QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 135|回复: 2

[雅思真题] 历年雅思阅读真题精选三

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 20:40:02 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
READING PASSAGE 3+ S2 y+ i( |8 p% B- g' B. r
You should spend about 20 minutes on Questions 26-38 which are based on Reading Passage 3
/ ~3 k/ W& d) \1 lon pages 9 and 10.
: c) d" o3 w/ \( f* R. L8 M! u. ]"The Rollfilm Revolution"4 X9 b( Z' w0 @3 Q! T; S
The introduction of the dry plate process brought with it many advantages. Not only was it much& f) N' u- g" \! E! J5 k9 A/ c
more convenient, so that the photographer no longer needed to prepare his material in advance,
& a) o, m" `5 U7 J; u- e3 nbut its much greater sensitivity made possible a new generation of cameras. Instantaneous
* N" R) h1 r$ l7 Uexposures had been possible before, but only with some difficulty and with special equipment and
6 C& \6 ~; D' _6 {) U$ Jconditions. Now, exposures short enough to permit the camera to the held in the hand were easily
! \: Q) K, R) y7 L7 k+ Zachieved. As well as fitting shutters and viewfinders to their conventional stand cameras,
) p3 A2 [! ^3 S" j9 fmanufacturers began to construct smaller cameras in tended specifically for hand use.
1 M5 D7 {7 J9 z: s( nOne of the first designs to be published was Thomas Bolas' s 'Detective' camera of 1881.
" j; t* G  H" h0 v! W" w& WExternally a plain box, quite unlike the folding bellows camera typical of the period, it could be: N$ C% E, R# V, U- F0 U
used unobtrusively. The name caught on, and for the next decade or so almost all hand cameral0 v: ?, G3 W' s6 P' C+ k
were called ' Detectives', Many. of the new designs in the 1880s were for magazine cameras, in
3 o) x+ Q9 h3 L; H9 M' {" _) r" cwhich a number of dry plates could be pre-loaded and changed one after another following6 s7 c# ~' L1 n0 E% b* H; D! a3 d
exposure. Although much more convenient than stand cameras, still used by most serious workers,  L1 J. `  ?9 t& [
magazine plate cameras were heavy, and required access to a darkroom for loading and9 w* j0 c, o9 E
processing the plates. This was all changed by a young American bank clerk turned photographic
% K( t2 x% w6 C4 Q- S7 cmanufacturer, George Eastman, from Rochester, New York.5 h5 l& u5 B* g& R) W
Eastman had begun to manufacture gelatine dry plates in 1880. being one of the first to do so in) J; x  [# ]- U9 i* K* G
America. He soon looked for ways of simplifying photography, believing that many people were) j, B# h# ~# v! N6 J! t1 ^
put off by the complication and messiness. His first step was to develop, wih the camera
8 }% z" S* ^/ ]/ H+ f; vmanufacturer William H. Walker, a holder for a long roll of paper negative 'film'. This could be
: K( v) |. ^3 p( ]fitted to a standard plate camera and up to forty-eight exposures made before reloading. The
2 `& n" T- ~3 O2 x8 wcombined weight of the paper roll and the holder was far less than the same number of glass- X* A8 J+ c$ t# w
plates in their ling-tight wooden holders. Although roll-holders had been made as early as the9 O4 I3 U# @. d( T9 u6 D% u) D, d
1850s, none had been very successful be cause of the limitations of the photographic materials
, y4 c+ Q# v  k) `! Fthen available. Eastman's rollable paper film was sensitive and gave negatives of good quality;' L8 I1 c5 ?% U
the Eastman-Walker roll-holder was a great success.
2 R: b$ t. b, _8 ~The next step was to combine the roll-holder with a small hand camera; Eastman's first design
, k+ B: T; w; @1 N; Qwas patented with an employee, F. M. Cossitt, in 1886. It was not a success. Only fifty Eastman
0 ^7 D5 `. v* m' p$ Qdetective cameras were made, and they were sold as a lot to a dealer in 1887; the cost was too: P9 \. _/ V, s  o' f# `
high and the design too complicated. Eastman set about developing a new model, which was
7 r. I* G0 W- ~6 l; c3 d. f+ qlaunched in June 1888. It was a small box, containing a roll of paperbased stripping film
1 `0 s+ k( M- I/ I1 z2 ]8 x" l% |/ Jsufficient for 100 circular exposures 6 cm in diameter. Its operation was simple: set the shutter by% a7 y/ Y6 ?( R( R. z
pulling a wire string; aim the camera using the V line impression in the camera top; press the
" ?8 U/ i' v: [# O6 p! @, j: Arelease botton to activate the exposure; and turn a special key to wind to the film. A hundred
' N- ]) J4 y( S5 }5 @4 aexposures had to be made, so it was important to record each picture in the memorandum book4 m5 K- l% k+ p/ w2 z1 s) i% L
provided, since there was no exposure counter. Eastman gave his camera the invented name
7 ^1 o( n, K+ Y- Z4 Z' v. h8 E'Kodak'-which was easily pronounceable in most languages. and had two Ks which Eastman felt
6 p) Q, v6 g+ Q8 wwas a firm, uncompromising kind of letter.
3 R% I! G/ B6 o7 ?/ M
4 W( A( C. |% F3 V1 E+ Y9 L, i首页 1 2 3尾页
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 20:40:03 | 显示全部楼层

历年雅思阅读真题精选三

The importance of Eastman's new roll-film camera was not that it was the first. There had been</p>several earlier cameras, notably the Stirn 'America', first demonstrated in the spring of 1887 and
" L; M$ v+ L  Hon sale from early 1888. This also used a roll of negative paper, and had such refinements as a
8 q$ [+ Y1 p8 S4 k4 c; l1 J! ^reflecting viewfinder and an ingenious exposure marker. The real significance of the first Kodak
# S. v. q8 c8 H; N5 f. _& kcamera was that it was backed up by a developing and printing service. Hitherto ,virtually all8 L. V9 b+ N4 t9 H
photographers developed and printed their own pictures. This required that facilities of a8 ~$ w4 ^6 q7 g% i
darkroom and the time and inclination to handle the necessary chemicals, make the prints and so
  B! h0 _1 `: Q1 Q4 c1 c5 ron. Eastman recognized that not everyone had the resources or the desire to do this. When a0 }3 }& [, J% B8 B  |) D
customer had made a hundred exposures in the Kodak camera, he sent it to Eastman's factory in
8 M) B4 r/ r0 x) \: Z9 TRochester (or later in Harrow in England) where the film was unloaded, processed and printed,' @* t1 b4 a! f; [
the camera reloaded and returned to the owner. "You Press the Button, We Do the Rest" ran
7 n* L" J1 ?! E: d, @7 F, [2 v& DEastman's classic marketing slogan; photography had been brought to everyone. Everyone, that is,
7 O; s# ]( h( H1 ?# K4 k3 [who could afford $ 25 or five guineas for the camera and $ 10 or two guineas for the developing
! ~) ?% S+ _6 s4 M* j) q. n5 \and printing . A guinea ( $ 5 ) was a week's wages for many at the time, so this simple camera cost: y# S! W* W" H0 w: y4 r- G4 N
the equivalent of hundreds of dollars today.
2 r7 K; ~' O8 ]: e. u/ J& oIn 1889 an improved model with a new shutter design was introduced, and it was called the No. 2
/ O; a- Q1 u" h7 ~) A% U8 b% x8 g+ {Kodak camera. The paper-based stripping film was complicated to manipulate, since the; y/ `, t5 d" v# i" M: \
processed negative image had to be stripped from the paper base for printing. At the end of 1889
3 m1 }0 v* K/ o( S& nEastman launched a new roll film on a celluloid base. Clear, tough, transparent and flexible, the
* D9 j/ @7 b8 t7 e1 d' _% @2 cnew film not only made the rollfilm camera fully practical, but provided the raw material for the( J; ~- X* ~3 r
introduction of cinematography a few years later. Other, larger models were introduced, including  Y9 {& @6 Z, k( B3 k- k, Y/ B
several folding versions, one of which took pictures 21.6 cm x 16.5 cm in size. Other: d3 O# H# S' Y" a' l4 t: r
manufacturers in America and Europe introduced cameras to take the Kodak roll-films, and other
% `/ Q0 w- T( D- _& Q7 n% \  L% hfirms began to offer developing and printing services for the benefit of the new breed of! ?/ D6 R# ^2 u; W9 _. o* c
Photographers.
4 M: `- q% s( N+ e9 F- X& ]By September 1889 , over 5,000 Kodak cameras had been sold in the USA, and the company was$ J/ U8 r; B/ K
daily printing 6-7,000 negatives, Holidays and special events created enormous surges in demand7 N7 p4 `% ~# z  J5 m* m
for processing: 900 Kodak users returned their cameras for processing and reloading in the week
5 L/ z5 l" r3 X% b2 xafter the New York centennial celebration./ `7 ]+ q. u- n2 o
Questions 26-29( ]$ n- C: \4 G; J9 l+ V
Do the following statements agree with the views of the writer in Reading Passage 3?
9 Q% X9 [4 N. L4 c0 U# A; ]In boxes 26-29 on your answer sheet write' D, n/ q& G  X4 ?8 t9 R5 F
YES if the statement agrees with the writer
. }( Y$ O+ S' ZNO if the statement does agree with the writer
$ U: K9 y) Y/ kNOTGIVEN if there is no information about this in the passage
: a; w; f6 d$ f2 V26. Before the dry plate process short exposures could only b achieved with cameras held in
8 T7 }  S- h7 s" L! bthe hand.
) d9 o& A6 P1 u5 [: ~( U: _6 ?/ ^6 t27. Stirn's America' camera lacked Kodak's developing service.
! G; e* |: Y- ?1 x$ ^( s. m& l28. The first Kodak film cost the equivalent of a week's wages to develop.
! S; h. y) D: z; D! f# h% H29. Some of Eastman's 1891 range of cameras could be loaded in daylight.# f- C2 e6 F4 m! m* y
Questions 30-34! y; U9 \4 y5 x! B* X  H# T/ O
Complete the diagram below. Choose NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS from the passage for# @; B. l- F# W* J
each answer.1 c& D) {3 s& T( L8 b
Write your answers in boxes 30-34 on your answer sheet.
7 `' ^6 T& S3 d* z
2 n. A- g8 a5 C: Y5 c3 QQuestions 35-38$ W; f5 |; i6 }5 ^
Complete the table below. Choose NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS from the passage for& |) |% E5 y/ Y8 K% _5 l- x
each answer.: O3 c& B7 T) l' a/ A8 I* ^
( h& Y2 c5 E) I9 e& Z# L" d" c0 d

N% [- O- x; a; d首页1  2 3尾页
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 20:40:04 | 显示全部楼层

历年雅思阅读真题精选三

Write your answer</p>http://www.examw.com/ielts/zhenti/278075/file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Application%20Data/Tencent/Users/712931606/QQ/WinTemp/RichOle/OW2$4MTU5T5H4S$~{~BB2HJ.jpg : E7 Z( ^# x" j
s in boxes 35-38 on your answer sheet.5 u% d: d  c% u( z: Z" V
[img]http://www.examw.com/ielts/zhenti/278075/file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Application%20Data/Tencent/Users/712931606/QQ/WinTemp/RichOle/A2AI9A[TK_MO%GR_A[9UQDM.jpg[/img] 8 {2 |: g+ q7 ~9 R- ^
5 S. ~  P) C3 Y% K6 p
首页1 2  3 尾页
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-1 14:12 , Processed in 0.295202 second(s), 25 queries .