只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 62|回复: 0

[BEC高级] 高级商务英语考试:口语辅导讲议(5)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 19:47:01 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
  Part V Supplementary Materials" k% }8 ?1 o2 n" G1 h* x" m
  Giving Criticism4 p+ g6 t" v& k6 B8 v) H
  When it's necessary to criticise the work of colleagues it is important to do so in a manner that is supportive and that permits the other person find ways of improving his or her performance. To do this we need to:
7 g# T7 o$ H( |( N- U6 B  Concentrate on the error, not on the person
; b; J/ v+ r. s  · Avoid generalizations
" e  f$ f! ]! }. ?+ e( o! D: S  · Provide specific examples of the problems that need attention
3 e4 V% U% D, B  · Make helpful suggestions for improvement
0 L( Q, a0 q+ e  · Avoid a one-sided attack
8 z0 v, U& q$ j: i) p$ Y5 m  · Avoid insinuations and hints
6 O* K* R! C: X! g  · Conduct the criticism in private so as not to humiliate the other person
3 N2 O# w% g" C  Read the dialogue below and make a note of the ways in which John fails to observe the advice given above in his criticisms of Mary's work:" D4 J5 R3 Y4 k' m1 ^5 f2 B
  John: Come in and take a seat, Mary. This won't take a minute.) b" ]! v: s& J/ s$ I- {  V- C) l5 W
  Mary: What's this all about, John?www.examw.com1 F4 u8 w: l4 e. `# j1 x8 l
  John: Well I'm sorry Mary, but I've come to the conclusion that your work's just not up to scratch. I need to see a big improvement if you want to stay here.+ H( X2 h( e5 P% m+ w% _
  Mary: I see. I admit I have found these first few weeks a hard, but I need time to settle in and there's a lot to learn.
5 }* M1 I8 v7 W) E( D4 i  (Knock at the door)8 A4 t; N3 x* `7 {4 I
  John: Come in.( k. j! s  |% x: }* }
  Jane: Oh, sorry John, I'll come back later, I didn't realize you were talking.5 F5 ?! ?6 z) h4 X
  John: That's all right, come in. I was just telling Mary that I don't think she's really up to the job here.
7 w* p$ z  b/ N  Jane: No, I don't want to intrude on a private conversation; I'll come back later.% ]9 D1 [# R: G: K; ~2 B
  Mary: So what are you saying John, are you firing me?
; b1 j) a/ L; ], W, V5 k  e1 w  John: No; but I have to say that if this little talk doesn't make you realize where you're going wrong, it may come to that.
+ e: ?/ @  l7 C& @) E, Q( U  Poor Mary! John has just attacked the standard of her without giving her any idea of where she is going wrong; on top of that he's repeated the criticism in front of another member of staff.
% a. r  z' G, Q9 \, B  S8 n  By using some of the suggestions below, see if you can rewrite the dialogue so that John offers Mary constructive and positive criticism that will help her to improve her performance:" x! c# q8 w' _6 u* S) @; e
  · Invite Mary to a private interview
% W9 D' a1 D# F  · Ask if she is ready to discuss the standard of her work  K4 R; U! N% s, Z- B* K3 U
  · Acknowledge the fact that she is new to the company and that there is a lot to learn/ H8 b9 u: f: @3 w- k
  · Say that her reports are lacking in detail and accuracy
# m( ~+ d) I8 a6 k0 r4 x. D9 b0 i  · Ask her if she is aware of that
5 L) G  z) d2 x  c4 X  · Say that she is often late in the morning
2 P9 q: e1 v0 q2 w3 ~  · Ask her if there are personal problems that make it difficult for her to arrive on time
" _8 L+ A% ?; i% B: D( I# N  · Say that some of the clients she deals with have complained that she misses appointments- w6 l: n4 M  Y4 o9 o
  · Ask her if she can explain why this is
9 @( i$ [0 E" `& Z& L5 ?  · Ask her if there is anything you can do to help her improve in these areas.8 i0 e3 z" {1 z& L. y
  · Set a date for another talk in a few weeks to review her progress.; w8 ?1 p" D9 N1 w  T/ p3 g1 ^
  · If John conducts the interview along these lines, Mary will:9 F4 n4 a# Z: H$ I: P% V) K9 H( E
  · Know exactly which aspects of her work are unsatisfactory! s" B2 c: v1 u& [, M2 p- _  M5 |- G
  · Will have the opportunity to explain why she has problems
& n4 ^; h& H4 V' n% f2 S3 o% b  · Will not be publicly humiliated0 p; s1 {& X* P/ r2 }- D( x" ~
  · Will feel that she is getting support in her efforts to improve.) @% r  z1 C- B4 Y) b! _- B
  Reference5 J3 ~0 r: K/ a# n* q
  ☆ Brenda Townsend Hall,1998
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-10-4 18:28 , Processed in 0.187963 second(s), 21 queries .