扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 156|回复: 5

[BEC高级] 2011年高级商务英语口语教程一

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 19:47:01 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Lesson OneFormal Verbal Communication in Business I
5 s0 {, ]4 ?3 R: b" H  X6 X正式商业交流 (1)– 研讨会* m/ T3 C, L. E* U0 [

) q3 k$ F$ [, o6 y, a8 l* mPart I Objectives# v4 O2 X! e+ g9 s) A! w9 L7 r; T
2 Procedures of Seminars Leading and Commonly Used Sentence Structures- a8 y3 s/ u" [; C; x# E% ~
研讨会各个程序及常用句型9 D5 s7 j+ ^% C8 B' B7 O
2 Questioning Techniques
' k4 w, L6 V: b# |# J提问技巧
3 M& ?- j. U- P6 i2 A Leader and A Good Listener, At the Same Time
% Z2 ~& L) j# g/ ]做好的听众,做好的领导者( Q1 z- w1 J$ ]: w: m. l
2 Giving Criticism
" Q* W3 U; b5 P2 `提出批评观点的技巧
9 g2 w8 L; c( \+ a& h( W1 D+ E' K  q) f% B6 C

# C/ |5 A/ ?6 D( N9 oPart II The How-Tos4 M  G. }1 z, Z( r! c) H* X% e
Leading Seminars/ Questioning Techniques
) L1 u( ]  a8 D2 y$ E: \2 General procedures of a seminar/lecture9 L$ l1 z3 }: E: ?3 j8 O6 B
1) Self-introduction3 V1 j3 D% o5 |) V1 o
2) Introduction of Topic  ^6 q7 z) q6 p/ m. I4 c
3) Describing sequences and timing% |3 N- [; R; W
4) Highlighting information
2 c' C2 @& u" l5) Involving the audience5 d6 [9 E% z' G, j- [* ]$ X4 W6 e7 l
6) Giving instructions
: I7 m- z, m, W7) Checking understanding
0 j2 R% o9 m1 x) z. \* ^. Z7 `3 Z8) Asking questions
) b5 K: X; e: M* ^3 Q6 m8 L9) Clarifying questions
: Z0 K3 S1 ~7 M& W. o1 x10) Evading questions* F( [" ^  ~2 Q$ u8 L9 Z  Q( J
11) Inviting comments5 u0 b; O  s6 y6 G. a
12) Interrupting$ }; u$ S( g4 g1 }- n4 N
13) Transitions
, t/ N$ C9 _) _- S; r+ t. i' U14) Reformulations# h, c% _( l( u
15) Closing" @# C. n0 x7 x7 s. c
2 Language Reference5 |0 @; R/ y* f6 X" v# r1 l/ X
Self-introduction  自我介绍( {, O, [: y" ~3 r7 x
Good morning, I'm ---- and I've been invited to give this talk/ presentation / lecture because---
: w1 v9 H$ f# c5 e6 E9 P7 HI have done research in / I have a special interest in / my experience is in
/ s; j& K- \- L5 l. @Introduction of Topic  话题介绍2 u, n: l4 H) |3 `2 e4 X2 a. h
In my presentation/talk/lecture today I shall be dealing with---  _: r. v6 B( J: }( `
The subject of my ---- today is ----
0 Z  q+ J) b! [  KWhat I'd like to do today is introduce/suggest/ analyse/ describe / explain
8 @( m! Z8 a8 V, x, G$ oMy topic/subject today is ---
* @4 A5 z; f. E# s4 C0 FI shall be dealing with 2/3/4…. main areas/topics/subjects today
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 19:47:02 | 显示全部楼层

2011年高级商务英语口语教程一

</p>Describing Sequences and Timing  程序介绍与时间安排9 N: H) H" ^$ |* s8 }2 v: P
First I want to /spend a few minutes outlining ---/remind you of the background to/summarise the ----/explain---/ present---' s$ M9 ?+ a- b- N! m" M" ~
Next I shall---/after that I will take the opportunity of describing---/ ; s: o6 w+ W% ]& D/ d
Then we'll look at---
' Z3 g7 e0 F) z# cFinally I want to---$ D# s  y7 z. {- E; j
Highlighting Information  重点介绍
# J; A  d8 n" ^* y3 O(Rhetorical questions)4 f' _& g+ R3 T) a1 ?) q3 I
So, what does that mean?/How can we interpret this?/What's the explanation for this?/What are the implications of these findings?
. e4 U, \: X9 p(Change of focus)5 q7 F2 l- t8 T- f  V
What that tells us is/What I'm suggesting is/What is clear is that
# L6 ^, e) w3 s: @+ H' d4 ~(Introducing auxiliary verb)
  J* L- k0 Q" }; fSo clearly we do need to--/Obviously they did understand that---/ Of course you do wan to know why---& v  S0 M  `7 `( V) L/ \: q
Involving the Audience   听者的参与
" X; w. X. r6 D  \Let's have a show of hands, how many of you agree with ----
/ s, e! s4 U# N/ cI'm sure we all know what it's like to---
7 V1 D0 W3 f! E6 u" U+ wLet me ask you spend a couple of seconds thinking about---
, _3 ^) ?6 n/ i# N) ?& s; Q1 GWell, what would you do, I wonder---
5 }: A8 ~" c. ?$ pJust look around the room and take a note of /how many men are wearing a tie---/how many people are wearing jeans---/the average age of the participants+ q; t7 _4 |/ l
Giving Instructions  给予指示
1 b! a5 ^1 r5 D, n+ v, @For this exercise, we are going to work in pairs: groups of 3/4/5
! N# d3 H: s0 H/ }4 lMake a note of these words/figures$ a9 J$ Q4 |" B! ~1 r. S. v" T
Read the paragraph on page ---
7 \# k1 D$ `$ c7 @7 ]" e" BPlease note that I shall be timing the exercise and you have exactly 7 minutes3 W" R$ k  G, ?, E+ `3 }
Now complete the questionnaire and put your name in the top left-hand corner
0 {* Q' X/ `+ Y7 j+ |8 f  ^$ iChecking Understanding   随时观察听者反映* S& p4 |+ K. K$ w! h, t
Is everyone with me so far?
- ]  x% o4 H6 ^$ h. cAre there any questions at this stage?5 i8 J) P5 `! R& x- S6 I) m2 G, B3 F
Would anyone like me to run through that again?
& \" a/ |* y4 w# b. `/ f# @! WIf you have any problems with the detail, don't worry because all the information is in your handout
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 19:47:03 | 显示全部楼层

2011年高级商务英语口语教程一

Asking Questions   询问问题7 @( v2 t% @7 O1 L" b
Direct questions/open-ended:
# T; `% w9 @4 N. [% J$ m3 h! PWhat/why/how/where/when9 j, `0 C, Y2 E. O  |
Closed questions :
* P3 m5 U( q/ C& e4 y$ i& {' KDo you/did you; c) f( l7 \# q: I$ w( B/ U
Delicate questions:
( B8 j# o+ L5 t% I6 F* `I was wondering if/ could I ask you/ would you mind telling me/if it's not indiscreet I'd like to know/might I ask/may I ask% \+ d& E4 y* z; b0 n
Clarifying Questions   澄清问题
" [% H6 z+ U" P' aSo you want to know about---/is it the figures that worry you/ when you say---do you mean---/If I've understood the question you want to know about---
# j1 A6 M1 \4 A4 _Evading Questions   回避问题0 M9 a7 l  p( \1 }# u# j" u
That's not really my field---/ that's a bit outside the scope of today's topic/ I haven't got the precise information with me today/ that's not really for me to say/I'd need notice of that question to answer you in full/this is not really the place to discuss that matter/ perhaps that's a question for another meeting
4 d1 M; R' \2 p) i5 h2 f. mInviting Comments   鼓励并听取意见
0 w( {" n0 G! z/ v9 D5 b" fHas anyone got any questions at this point?$ F3 z+ u2 [. y( V" b, K! l& e  {
Would anyone like to comment on that?
/ X' O& a6 a* F! o( Y  h, N% ~. bDoes anyone disagree with my last point?
# U- }) \' s6 QCan anyone confirm my experience?$ H: n6 @; N  K. B4 S& u2 t8 h
If nobody has any questions then I'll move on, _- I" N- K0 b6 F) Y* `
Interrupting  中断2 ?. Q% e1 o& T% q3 G
I'd like to discuss it further, but I think it's time to move on8 v2 x; R( ]5 B; n
Could I just stop you there---
/ m* R! M! b/ |4 R1 SIf I might just add----, e" D( _* d1 a; A, ]+ K
I'm sure we'd all agree, but perhaps we should get back to the main point% W1 L6 q( B8 L9 y/ A- \" x, h, H
Transitions   过渡+ o7 d' w! \1 L  A
If we could now turn to---/my next point is---/ what I want to do next is ---/ let's move on to---/that completes my analysis of---/so, now we are going to----
2 J: ?2 P3 Z9 v7 A: R2 S Reformulations   总结, q- ^" F& G: C
If I might just go over that again---/so, in summary---/ just to remind you of the key facts/the main points/ the advantages of---/my main arguments were---- p* l9 x9 ?& f. Z
Closing   结束2 C+ n# L4 Y  R, \
Thank you for listening to me today# T- Q3 u) u* r5 q
I hope you have found my presentation useful
  J) ?4 ~% ?: sThank you for your attention# ]& M+ V: F. @# y9 [# t& M% M7 X
* I% f$ y% Y# J6 J
2 Questioning Techniques   提问技巧! O; P9 T8 [2 ~) V* t5 B
Reasons for asking questions:- \8 t" v& e7 J: ~
To obtain information0 Q0 M6 O3 Z' Z8 _- N
To find out the opinions of other people% O7 g4 D; D1 K3 v/ g/ R
To ask other people to contribute ideas" d( D  j( i, u$ `- {& H+ {
To find out the reasons behind events5 E/ N4 ~* O" F  M
To seek confirmation
3 S3 \6 h( J" w7 X$ L" }2 `1 QThe status of the questioner
! W2 B! e" |2 D% ~- X+ {6 sThe questioner may have an official need to ask questions - work-role, legal power, etc., or the questioner may have an entirely personal curiosity to satisfy. If the role is official, the questioner needs to choose the questioning style with care in order to produce the required results. Questioning can be quite a threatening activity in some circumstances. For example, if the questioner wants information , then the person who has that information may feel that s/he is being asked to give up something that represents an advantage. If the questioner is merely curious in a social setting , then the important point is the level of delicacy of the question. In most cultures, very personal details such as how much money we earn is too private to form the subject of questions by others.0 Y  j. ?# Q, v4 ]1 S  [+ i
Choices of question style+ A; A9 O) M6 ^, C' ?0 w
Closed v. open+ f- W" _  x/ z
Closed questions permit only 'yes'/'no' answers. They may therefore be more threatening than open questions because they leave no room for expansion or explanation. The questioner needs to decide if it would be more tactful to ask:8 W8 {2 `& h+ G0 J0 v
Have you finished that report yet?
/ \: F! R/ j  P6 k$ N) q# {0 d0 _Or
0 F& a/ x5 \( J4 q2 V" Y1 U7 mHow are you getting on with that report?: h5 ?" w3 H# b% A; n7 m
: \3 k# w$ R% a% g7 Z6 D" j
The first question implies that the report is now due; the second merely asks for a progress statement. The open question allows the respondent to elaborate and does not have overtones of authority.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 19:47:04 | 显示全部楼层

2011年高级商务英语口语教程一

Wh- type questions4 o4 \) D. n+ g
Questions starting with question words: what, when, why, who, how, are open questions but they are also very direct. Too many questions like this have the flavour of an interrogation and may make the person being questioned feel uncomfortable. It may be necessary to preface the questions with phrases that show the questioner is aware of the intrusiveness of the question:5 a: g  T( l' U, n; e6 X3 [* w, r
May I ask you…
0 ]4 _" ], ]/ p* _" CCould you tell me…
& K# Q& f; O- F8 F( cWould you mind telling me… ! ?: i* S2 l* E" O
I wonder if I could ask you….
: p1 F( A7 b) C9 J" U9 q2 KI would be interested in knowing…
' l+ E* S9 ~; I! AIf it's not indiscreet, may I ask ….# i* _( Q/ l$ i, S2 G3 v0 S
I know it's not really my business, but….' B- q: I" f" b# g9 l8 I
Facilitative styles of asking questions
  y5 ]" l: z" g* a! vIf the intention of the questioner is really to prompt the interlocutor in disclosing information freely, then question techniques may not be appropriate at all. Instead it might be better to echo and to reformulate in order to give the interlocutor the opportunity to expand.
4 [- v2 K2 [- tIllustrative dialogue
- }/ {2 e2 {  P* q) q3 mA. Well, I live in a flat in a rather poor part of town. 3 p9 B# X0 w6 ]
B. Poor part of town…?, v5 z: l: z/ a
A. Yes, it's quite dirty and the streets are badly lit. That's why I don't like going out alone at night.
/ o- y& \4 [2 I  V- q7 r. mB. So you're frightened to go out alone?. C9 ^2 j3 C$ Z8 y
A. Well, yes because we hear of attacks and muggings. That's why I want to leave.# G7 F% y; Z% S- U0 J( V
$ n. U6 m. l2 [  m: j' d+ {  J
In this dialogue, speaker B doesn't try to take the initiative, but merely echoes and reformulates to prompt speaker A to say what worries her.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 19:47:05 | 显示全部楼层

2011年高级商务英语口语教程一

</p>http://www.examw.com/bec/gaoji/kouyu/264085/file:///C:/DOCUME~1/ADMINI~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/ksohtml/wps_clip_image-17852.png
# d" ]) M6 I3 [+ N3 q/ U6 V# r& O' h7 b1 p4 S7 `' x: u' [" D  K! X
Part III Let’s Talk Business
% u2 A9 V/ [. ?- i. h- T8 G4 E) [% i- `5 d
LEADING THROUGH CHANGE: Listening as a leader
, P8 T, @3 G& s4 t) [* |& yOften, when we think of communication, we think of speaking, presenting, writing--delivering a message in some way. But an effective communicator is also adept at receiving messages. You won't budge people toward a goal if they don't feel that they've had input, that they've been heard and understood, and that the vision they're working toward is also their own vision. Listening to your followers is the only way you can make this happen.
: P' q2 k+ _* x. g7 h& o9 ?' ]; y# r* C/ i) |! e
To be a good leader, HEAR OUT what others have to say:
0 z% N( V8 \6 G2 Z0 T: c3 B* a3 a7 |( R0 o7 j0 {$ o( A
Hold judgment and hold eye focus Listen carefully and with an open mind--if you're defensive you may miss critical information. Don't formulate your answer while a person is still speaking. Watch for subtle body language that may offer extra clues to the speaker's true meaning. Also, hold eye focus. If you don't' look at the person who is speaking to you, you can't establish trust. As a leader, you want followers to trust you and believe in you. 5 M! P5 z0 U9 W8 e9 o* _
# ?( _8 y& S) Y% X: I5 F
End all other tasks. Show respect for people by putting aside your paper, lunch, etc., and don't take phone calls. You'll be better regarded, and you'll save time. By "doing it right the first time," there won't be misunderstandings or any need to repeat information. Be ready to job down notes as the person speaks. 4 J* I( ]" y0 e  h% a( d# n
  L' C* [9 b: J# V; @& Q7 Z1 o$ s2 f
Allow the speaker to finish. Don't interrupt. Don't change the subject. Don't finish sentences for the speaker. Remain quiet until you're sure the speaker has completed his or her thoughts.
1 ?, I, {# S' K% P  F  O/ @- A, d5 R( ^/ f" j
Read between the lines. As you listen to the speaker, listen for what might be left unsaid. It's not always easy for a person to approach someone in a more senior position and tell it like it is. If you want to get an honest opinion of some of your ideas and actions, you'll need to probe. You'll also need to value that feedback and the person who gave it to you. Never shoot the messenger.
- n8 w- V2 G8 O8 T7 O* L2 ~- j9 r2 H( y0 P" `! _
Outline your understanding. Once the person is finished speaking, reiterate what you believe to be the main ideas, issues, etc. State them simply and, if possible, try to "rank" them from most important to least. At each step, ask the speaker if you've correctly heard the message. Take the time to be certain, or you've both simply wasted time.
: a) t7 I: k6 q" V* y: \3 k) c7 j
Underline major points. Once you and the speaker agree on the main ideas that have been uncovered, focus your attention on one or two of the most important: What needs to be done right now to make the speaker--and you--acknowledge that something positive has been accomplished? What else can be done in the future? Set a date to revisit these main ideas and to discuss progress.   j$ _! V4 u: J* D- P3 g7 f
6 S% I" v  S% u4 h
Test the waters. Take what you've learned and test it with others. What are others feeling and thinking? Is this an isolated issue? Don't take it any less seriously but if it's a "movement" of sorts, you'll need to address it differently. Testing the waters allows you to explore the real needs, fears and hopes of your followers and incorporate them into your shared vision. Remember, if you're trying to move people in a new direction, you must know here they're coming from.
- k& O- i$ }: l! v3 E& i/ B6 b1 q/ f8 x+ o: S/ L; c3 ?3 |1 r
People don't always need leaders to agree with them and act on their suggestions. But people always do need to feel their leader cares enough to listen. When people are uncertain what tomorrow may bring, a leader with a reputation as a "good listener" may be the most prized employee in any organization. Work hard to make yourself that person.
+ u  |4 [- L9 c# ?* E5 b! P" d& a/ S/ @$ y/ h" \4 ^  H& k9 ~( h

3 N! Q1 q0 d- X% zPart IIII Exercises and Discussion5 {9 `5 B1 t6 I# |4 W
http://www.examw.com/bec/gaoji/kouyu/264085/file:///C:/DOCUME~1/ADMINI~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/ksohtml/wps_clip_image-17909.png) W0 C5 b5 Y+ n4 {- `) n
2 Exercise to sensitize your questioning techniques.
" v" z# j9 [! `: N+ T$ n7 M* D1 Write on the board a list of 5 or 6 prominent people that everyone knows. Some of these people should be the subject of current controversy.
5 V" D+ O. d9 g7 n8 u2 Write a question of each type (see reasons for asking questions at the beginning of this unit) and address each of your questions to one of the people you have listed.9 x  a' g. l- n% \& j# C0 c4 g" {/ q
3 Now grade their questions for levels of delicacy on a scale 1 - 5, with 5 being the most delicate.
2 [/ o; ^7 u0 Q' ~, Z4 Check their questions for the appropriateness of their style - are they open or closed; direct or indirect? Adjust the phrasing of the questions to suit the level of delicacy.
7 ?2 x, O. J; B- G$ o5 Lets discuss the results.
& q) i0 R; L/ U; o7 {1 V, P
/ p! G$ i3 F" W. e( r/ M* l2 Give examples of situations where open/closed types of questions are generally asked. ; K$ \9 ?- t+ ~/ s) C

8 R" w! E6 e7 ]- O2 Choose one of the following topics and make it into a seminar. Try to incorporate all the 15 elements mentioned in part II.( G8 {' `6 l% C) c& g6 [' [
- How to boil an egg
$ W6 |' [1 H6 s7 M0 N0 X- How to organize a picnic for your company2 N5 P% ^& o% E* h
- Key factors consumers should be aware of when purchasing a DVD player
. m" E) Z& P1 y" A2 h: s' @+ m: o8 K. ^
2 Rewrite the conversation between John and Mary in Part five. Discuss on the possible outcomes of the conversation with your partner.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 19:47:06 | 显示全部楼层

2011年高级商务英语口语教程一

Part V Supplementary Materials
: e+ K1 u% W$ z# N9 _5 N8 DGiving Criticism8 A& Z4 l  q( _
When it's necessary to criticise the work of colleagues it is important to do so in a manner that is supportive and that permits the other person find ways of improving his or her performance. To do this we need to:
" h& u! C" a- C- |9 P6 E! E Concentrate on the error, not on the person / r! B0 ~0 ?: G" D7 l: j
· Avoid generalizations
$ s* P  P3 _2 }· Provide specific examples of the problems that need attention
' }  G. T5 J7 s8 V6 o" m1 u4 @· Make helpful suggestions for improvement ( S- X9 g5 G- a* @! b4 W9 s& n" ~' W
· Avoid a one-sided attack 6 ]2 Z( a! r. N; d( X) u! }
· Avoid insinuations and hints / x, E0 A1 ~1 V6 D
· Conduct the criticism in private so as not to humiliate the other person: x' @' b) u/ K( f. D
Read the dialogue below and make a note of the ways in which John fails to observe the advice given above in his criticisms of Mary's work: c* E7 e0 U4 M# m
John: Come in and take a seat, Mary. This won't take a minute.
# A9 {5 v( N/ `- [! ^  y6 DMary: What's this all about, John?. h8 C+ ~8 _' q0 u+ u" x' k0 _
John: Well I'm sorry Mary, but I've come to the conclusion that your work's just not up to scratch. I need to see a big improvement if you want to stay here.
# T6 D' y% S( J8 G; kMary: I see. I admit I have found these first few weeks a hard, but I need time to settle in and there's a lot to learn.2 e, c1 {7 q2 o$ u
(Knock at the door)3 ~2 `3 r6 N3 p9 E
John: Come in.4 H" I2 l5 A; ^
Jane: Oh, sorry John, I'll come back later, I didn't realize you were talking.
9 M2 {- {/ h: E0 @) X0 j# bJohn: That's all right, come in. I was just telling Mary that I don't think she's really up to the job here.
* y5 ^$ E! l" `" |. vJane: No, I don't want to intrude on a private conversation; I'll come back later.
! }. |5 m* O, k- |# V$ XMary: So what are you saying John, are you firing me?3 Y- X7 x* J# A0 [' z
John: No; but I have to say that if this little talk doesn't make you realize where you're going wrong, it may come to that.4 b8 W- I( O' z$ o
, \* x/ j! h7 C9 k
Poor Mary! John has just attacked the standard of her without giving her any idea of where she is going wrong; on top of that he's repeated the criticism in front of another member of staff.
* u! I8 ~/ V2 e: ?2 V+ KBy using some of the suggestions below, see if you can rewrite the dialogue so that John offers Mary constructive and positive criticism that will help her to improve her performance:' q+ a* _7 r9 E7 A7 G$ [
· Invite Mary to a private interview 8 U- W) w' A) r+ ]9 W6 W0 W
· Ask if she is ready to discuss the standard of her work - }/ D$ t- f& a' ^
· Acknowledge the fact that she is new to the company and that there is a lot to learn
7 y+ h+ X. \+ t0 |1 X0 L· Say that her reports are lacking in detail and accuracy
1 U6 u' |! p, R4 ?1 }· Ask her if she is aware of that
5 D% Q4 o5 J7 i0 q5 g: E' M· Say that she is often late in the morning * I0 S: |' S# p8 i
· Ask her if there are personal problems that make it difficult for her to arrive on time 0 @4 X% ~1 Z7 E3 I6 d5 ]  P
· Say that some of the clients she deals with have complained that she misses appointments
  |6 E6 }  ]5 a- F0 x) M! [* i* g1 i9 q· Ask her if she can explain why this is 0 ^" C7 P$ R* a6 ?
· Ask her if there is anything you can do to help her improve in these areas. 6 p; x7 }2 }1 g) w' G
· Set a date for another talk in a few weeks to review her progress.
- v+ q0 n: Z* M7 ^2 Q% t, p' N+ xIf John conducts the interview along these lines, Mary will:
0 P4 |% J3 l6 H  g· Know exactly which aspects of her work are unsatisfactory - O& N$ T% x8 p# y- X: \
· Will have the opportunity to explain why she has problems 5 y6 w8 g; J7 \( [( Z" |* H
· Will not be publicly humiliated 2 E! h" }3 s, A- j
· Will feel that she is getting support in her efforts to improve.$ G" W& a; r, h; ?
Reference: @, U& `* O7 U7 a
2 Brenda Townsend Hall,1998
: m- H2 w: g9 V! h/ M* [* _2 www.ecglink.com
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-6-2 20:58 , Processed in 0.184092 second(s), 31 queries .