QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 74|回复: 1

[历年真题] 托福阅读历年真题精选14

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:35 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Question 30-40
/ o3 @& q; \% `( H   Because the low latitudes of the Earth, the areas near the equator, receive more heat5 K# q: q0 _( @+ [: l; n  x
Than the latitudes near the poles, and because the nature of heat is to expand and move,
: b8 r' a: Q( z4 @+ ?, g# W2 bHeat is transported from the tropics to the middle and high latitudes. Some of this heat is
8 u9 {- Y4 y8 Z8 F% r, @- zLine Moved by winds and some by ocean currents, and some gets stored in the atmosphere in
% T( L2 K# }5 b$ m) L(5)  the form of latent heat. The term “latent heat” refers to the energy that has to be used to
9 a% G7 ]: |- O! B: ]% X8 ^Convert liquid water to water vapor. We know that if we warm a pan of water on a stove,
2 e6 D, T' i, N+ n# x2 b5 n( Git will evaporate, or turn into vapor, faster than if it is allowed to sit at room temperature.
( T4 P& E- u+ a! _9 YWe also know that if we hang wet clothes outside in the summertime they will dry faster
& V+ T; S; m, j  a6 i0 F, }% sthan in winter, when temperatures are colder. The energy used in both cases to change
+ j' X0 p3 R: e& _- Y7 c(10)  liquid water to water vapor is supplied by heat—supplied by the stove in the first case
9 s( T' ?6 B" a" ]5 pand by the Sun in the latter case. This energy is not lost. It is stored in water vapor in the
% d- b1 T2 ^' T6 s9 b! i1 `* [atmosphere as latent heat. Eventually, the water stored as vapor in the atmosphere will( {" P" ^) M2 e2 J/ Y
condense to liquid again, and the energy will be released to the atmosphere.
) e9 h6 F, k( W" ^* W       In the atmosphere, a large portion of the Sun’s incoming energy is used to evaporate 9 p% M* ?! Y: o, t8 ^0 d! k* T( d
(15)  Water, primarily in the tropical oceans. Scientists have tried to quantify this proportion 9 i  z# H6 D' x) E2 E
of the Sun’s energy. By analyzing temperature, water vapor, and wind data around the $ s2 D$ O$ ]; T# D; G
globe, they have estimated the quantity to be about 90 watts per square meter, or nearly
+ y7 m7 g" ]! f0 U5 C30 percent of the Sun’s energy. Once this latent heat is stored within the atmosphere, it
; k1 d" T  a. |- V1 a; N+ Xcan be transported, primarily to higher latitudes, by prevailing, large-scale winds. Or it
3 T( M4 t8 r5 }(20)  can be transported vertically to higher levels in the atmosphere, where it forms clouds
, X+ R! Y  M8 d* M& T( a/ tand subsequent storms, which then release the energy back to the atmosphere.: I. i3 ?* U3 K0 }& I4 e

1 M. }( v8 F3 h31. The passage mainly discusses how heat ?
+ I3 w! T# q  ?6 Ois transformed and transported in the Earth’s atmosphere8 ?: G$ ?* x6 D* J: l
is transported by ocean currents& m; v/ j) C" z# w1 T3 j
can be measured and analyzed by scientists
% A. v2 v8 d; ^3 B8 N1 rmoves about the Earth’s equator
! U& C# i1 s( V" K2 i8 q5 S0 L32. The passage mentions that the tropics differ from the Earth’s polar regions in which of the following ways?
1 V5 W+ N9 }- ?1 pThe height of cloud formation in the atmosphere
3 p$ M, Q' n9 r0 ~5 t1 k" F* HThe amount of heat they receive from the Sun' g: a7 H! _1 P. O
The strength of their largescale winds.
- t( Y1 I& ]) P6 G! }/ e* vThe strength of their oceanic currents
7 s2 b  q+ [" ]% c: \: Y$ f* O( E( ]33. The word “convert” line 6 is closest in meaning to
  r/ M; v3 `. X* w: b! T" [mix
* H8 a( _4 R' ?  \/ ]$ v# E( Uchange
" X3 i) Y. a9 ~# p: madapt
0 f1 A) y7 z1 d' s: freduce
* k" p! Y: b: |# ^" L+ |2 Q34. Why does the author mention “the stove” in line 10?
  w- ^+ y) s9 ]3 WTo describe the heat of the Sun& p! P/ \: a/ o3 a' C6 _
To illustrate how water vapor is stored; W. R' P$ u* L$ J  G
To show how energy is stored
3 p+ B8 k0 \* u/ xTo give an example of a heat source
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:36 | 显示全部楼层

托福阅读历年真题精选14

35. According to the passage, most ocean water evaporation occurs especially </p>around the higher latitudes$ Z7 k' d$ S2 W- D6 w
in the tropics( S1 e9 C& y0 N, |
because of large-scale winds
6 m8 d1 i, ^! J. \* c( ]because of strong ocean currents. Z% \0 u) L' T) ^* Y  y
36. According to the passage, 30 percent of the Sun’s incoming energy
+ z& k8 l0 A' A3 `is stored in clouds in the lower latitudes7 J: p* e: v! \; _8 i& _
is transported by ocean currents# t. H: z  X$ F: k9 A
never leaves the upper atmosphere
0 `' c  R2 g. j+ V3 @: Pgets stored as latent heat
/ t" g+ @" q  [; q37. The word “it” in line 18 refers to , w$ }5 w: Q/ L5 P/ k# @
square meter) Y6 I! r. J0 \. T2 w& x8 K
the Sun’s energy8 D& Z$ B. x* X) r6 j7 c
latent heat
7 z! A0 O3 k0 E, o3 T" Q; Z- W/ H+ Nthe atmosphere: Z3 O- _( m! h: w* ?! |
38. The word “primarily” in line 19 is closest in meaning to
: w4 q9 a1 `: J# h& @' Hchiefly
+ t- ~% e  J% E2 Moriginally
# P0 P1 ?6 K# Obasically
9 ~( w5 W7 m; V) P; Qclearly
! G* k9 y8 H. _+ o6 A6 A39. The word “prevailing” in line 19 is closest in meaning to
" k: C! S: S6 n8 K3 kessential
5 B4 |7 @: S* ?* K: |+ U8 O# n6 [, Ddominant
' J3 N6 |$ M0 E1 I7 gcircular
: B  ~0 o7 ^; l# m; @9 `5 yclosest9 q  m4 ~6 n' r3 q# j: H7 r
40. All of the following words are defined in the passage EXCEPT% C0 Z  ?" E' D
low latitudes (line1)
: l) Q* h# v" H$ O9 jlatent heat (line5)
# d. c" G* u: ^$ Vevaporate (line7)
9 o! L# g; n+ d* eatmosphere (line140)
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-9-20 12:13 , Processed in 0.366842 second(s), 23 queries .