立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 114|回复: 2

[BEC真题] 剑桥商务英语高级真题集听力原文十二篇06

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 19:16:37 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
This is the Business English Certificate Higher 3, Listening Test 2.  Q* B$ ^- j4 i/ X9 n
Part One. Questions 1 to 12.You will bear the opening of the Factories of the Year awards ceremony.8 Q, z, C% D. G# W5 C, G
As you listen, for questions 1 to 12, complete the notes, using up to three words or a number.
6 H8 j4 L* k+ B) b6 A: l; l& f! }/ XAfter you bare listened once, replay the recording.2 P2 J* c) O- F" T' p
You now have forty-five seconds to read through the notes.
, u7 v, E5 h3 W: o" M, s[pause]
& J5 u4 }+ ]1 E6 d$ j( oNow listen, and complete the notes.4 |: V4 M+ N6 H
[pause]
1 [/ e& P; X3 ^/ U; wMan:        Good morning, ladies and gentlemen, and "welcome to the Factories of the Year award. My name is Jonathan Hargreaves, and I’m Chief Executive of the Institute of Production Research, which organised these awards, in association with Barrington Business School. I’m delighted to introduce to you the school’s professor of manufacturing science, Jacqueline Allen, who again chaired the panel of judges. Jacqueline.; G8 Q* R3 l- q& ]4 v, z( _
Woman:   Thank you, Jonathan, and good morning, everyone. This year’s search for the Factories of the Year has produced a bumper crop of outstanding winners, which is very welcome proof that the old economy isn’t dead, but is emerging revitalised from its recent problems.( k+ n8 q7 p( X- Q! @, e8 K- x" P. c3 f
               As ever, we initiated our search for the best by sending each participating factory a questionnaire. This consisted of fourteen pages and probably more questions than the recipients would have liked. From their answers, each factory was assessed on a basket of performance criteria. Some of these were immediately measurable, like handover times, which of course can have a big impact on productivity and which are showing a healthy tendency towards being shortened. Another was delivery reliability, a high score in which is essential for any customer-led organisation.. L' f- S4 h) `; O  c2 n! a
               Other criteria which we considered were less tangible, but no less important for that. We took staff morale very seriously, because if it’s poor it can have measurable results such as high staff turnover and a high accident rate. And if a business can’t easily handle change, it may well create more problems than it solves, and its future is unlikely to be secure./ g' t" |, h1 Q% P
               The next step was for the panel of judges to assess the results and devise a shortlist. We then visited these factories. I must say, I found it fascinating to see so many factories in action. As a result of these visits, we came up with the three winners in each category.
0 F9 k- x# R- ^               The factories that emerged from this process shared some familiar characteristics. Impressive people-management practices, for a start. A determination among the factory’s management team not to be second best, for another. And acting on the realisation that clever initiatives don’t count if they don’t further a factory’s mission. No successful factory can, for a moment, forget its customers, whether they’re internal to the company or external.
% F/ q+ M) X, z1 v8 H; ~! v& h               As ever, new trends emerged: an outstanding level of competence in supply-chain management, as well as in manufacturing, is increasingly important. The links between a factory, its suppliers and its customers can make or break an operation.( X) h( t/ t' d3 k5 G: ]
               This year’s winners also demonstrate the importance of optimising the movement of goods and people around the factory. Confused, muddled-looking factories underperform, while  successful ones use signs to help staff and visitors find the best route to their destination. And allowing goods or materials to get lost in some dusty corner of the warehouse is unacceptable: the problem of tracking components as they move through production has led to a number of developments, of which electronic tagging is one of the most exciting.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 19:16:38 | 显示全部楼层

剑桥商务英语高级真题集听力原文十二篇06

Now I’d like to turn to the individual categories...</p>[pause]! e/ D& p* x7 {& t
Now listen to the recording again.( a2 F5 ]& f5 L
[pause]& m/ v. j# p: G) C
That is the end of Part One. You now have 20 seconds to check your answers.
* c5 r' X/ Y4 L( v& V; m- k[pause]
1 ?- N0 T. F) G( R1 {; _3 Z/ m4 T/ ]
2 X8 G* j+ t  d6 F" E% s. bPart Two. Questions 13 to 22.You will hear five different people talking about visiting trade fairs.: }3 B5 S: ^) o
For each extract there are two tasks. Look at Task One. For each question 13-17, choose the person’s intention in visiting the trade fair, from the list A-H. Now look at Task Two. For each question 18-22, choose the experience at the fair that person mentions, from the list A-H.+ C! A! s) y; A  b0 }: S
After you have listened once, replay the recording.
: i' d2 A* p, E2 {8 r: v$ s1 xYou now have thirty seconds to read the two lists.( v& q" h! Q/ P, s8 @/ y
[pause]
: G. ~$ Z) E. ?; h3 u, W- k! ZNow listen, and do the two tasks.7 P1 p3 R+ J$ Y! E& E
[pause]
1 d: y. s2 m5 P* YSpeaker One
# M- U6 B" [9 J* Y5 x" p5 LWoman:   Well, there seem to be more and more fairs, don’t there? And all apparently quite unmissable, which is fine, except I do actually have an office, and do need to get things done. So I try to be a bit selective. I try to make sure I’ve got my own agenda clear about what I want from a fair. With this one, for example, I wanted to see how our goods match up against our main rivals, by looking at theirs as if I were an ordinary customer.., noting the specifications and so on... basic market research, really. And it was interesting, gave me some ideas to take back to the office. Some of the brochures and other literature that I picked up at this one were quite striking, very high quality, and that alone made it worthwhile., Z9 R# T7 f5 |, c  Z/ Z* o+ l/ e% G: y
Speaker Two
" r  e0 o( ]7 A% C9 U% X/ x( fMan:        For me, fairs are a vital part of business life.., where else do you get manufacturers, suppliers, agents, everyone all milling around together? It’s certainly a great audience for the sort of talk I was there to do, and it meant I was able to communicate our values and commitment to service. Those are things our suppliers need to understand, so that we can get a full circle of quality from components to delivery and after-sales. And of course, I also had plenty of time to look around, do some networking. I realised there are places we haven’t considered as markets that we should be looking into. The currency situation means our prices could be very attractive outside our domestic markets and get us good sales. So, all very worthwhile...9 V3 q; }4 P  d# N0 D
Speaker Three
0 M, Y& u6 s1 e& K$ `" z& J, `Woman:   These fairs are getting so big.., it’s frustrating because you waste a lot of time just navigating your way around. I actually wonder how useful they really are in terms of achieving sales. Still, I have to say, that it gave me an idea for a couple of features we could incorporate into our main model, which would make it more attractive, I think. So that was a bonus, and to some extent made up for my disappointment about not securing a new representative, which had been my aim. I did talk to a couple of promising people who cover the Pacific Rim, but there were a lot of complications, different expectations... I realise it’s going to take a while before we can reach a concrete agreement and build a solid marketing strategy there.
. K" U- R( X: zSpeaker Four* r0 }. A0 O+ j* C
Man:        To be honest, I relish opportunities to get out of the office from time to time.., it refreshes the mind, and you can get insights into what you’re really doing. I’m pleased this time, because I’ve come back with the realisation that we can save quite a bit on packaging - our new range of products are selling well, and in fact we’re getting bigger orders than we forecast, and the agents are very optimistic.., which all means we don’t need to package up units individually, and that’ll be quite a saving. It’s important, because it’s getting increasingly competitive all the time, with new products coming out almost every month. The other thing I’ve been trying for is better components, and that’s why my plan for the fair was to identify new manufacturers of processors, because I’m not happy with our present source.
$ ^9 M4 o/ n% N9 \8 y3 MSpeaker Five
& p$ X' p: o' K" U7 fWoman:   It’s amazing the way the industry is developing… I was walking around remembering such fairs just, say, five years ago, and thinking of how many of the products simply didn’t exist then. One of the effects of all this constant innovation is that to stay competitive you have to keep finding different marketing angles. That’s what I was looking for, some kind of fresh approach to expanding our customer base. In the office, I tend to become absorbed in staffing issues, so I need to get out among customers and competitors. Anyway, while I was there I spotted a way of getting value out of our database. There’s software available now which would enable us to analyse customer preferences and provide ‘pinpoint offers’ for them.
1 G2 [9 e/ y# U' t1 o& \! X- D( F[pause]
8 N9 V8 A" b( o( \& F5 }% @% ]Now listen to the recording again.+ t  q9 m3 H) d  a' f7 z, Q) b* M
[pause]9 [' [  X$ P  H
That is the end of Part Two.9 a% G# |6 N. @$ x: K% ]8 Q+ _
[pause]9 }: [: }! Y$ [+ f4 G1 R

: |( @/ V2 b# U8 FPart Three. Questions 23 to 30.You will hear an interview with Steve Marriott, an internal business consultant with Carserve, a vehicle breakdown service.
% ?( @8 u6 j. U9 W0 f( [! wFor each question 23-30, mark one letter (A, B, or C) for the correct answer.
2 x# ~0 Z& L" c, E: \' T8 r0 AAfter you have listened once, replay the recording.
/ I& e! x4 Y) O6 gYou have forty-five seconds to read through the questions.
+ `4 ^8 y) a; m[pause], W1 W/ W$ D7 a* v+ A( P! O
Now listen, and mark A, B or C.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 19:16:39 | 显示全部楼层

剑桥商务英语高级真题集听力原文十二篇06

[pause]</p>Woman:   These days, more and more people are employed by a company, but work from home. They’re sometimes called ‘remote workers’. Carserve is a vehicle breakdown company whose pho~Lc operators are all based at home. Steve Marriott, an internal business consultant with Carserve, is in the studio today. Steve, do people really enjoy working from home?
3 C  E/ p7 q1 Z+ S* WMan:        If you measure enjoyment by staff retention and improved productivity, the answer is definitely yes. But this doesn’t happen by itself. In Carserve, we like the fact that our staff keep in touch with each other, through personal phone calls and emails. We also use email for company communications, instead of using office noticeboards, though of course we can’t guarantee that everyone reads them all. But the absence of a sharp division between work and home sometimes creates a definite sense of insecurity, which we can’t always remove.
( R4 k, ^8 M* E; w# F7 l% O& fWoman:   Wasn’t there a risk in introducing remote working?; P% }( j+ R( f, l: G4 }  m
Man:        Before it was started, the greatest fear was that, with the change in the support provided, people would be less productive. As it’s turned out, staff have to be actively encouraged to take short breaks. You see, they tend to feel they have to answer the phone at the first ring, in case their manager thinks they’re sitting around watching TV, even though they know we don’t do that kind of checking up.
: @) ^7 r2 P6 _& t5 ZWoman:   When you joined Carserve you weren’t happy with the ways things were being run, were you? What was the problem?
0 K; p5 M) v& P) O' nMan:        The management focused on what could be put down on paper, like an organogram showing reporting lines. But they tended to avoid the less concrete issues, like how to ensure the workers knew what they were expected to achieve. So despite detailed planning and plenty of memos, in reality people were working in a bit of a vacuum.
! ]& @' f5 L: L3 A2 C2 \5 UWoman:   How did you turn that around?
3 }) F% c/ v9 i# m* P2 S1 b. xMan:        Communication is important, but regular meetings are no substitute for a change of attitude. Managers have to start from the assumption that the remote workers are doing their job properly, even though they aren’t being supervised. So that’s what I focused on.# D" b" B; u; h" k' l
Woman:   You do teamwork, don’t you, even though the teams aren’t physically working in the same place. How does that work?4 b0 J3 ]" c5 E0 u0 \
Man:        Surprisingly, perhaps, it makes them more effective. Because they know they’re only coming into the office for a team meeting, they plan that meeting much more carefully than perhaps they would do otherwise. And between meetings they communicate by email or phone, and that tends to take the pressure off reaching a decision before thinking it right through.. O$ O* I+ r& j& R
Woman:   Earlier, you mentioned the use of electronic communication internally, like the phone, and computers for emails. Have these replaced face-to-face contact?% f& n: h* n* {( {& m+ w
Man:        Not entirely. In fact, managers often work from home too, and staff are sometimes afraid, wrongly in fact, that a phone call will disturb them, or that an email won’t be read on time. So, we make sure staff can regularly talk to their managers face-to-face.
; I- V" i* _3 \& {Woman:   Doesn’t remote working make it difficult for managers to carry out their work?* ~0 `6 y' u/ b( r" V
Man:       It certainly changes its nature. As part of our performance management process, managers visit staff at home twice a month. When everyone works in one office, you get on with some, and have less rapport with others, and usually that doesn’t matter. But when you travel around visiting staff in their own homes, you have to develop relationships with them that are based on their needs, which may mean helping them with aspects of their non-working lives that are affecting their work.
5 w: }  p4 I4 G" IWoman:   So, have you organised training for managers, to deal with this new way of working?
1 {4 ]4 ]2 e0 v# b0 [  FMan:        Yes, a great deal of thought goes into finding out what would most benefit staff. Many people would focus on how to use the technology, but in our experience that isn’t a priority. We’ve already run workshops on managing remote teams, but many managers find it hard to let go of their traditional control, and feel that remote working is a recipe for chaos. We’re trying to tackle this.
/ C- o1 }7 A& H) ?, h7 [# HWoman:   Steve Marriott, thank you very much.4 x8 ^8 n5 {4 v
Man:       Thank you.  _# d6 p& L  l+ {+ Y) R

; w. h* w9 L0 G0 w; Q2 w[pause]9 Y9 x4 M% [6 ~  M) d" v
Now listen to the recording again.8 n2 [/ U1 \( ^  V" {
[pause]/ ~6 W, v: b% V. f, [
That is the end of Part Three. You now bare ten minutes to transfer your answers to your Answer Sheet.
7 @# c' r& r% u7 M6 x5 Y[pause]2 T0 l" K$ x+ e5 f: U
Note: Teacher, stop the recording here and time ten minutes. Remind students when there is one minute remaining.& s% b9 u- B, o7 g' U! ^4 J
[pause], b* h  M6 L* c
That is the end of the test.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-13 13:50 , Processed in 0.257364 second(s), 25 queries .