QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 128|回复: 2

[雅思真题] 历年雅思阅读真题精选一

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 20:40:02 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
The Spectacular Eruption of Mount St. Helens; |9 D" I9 f" b/ i) V
A The eruption in May 1980 of Mount St. Helens, Washington State, astounded the world with
! j; [, d) \! Z8 Mits violence. A gigantic explosion tore much of the volcano's summit to fragments; the energy
8 V+ t$ E4 C: [% h9 e$ S6 g9 Zreleased was equal to that of 500 of the nuclear bombs that destroyed Hiroshima in 1945.) [; i/ {- N! c) _. X
- P2 j7 ?+ f$ _/ X& U& x  [5 Q5 ~
B The event occurred along the boundary of two of the moving plates that make up the Earth's
: v# e9 z8 z. \) ~; N; X: ecrust. They meet at the junction of the North American continent and the Pacific Ocean. One5 N3 }, b) O! g% N! q
edge of the continental North American plate over-rides the oceanic Juan de Fuca micro-plate,) S% L. ~3 h, i. r
producing the volcanic Cascade range that includes Mounts Baker, Rainier and Hood, and Lassen
& y9 h& F, X  }/ B- f8 i! EPeak as well as Mount St. Helens.# t) A1 ~' D7 |* D
& `* i7 D/ W5 t: i4 }# P
C Until Mount St. Helens began to stir, only Mount Baker and Lassen Peak had shown signs of
; v0 f" \: y& a# x! J/ X/ v7 d6 glife during the 20th century. According to geological evidence found by the United States3 p1 {( G4 P- Z! h
Geological Survey, there had been two major eruptions of Mount St. Helens in the recent
9 o+ {* B: N4 m* @$ C6 v(geologically speaking)past: around 1900 B.C., and about A.D. 1500. Since the arrival of' _+ m" M# Y+ X- x: X+ K
Europeans in the region, it had experienced a single period of spasmodic activity, between 1831  F  Z8 @5 ?- h& b  R; H
and 1857. Then, for more than a century, Mount St. Helens lay dormant.2 \, I7 F- G4 ]' O& J  q

! n+ |) d* _0 R, q! ?. l- |D By 1979, the Geological Survey, alerted by signs of renewed activity, had been monitoring
( ?5 d1 s0 U" rthe volcano for 18 months. It warned the local population against being deceived by the8 B9 K$ G! [# O" x% L6 b! h  w
mountain's outward calm, and forecast that an eruption would take place before the end of the- g! C% ^4 A. u
century. The inhabitants of the area did not have to wait that long. On March 27, 1980,a few
% T, r# _- w; H; v( Yclouds of smoke formed above the summit , and slight tremors were felt. On the 28th, larger and
8 f: A8 b) }; G7 P* @: o( D; z0 fdarker clouds,. consisting of gas and ashes,. emerged and climbed as high as 20,000 feet. In April' Z7 u+ E; {- Y& s
a slight lull ensued, but the volcanologists remained pessimistic. The, in early May, the northern3 Y: M2 E/ O: f6 S. F
flank of the mountain bulged, and the summit rose by 500 feet.
7 m  k/ B' C; ?0 A8 j  k0 S$ y, }% R : \; v5 V: {' S1 U
( e8 @$ k1 N; H, G( L* L0 v4 r% y
首页 1 2 3尾页
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 20:40:03 | 显示全部楼层

历年雅思阅读真题精选一

E Steps were taken to evacuate the population. Most- campers, hikers, timbercuttersleft the</p>slopes of the mountain. Eighty-four-year-old Harry Truman, a holiday lodge owner who had lived  d2 |. q6 s! E9 z
there for more than 50 years, refused to be evacuated, in spite of official and public, including an8 A- b) w1 k' |
entire class of school children, wrote to him, begging him to leave. He never did.; b" E  n4 _2 E1 S
* h: K: _! E4 E9 [
F On May 18, at 8.32 in the morning, Mount St. Helens blew its top. literally. Suddenly, it was0 }7 g% B" P- ?* u
1300 feet shorter than it had been before its growth had begun. Over half a cubic mile of rock had& d, J. F+ \$ I% F; }, I
disintegrated . At the same moment, an earthquake with an intensity of 5 on the Richter scale was
+ W+ i2 J2 b& D3 x8 Urecorded. It triggered an avalanche of snow and ice. mixed with hot rock-the entire north face of
  R" P5 W0 W+ H1 M" E9 _the mountain had fallen away. A wave of scorching volcanic gas and rock fragments shot& L, L# R0 j. H( `* b: @: d
horizontally from the volcano's riven flank, at an inescapable 200 miles per hour. As the sliding
( ^, E0 i& j2 vice and snow melted, it touched off devastating torrents of mud and debris, which destroyed all
1 ^( P4 F3 `8 W0 D/ [( A$ qlife in their path. Pulverised, which destroyed all life in their path. Pulverised rock climbed as a
* M& s. ~9 x3 @- T, \' Ydust cloud into the atmosphere. Finally, viscous lava, accompanied by burning clouds of ash and
2 c: p6 M  a, |- \, A% N+ T& dgas, welled out of volcano's new crater, and from lesser vents and cracks in its flanks.7 _- K# K& o9 l  o+ H+ @, `

2 Z5 i) z0 q; l* ]6 EG Afterwards, scientists were able to analyse the sequence of events. First, magmamolten
) L% S) h/ y3 s  x* S  r' }rock-at temperatures above 2000oF. had surged into the volcano from the Earth's mantle. The
! h8 h, E- J. h; p: J. b, B# q! Zbuild-up was accompanied by an accumulation of gas, which increased as the mass of magma7 c* ~/ O- d- S7 G1 N4 K- ]
grew. It was the pressure inside the mountain that made it swell. Next, the rise in gas pressure
" O8 `; Z9 @; Y6 E5 Qcaused a violent decompression. Which ejected the shattered summit like a cork from a shaken( s! e* \( Z- a# O) p$ Z" V! f
soda bottle. With the summit gone, the molten rock within was released in a jet of gas and
9 W3 Z# p! K( p* I( Z) S7 efragmented magma, and lava welled from the crater.
1 N9 I! U9 ^! x' k
; q7 R* A& E, ]: kH The effects of the Mount St. Helens eruption were catastrophic. Almost all the trees of the
+ z* v! [6 i  X! m2 S* Z. Rsurrounding forest, mainly Douglas firs. were flattened. and their branches and bark ripped off by6 F6 W' C+ S4 A0 Y. T  f
the shock wave of the explosion. Ash and mud spread over nearly 200 square miles of country. All" s$ b' b5 s1 _' K, c2 [
the towns and settlements in the area were smothered in an even coating of ash. Volcanic ash silted
  a/ X( A. w3 T( P; I/ R& j" E0 dup the Columbia River 35 miles away, reducing the debris that accumulated at the foot of the
- O) M9 ^* f9 o+ Fvolcano reached a depth. in places, of 200 feet.! f5 j# J' G6 r8 T, u# S, ~

- V" c' s3 Z% S* y5 ~: O: }0 t( yI The eruption of Mount St. Helens was one of the most closely observed and analysed in  D) E8 y. G$ i& N
history. Because geologists had been expecting the event, they were able to amass vast amounts of8 k- l8 _1 Y2 w1 Z4 n
technical data when it happened. Study of atmospheric particles formed as a result of the
- Q5 U& ^. L" m: Uexplosion showed that droplets of sulphuric acid, acting as a screen between the Sun and the
4 v2 p6 {6 c' a' ^* eEarth's surface, caused a distinct drop in temperature. There is no doubt that the activity of Mount
( Z; Q/ V$ M5 r: \* X- \St. Helens and other volcanoes since 1980 has influenced our climate . Even so, it has been) S& }9 A0 B8 m8 }+ U( M& b
calculated that the quantity of dust ejected by Mount St. Helens - a quarter of a cubic mile- was
+ f8 q- Y7 O: X% T$ l' R7 rnegligible in comparison with that thrown out by earlier eruptions, such as that of Mount Katmai! \! ]$ ~3 }: \9 S- r
in Alaska in 1912 (three cubic miles). The volcano is still active. Lava domes have formed inside
/ c5 B+ R( c/ h( Gthe new crater, and have periodically burst. The threat of Mount St Helens lives on.( h# K- [. i9 g/ K
.Questions 1 and 2
1 b. S) D: Z" q- m% pAnswer questions 1 and 2 by writing the appropriate letter A-I inboxes 1 and 2 on your answer& x3 W  ^+ U" l8 N- }( r+ R- J6 c* W
sheet.6 e) P* `  c7 R' F
# T+ M4 o. e7 w( i
首页1  2 3尾页
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 20:40:04 | 显示全部楼层

历年雅思阅读真题精选一

Example Answer</p>Which paragraph compares the eruption to the energy A& O6 K/ ^- f/ F& x8 L1 N& R
released by nuclear bomb?" i+ ^# t- J$ O
1. Which paragraph describes the evacuation of the mountain?" Z0 B* @1 b/ l! Z2 a
2. Which paragraph describes the moment of the explosion of Mount St. Helens?+ e& s' Z3 e, E8 d: {
Questions 3 and 4! }: U  l" E$ h- k
3. What are the dates of the TWO major eruptions of Mount St. Helens before 1980?4 l6 ~- Z# }' R; E, \
Write TWO dates in box 3 on your answer sheet.
; l& y- |. }' e5 c5 _' V* B4 How do scientists know that the volcano exploded around the two dates above?1 e' P  G( y8 f5 m; D, {1 j
Using NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS , write your answer in box 4 on your answer
8 ]1 Z* h- ?8 _1 _" ]$ p* a7 Dsheet
; O" C! S! ~: Q. kQuestions 5-8
' \- \: ?7 d9 b1 L' D; h6 CComplete the summary of events below leading up to the eruption of Mount St. Helens. Choose
  z4 d- x; F. F0 t  _4 R- PNO MORE THAN THREE WORDS from the passage for each answer.  ?0 ^0 F. r/ I3 ~+ G
Write your answers in boxes 5-8 on your answer sheet." h8 I, m" q1 [" ^4 ~' \# D
In 1979 the Geological Survey warned ... (5) ... to expect a violent eruption before the end of the. K! x  ?6 j$ l9 o3 z. g/ T. _/ _7 v
century. The forecast was soon proved accurate. At the end of March there were tremors and0 ?8 c- h; {8 L( Z' J
clouds formed above the mountain. This was followed by a lull, but in early May the top of the
6 g) g# r! k1 W9 Imountain rose by ... (6)... . People were ...(7) ... from around the mountain. Finally, on May 18th
9 \. O* v) N# @- `0 y8 Z! W1 Z9 Qat ...(8) ..., Mount St. Helens exploded.
% f9 c5 |( m7 Y- LQuestion 9 and 10
/ F' y  s) {/ T6 a" o$ ZComplete the table below giving evidence for the power of the Mount St. Helens eruption.; O5 w0 A7 I/ f0 U1 M" Y
Write your answers in boxes 9 and 10 on your answer sheet.4 z( }2 |3 G, R" X
Item Equivalent to" b2 a' o2 u4 b1 @- v6 M
Example* a" _4 R" h! `5 G) ~6 D
The energy released by the explosion of0 X: r. n2 ]8 Y) v
Mount St. Helens
( r  C$ n: ]" G- A/ W- }7 mAnswer2 q& ^0 E3 r' ~# u& \
500 nuclear bombs+ P' [9 g! u& b3 z- v2 c
The area of land covered in mud or ash ...(9)...
1 f% {% Z( I( Y2 A! E3 ^# y! kThe quantity of dust ejected ...(10)...
3 j: c" H' a2 b' G4 n! L' bQuestion 117 w8 }1 O* Q& X1 M, E
Choose the appropriate letter A-D and write it in box 11 one your answer sheet.
  ?( n$ B/ U' T' X, u11. According to the text the eruption of Mount St. Helens and other volcanoes has influenced our
; K- L# I3 l( \# @, u/ ^- Kclimate by ...
2 w: C, ^" Y2 {: ?A increasing the amount of rainfall.$ E  r2 K1 S2 m% n
B heating the atmosphere.5 b8 k3 \, ~* H  W
C cooling the air temperature.
0 @3 K' C* [% ?D causing atmospheric storms.5 x5 M7 U) h: I4 L3 b2 ]: G, f
首页1 2  3 尾页
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-1 15:52 , Processed in 0.346450 second(s), 25 queries .