroom. I felt as though I’d been struck a blow under the heart. Thus began my first love affair. Her name was Rachel, and I mooned my way through the grade and high school, stricken at the mere sight of her, tongue-tied in her presence. Does anyone, anymore, linger in the shadows of evening, drawn by the pale light of a window-her window-like some hapless summer insect? That delirious swooning, asexual but urgent and obsessive, that made me awkward and my voice crack, is like some impossible dream now. I would catch sight of her, walking down an aisle of trees to or from school, and I’d become paralyzed. She always seemed so poised, so self-possessed. At home, I’d relive each encounter, writhing at the thought of my inadequacies. We eventually got acquainted and socialized as we entered our adolescence, she knew I had a case on her, and I sensed her affectionate tolerance for me. "Going steady" implied a maturity we still lacked. Her Orthodox Jewish upbringing and my own Catholic scruples imposed an inhibited grace that made even kissing a distant prospect, however fervently desired. I managed to hold her once at a dance-chaperoned, of course. Our embrace made her giggle, a sound so trusting that I hated myself for what I’d been thinking. At any rate, my love for Rachel remained unrequited. We graduated from high school, she went on to college, and I joined the Army. When World War II engulfed us, I was sent overseas. For a time we corresponded, and her letters were the highlight of those grinding endless years. Once she sent me a snapshot of herself in a bathing suit, which drove me to the wildest of fantasies. I mentioned the possibility of marriage in my nest letter, and almost immediately her replies became less frequent, less personal. Her Dear John letter finally caught up with me while I was awaiting discharge. She gently explained the impossibility of a marriage between us. Looking back on it, I must have recovered rather quickly, although for the first few months I believed I didn’t want to live. Like Rachel, I found someone else, whom I learned to love with a deep and permanent commitment that has lasted to this day. : x8 ~$ l8 l$ l/ F' ~% k
; m0 r" ^$ R& A
  1、According to the passage, how old was the author when his first love affair began? - z! s/ w  t# J# |
% G9 Q2 Y! {  D( j' N
  A. Before he entered his teens. ; |9 B0 C5 |+ j/ a9 O

8 u8 W' O6 U' X, m8 k% l  B. In his early teens.
! l  k% a4 B: A( d
+ y3 e! l* r4 c' t5 x  C. In his middle teens.
6 J! C, ~/ k* Q! q0 ?" y1 ?/ Y  q/ s
: p$ [3 c4 o# i5 d% ]  D. When he was just out of his teens.
, c6 V! g! }0 g, ?0 y6 p1 V0 |/ ^0 z) Y5 q) E/ z' h
  (本题分值:1.5分)【正确答案】A
6 b/ J- W5 W  a8 ]- H5 n
0 @/ I- ]1 g: P. W+ K& U  2、How did the author behave as a boy in love?
9 w( ]3 q& x7 k1 n; a; P- v6 u+ |0 E( I9 u8 {
  A. His first love motivated him toward hard study.
' {# [' \( T3 E" t/ I$ H3 G
- H, |( H7 r9 d; o9 C  N" i  B. His first love evoked sentimental memories. - }9 n6 K4 x; ~) |; V" v6 u" h- {- p

* x' i" S# Y5 U. \% w4 Y% I  C. He was overpowered by wild excitement and passion.
! ?& r; S/ w" P. g* s( c* d5 x/ `1 z% a. c0 v! R
  D. He fulfilled his expectations and desires. ! ^7 @  X! k4 r& L; z8 v
6 m; K; I0 k0 N2 l" @- q: e6 \( o
  (本题分值:1.5分)【正确答案】C 3 [, E3 l3 a& s+ ?- n
: Q4 Y  Y; m4 i1 g6 Q6 L
  3、According to the passage, what held them back from a loving kiss? + B0 Y0 l1 V1 w8 T# s% k  k: p2 k+ p
9 b- j$ S7 k5 I( p+ k$ @
  A. Her Jewish origin did not allow it. ! e2 W: `1 I# [8 {. m3 M- g6 @

& ~+ P# q2 u% Y' Y' l! L  I  B. His Catholic adherence forbade it. ' C; z( o4 S: p, q: @
, i: O, V, ^( K. O" x3 f" s5 [1 u
  C. They were not sure whether it was proper or ethical to kiss in line with their religious decorum. 3 X$ C1 K/ ]) G* G3 d( M, C1 n: d

2 j" `3 c" _! P  D. Kissing was found to be inelegant or even distasteful.
/ s' c8 z2 Y$ p- v8 ?# D
) E9 T0 r) }2 i- ^  (本题分值:1.5分)【正确答案】C : U. n1 }1 E7 C7 g

! o( F, B  y' j; f8 K3 k# J' N+ |  4、According to the passage, what was Rachel’s response to the author’s tender affection before the war?
7 D6 Q- ]% M; S5 c9 T- o9 A3 j
+ N& W2 h4 h( f! _; K$ F0 b) k  A. She recognized and accepted his love affectionately. 4 }9 L1 X! t8 {6 q4 @; e
( i1 X4 B7 u2 d
  B. She thwarted his affection by flatly turning him down.
- ?% j5 X. e0 S* U4 B% X& B8 q* v( m" o# a% ~9 F+ c
  C. She fondly permitted him to adore her without losing her own heart to him. ; v! w; s  x% g- `) M' C
1 Y& j) J: r  L) R! b7 l
  D. She didn’t care for him at all and only took delight in playing with his feelings. " v  p' ]& D. a: V) Z& X2 M& q4 ]

; G, X- s4 e, T3 X1 P$ g  (本题分值:1.5分)【正确答案】C
, n+ O5 @9 j: d8 v: Z
, @# a6 @* ^; n2 T+ a8 M& [     5、Which of the following best describes the organization of the passage? 2 q: g# S. d7 V
! X1 d8 q# u. E
  A. Statement and example.
( D+ T0 a6 o2 C/ r# O" {
% r& [* J" Q& j4 _  W5 g  B. Cause and effect. : i/ X' L0 r, F) e8 t7 P
+ D9 k1 D. p5 u' X) r2 P/ R
  C. Order of importance. ( D9 Q! K6 B* E7 n9 V  F9 e

7 y5 P! M/ C5 i0 f! V) ~" I  D. Linear description. . U6 D: i9 }; h0 o
0 @$ ]/ R) k% b7 q- y8 X
  (本题分值:1.5分)【正确答案】D
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-10 16:47 , Processed in 0.233429 second(s), 21 queries .