QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 34|回复: 0

[名师指导] 名师指导:雅思写作词汇评析

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 21:13:18 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
  Select exactly the right word.  
7 w1 p- o9 ^% ~* l  Inaccurate: I was disgusted because rain spoiled our picnic.  $ g$ n; @4 _5 ]% b
  Accurate: I was disappointed because rain spoiled our picnic.  / V! o) ?' _2 S# I3 Z0 m
  Accurate: I was disgusted by the mindless violence in the movie.  : E4 e/ o, ?2 q7 Y
  Do not-we repeat, do not-confuse words because they sound alike or are similar in meaning  
5 j; }$ M$ Z8 j* r8 U' g- a1 O  Wrong word: today’s society has been pilfered with barrage legalized drugs  
* ^- D- J  Y7 E% k  v9 |) f  Improved: a barrage of legalized drugs has proliferated in today’s society.  
1 V  g9 ]) M% V, ~2 C+ X4 B1 _  Wrong: the Russians have not been sufficiently forthcoming about the treaty.  & B) x3 S* h7 _( v( P' G
  Improved: the Russians have not been sufficiently forthright about the treaty.  ; [! `, w* f2 Y% V% m
  Use lively, concrete, specific terms.  
. F2 @2 r1 G; \  Limp: we got into the car.  . C  @7 Z  |: W/ A9 A" I
  Improved: all four of us piled into Herman’sHond.  0 [0 J. N( j, Z/ D/ }
  Limp:  this dog came up, all excited.  
- ^! P4 L* l/ H  Improved: “a dog came bounding among us with a loud volley of barks and leap round us wagging its whole body, wild with lee at finding so many human beings together.”   
6 H7 H. q5 d' ?5 y9 Z) U  Move  run  sprint  % r! S+ p; D( a9 v9 t
  Vehicle  car  sedan  Jaguar  / ]8 V  I1 j- s$ r3 {! u7 t
  Animal  dog  Collie Lassie  
9 i) h3 L6 Y$ `. A& c  Dull:Seymourwas up late last night trying to finish typing his term paper.  
8 W9 ]4 {4 q' P  Specific: Seymor sat hunched over his typewriter, pecking away doggedly until three o’clock in the morning, trying to finish his paper on the mating habits of hippopotamuses.  ; Y9 a$ p, t: A- b1 v
  Avoid bafflegab  ! i- _& e% p; n6 W5 M5 [
  Bafflegab: the production of toxic and noxious residue hydrochloric acid obviates its efficacious application since it my prove compatible with metallic permanence.  
1 G, v0 Z. V) [' h$ Q0 e- U% G# z  Translation: don’t use hydrochloric acid: it eats hell out of the pipes,  
; o; l- C+ z1 J) Y& H+ B7 }  Bafflegab; Consumer elements are continuing to stress the fundamental necessity of a stabilization of the price structure at a lower level than exists at the present time.  
( J4 J  q. O; o/ o5 K  Translation: Consumer keep saying that prices must go down and stay down.  
! Y0 \4 m9 {- m6 p$ _  Bafflegab: the finance director claimed that substantial economies ere being effected in his division by increasing the time interval between distribution of data-eliciting forms to business entities.  8 _* d% @# O* W* R) @  g3 n/ Q2 W
  Translation: the fiancé director said his division was saving money by sending fewer questionnaires to employers.  
/ ^0 j! l4 B- V& K1 O6 w4 @; o  Avoid doublespeak  : O+ ~6 |) C$ k
  “protection reaction strike” (meaning bombing)  
( u5 `9 m. Y, z; h- Q0 T, Q7 p  “to terminate with extreme prejudice” (to assassinate)  
' w/ D2 A3 S) Y! L/ d, ?  “that statement is inoperative” (it is untrue)  ) r  H# r' O! V$ d
  Be selective with euphemisms  
8 P+ U( u5 R! N  Powder room (women’s toilet)  8 _5 `+ m  I+ N$ H& A; }  Q7 x
  Unmentionables (underwear)  9 u# c; B$ z  l* E) E' D+ S: `5 I0 a" }
  Passed away (died)    Sanitation engineer (garbage collector)
" x2 j- f( c+ P6 NDo not compare words that denote absolutes, like unique, omnipotent, infinite.  # b1 r& C; |$ w3 k8 L3 v, u9 J  W' O
  Illogical:Cloviscame up with a very unique design. 7 ?- W: S: v8 q$ B, @
  Improved:Cloviscame up with a unique design.  # Y+ z3 r' B; l
  Formal,        informal,       colloquial  0 l# r* |5 q0 D% B
  Automobile      car          ride  ; ~& |8 r9 X6 c  W3 Y9 L2 \
  Comprehend      understand       dig  
9 `& E- P! K' A) S. y  Depart        leave          split  ' q1 a# \% Z0 b* C8 L
  Residence       house          crib  
' l' \. E8 q3 U/ L% x+ c  Offensive        unpleasant       gross  
! L" E' `, e) F1 k" @6 W: m3 _  Exhausted       tired out        wasted  ( Y9 K8 n/ c- _
  Dejected        sad           down  
% _1 `( ^0 `/ l6 J% t' s  Hyperactive      jittery          wired  
0 e3 C) ^1 G0 n  Intoxicated       drunk         sloshed  / d3 T( j8 ?& s' ~0 H3 r0 Q9 a& f
  1.   避免重复  * {% L+ h. P+ a, h8 Q! C4 b
  After the performance, we went to Karl’s house to discuss whether it was an effective performance.  
3 t2 a2 [! v; O9 {5 i7 ^  After the performance, we went to Karl’s house to discuss whether our production was effective.  
7 F2 X) d; ?5 H* Y  The length of his hair adds to the wild appearance of his hair.  
6 Z. V" X, G7 Y! \  ]  The length of his hair adds to its wild appearance.   
% R3 X) R8 J9 t" u$ r" S2 V  Walking up to the door, I came upon the skeleton head of a cow placed next to the door.  
$ |+ k6 d8 l# z0 t. n  Walking up to the house, I came upon the skeleton head of a cow placed,     词汇的准确对应  / x* B! L. o# P$ ~/ m) ]! w
  Your first big city is an event that changes you whole outlook if you grew up in a small town.  2 z4 u, P0 r7 x& y1 K7 W8 }" _  d
  Your first visit to a big city is an experience that changes you whole outlook if you grew up in a small town.  
; Q$ E  V0 q4 t2 Y; {0 @  The importance of granceful hip movement is essential when doing the Bump.  & x3 V: l6 |2 W  x+ T" Q: Z) o
  Graceful hip movement is essential when doing the Bump.  
7 ?* [3 u. R3 N( g  Smoothness and precision are among the basic problems encountered by beginning dancers.  
5 Q* r$ x  e# K  Roughness and imprecision are among the weaknesses of beginning dancers.  
  T9 s8 K/ Z, A8 W  `  q' a  Possessive     Spell out numbers one hundred and under. In general, write numbers over one hundred in figures. Spell out round numbers requiring only a couple of words (two hundred tons, five thousand dollars). If a series of numbers occurs in a passage, and some of them are over hundred, use figures for all of them.      Never begin a sentence with a numeral; spell it out or rewrite the sentence.     use commas to separate numerals and place names and to set off names of people from titles.  ( E! F* s& z$ }) B
  A.   Eudora, who was born November 15, 1950, inDenver,Colorado, moved toDallas,Texas, before she was old enough to ski.  
  f- H! q+ l  j" ?0 d. C5 ?  B.   You may write to Laverne at375 Fairview Avenue,Arlington,TX20036.  
& N+ v! l& r% j8 B  C.   My friend Laverne lives inArlington,Texas.  * c6 |1 S3 O# h( k( m. Z
  D.   Arthur Schlesinger, Jr. writes intelligently and persuasively. Or: Arthur Schlesinger, Jr., writes intelligently and persuasively. - W/ k( n) _7 q8 a% Q
  E.   The committee chose Lola Lopez, attorney-at-law, to present their case.  
" S. l* V2 N# y- O; p) Z1 f  Avoid using “any reasonable person would agree that….” “undoubtedly, certainly, any fool can plainly see, even a five-year-old knows’  
3 ^0 O6 k+ `2 f  Z  Too big         better  4 ]" H4 S+ X& N9 D' m) l
  People         typists  
- d& b- M9 ^: s6 l  Cars          compact foreign cars    Sex          sex in daytime TV commercials
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 06:30 , Processed in 0.362680 second(s), 21 queries .