QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 99|回复: 1

[历年真题] 托福阅读历年真题精选4

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:35 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Questions 30-394 e- K& V4 @' E: Q3 P! y0 J
Tulips are Old World, rather than New World, plants, with the origins of the species! |  O, p; x* P
lying in Central Asia. They became an integral part of the gardens of the Ottoman Empire5 e! e( s, C' {- X& y
from the sixteenth century onward, and, soon after, part of European life as well. Holland,; [6 w! s( n2 l. F1 D
Line in particular, became famous for its cultivation of the flower.
8 \4 |  d5 @2 R, [" H9 E. F3 F- T(5)  A tenuous line marked the advance of the tulip to the New World, where it was
4 g3 S5 @0 Q6 P6 gunknown in the wild. The first Dutch colonies in North America had been established$ c4 _6 n& M$ [  i+ ]
in New Netherland by the Dutch West India Company in 1624, and one individual who
' s7 A% f% L# lsettled in New Amsterdam (today's Manhattan section of New York City) in 1642
4 ?9 K6 k7 @8 e; H" y. qdescribed the flowers that bravely colonized the settlers' gardens. They were the same% V4 h1 F* M! D( p0 X
(10) flowers seen in Dutch still-life paintings of the time: crown imperials, roses, carnations,/ t6 h/ Y' D4 o) h" {- n
and of course tulips. They flourished in Pennsylvania too, where in 1698 William Penn9 i5 n' |* T1 z; ^5 L
received a report of John Tateham's "Great and Stately Palace," its garden full of tulips.1 y$ r5 k! E! G) w
By 1760, Boston newspapers were advertising 50 different kinds of mixed tulip "roots."
* u$ Y7 |! r6 s3 Q5 v( B9 k3 K5 ]But the length of the journey between Europe and North America created many( d3 c- Z9 j6 v0 O' x
(15) difficulties. Thomas Hancock, an English settler, wrote thanking his plant supplier for9 Q+ x; w% ^6 i. T2 P+ K, ^8 T0 h. i
a gift of some tulip bulbs from England, but his letter the following year grumbled that7 q. `( S& ?! K5 L, ~
they were all dead.$ J( z: `$ J# o2 O& Z. X6 f( [
Tulips arrived in Holland, Michigan, with a later wave of early nineteenth-century
& c" g3 |- D& {: B; ZDutch immigrants who quickly colonized the plains of Michigan. Together with many$ V( S  V% X  B( k/ U. z) Z+ N+ j
(20) other Dutch settlements, such as the one at Pella. Iowa, they established a regular demand for European plants. The demand was bravely met by a new kind of tulip entrepreneur, the
7 X% n" e5 s+ v8 `/ Dtraveling salesperson. One Dutchman, Hendrick van der Schoot, spent six months in 1849! Y6 M7 t+ f* A+ W3 D
traveling through the United States taking orders for tulip bulbs. While tulip bulbs were
2 t$ G2 ?- X$ l( ?traveling from Europe to the United States to satisfy the nostalgic longings of homesick4 Y8 f3 C! i+ m8 C% A" i
(25) English and Dutch settlers, North American plants were traveling in the opposite
4 g0 W5 u: E: p5 t, L0 l6 T# W' }# Odirection. In England, the enthusiasm for American plants was one reason why tulips
- l+ p' p) h! b* ]dropped out of fashion in the gardens of the rich and famous.
' i0 Z& ~3 G) Y$ [
& F, a6 p# B5 t4 i/ k2 h) `5 N+ e; A- l# i; `" H% D

2 R5 E! D- I* K6 q, U! N" m6 h1 e3 g% I# ]$ N4 f2 ^( ]
30. Which of the following questions does the passage mainly answer?% ~6 Q: y- C+ T! h/ \0 O1 ?* a1 E
(A) What is the difference between an Old World and a New World plant?- g0 C0 i5 O6 O$ v( K
(B) Why are tulips grown in many different parts of the world?
1 y: p, Y- r, M8 D(C) How did tulips become popular in North America?5 ~/ V$ a( n; u- [. Z( C, f
(D) Where were the first Dutch colonies in North America located?
1 N0 O0 ]6 B. |  r- f7 J31. The word "integral" in line 2 is closest in meaning to
3 H  X+ R) m1 n, {, R(A) interesting; W2 c7 K' H7 q4 X! e, T4 v( M% X
(B) fundamental
3 Y) X$ ]* t7 N/ o6 y$ L' f(C) ornamental
$ L! y7 H/ t5 C; f5 V(D) overlooked
! E" g+ R" |+ o4 n32. The passage mentions that tulips were first found in which of the following
% j3 f/ f) c5 X' X! ^regions?
( ?( `# m8 Z: N, l(A) Central Asia
( Q3 [& ?" ~+ [$ f# }7 X* F(B) Western Europe, t' b4 _* i) A! ~6 F
(C) India
1 v+ i4 R" k( [" t$ I) P" J(D) North America+ j5 _  h7 o6 `- D! x- e
33. The word "flourished" in line 11 is closest in meaning to
& Y1 T& W' D$ o4 h: e) W(A) were discovered
7 z; b8 r3 K8 c1 U2 z3 m6 r(B) were marketed# [4 B7 J! h- w/ f, |: j6 B
(C) combined
. k7 D; V! G5 F, d1 K3 {% Y5 z% Y(D) thrived
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:36 | 显示全部楼层

托福阅读历年真题精选4

34. The author mentions tulip growing in New Netherland. Pennsylvania. and</p>Michigan in order to illustrate how
" t) `+ D; B( n4 ]% L7 ~( M(A) imported tulips were considered more valuable than locally grown tulips
% Q4 R2 ~, U( e(B) tulips were commonly passed as% {8 v; y8 O! y, R6 N0 k1 Z! |' ^3 L
gifts from one family to another
% \5 @+ j- ~$ u7 W: U(C) tulips grew progressively more popular in North America7 \9 |5 a' Y8 a6 Q' e1 v
(D) attitudes toward tulips varied from
) ^( j, t/ J  G3 \( ?; d  c1 done location to another
7 s3 I8 ~1 M( e$ K/ c& ?4 B6 A8 i35. The word "grumbled" in line 16 is closest in meaning to
1 R% \* I7 N" K$ X$ d(A) denied
# V& K5 _9 V. p(B) warned
3 N% s- \" [: P, B2 e(C) complained
4 F7 n% H' p* P- o: J(D) explained5 d) T: h- D  X& d# b
36. The passage mentions that one reason English and Dutch settlers planted tulips in, H( \' G. ^$ P* Q, v6 q: `
their gardens was that tulips
# e+ @' a9 J$ {4 l$ T. U(A) were easy to grow
. [/ e! i3 P% {2 `. L(B) had become readily available
/ u2 _' E$ H* b- C! L(C) made them appear fashionable
# r+ P) x4 R. l; \(D) reminded them of home2 I8 D1 z/ X( x3 R+ }
37. The word "they" in line 20 refers to
6 J" y0 E( j' R8 _8 b(A) tulips
0 v* |, {5 X$ \) j* b0 [/ W" R(B) plains% p9 D! b- K6 O+ ^4 b; e
(C) immigrants* E2 R, G9 {7 b+ R
(D) plants+ d8 x$ I& ^: ]7 Q0 k# ?
38. According to the passage, which of the following changes occurred in English# e, u+ N6 ^7 k$ V
gardens during the European settlement of North America?0 G$ v  M4 e$ z9 q2 z/ S
(A) They grew in size in order to provide enough plants to export to the New World.
. D5 ^! t  }! B$ J9 c(B) They contained a wider variety of tulips than ever before.
: g( t% B! f4 |7 s" q$ s2 @(C) They contained many new types of North American plants.
% G' g( }- k4 ~* }1 u) O(D) They decreased in size on the estates of wealthy people.
9 x  V; t9 N6 h& G# u) j4 ]  v39. The passage mentions which of the following as a problem associated with the
# Z9 @1 A! |6 r, H* c2 I. I* Q( Rimportation of tulips into North America?
6 j/ L1 y# I+ S& o(A) They were no longer fashionable by the time they arrived.
  o1 [% X$ Y- ~  U: y9 x/ W(B) They often failed to survive the journey.
0 C' j7 @' e+ P& N$ @( X(C) Orders often took six months or longer to fill." p7 w& ~  y0 s! v! Z% X2 ~
(D) Settlers knew little about how to cultivate them.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-23 20:20 , Processed in 0.377627 second(s), 23 queries .