QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 60|回复: 1

[历年真题] 托福阅读历年真题精选13

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:35 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Question 20-30           7 O& R1 v! L8 F, ^" K( J
        It is estimated that over 99 percent of all species that ever existed have become 6 [& i; E& r! g( e! Y$ Y
extinct. What causes extinction? When a species is no longer adapted to a changed 1 F4 u/ X: j, |, _1 G* [* K
environment, it may perish. The exact causes of a species’ death vary from situation
) e* C' i5 x& I3 D1 n9 q# }Line  to situation. Rapid ecological change may render an environment hostile to a species./ @# D. ~8 _1 x9 S) c  Y
For example, temperatures may change and a species may not be able to adapt. Food
, d7 x% J3 I3 K# @4 S) f' p- T1 z6 P% DResources may be affected by environmental changes, which will then cause problems
+ M% H. `' v, Y) t6 u+ ?+ B9 fFor a species requiring these resources. Other species may become better adapted to an
# b2 p* p& w  r' v7 U8 JEnvironment, resulting in competition and, ultimately, in the death of a species.# R" G4 r! D+ T+ x7 P7 N
  The fossil record reveals that extinction has occurred throughout the history of Earth.5 y9 ^- W" `' ?& W, r
(10) Recent analyses have also revealed that on some occasions many species became extinct / a! L; @* X) b7 x) f+ n7 i1 D
    at the same time—a mass extinction. One of the best-known examples of mass extinction" M9 s0 \$ z" j& w
    occurred 65 million years ago with the demise of dinosaurs and many other forms of life.8 P) n4 v. ]- r/ Q# U. p
    Perhaps the largest mass extinction was the one that occurred 225 million years ago,5 Y# S" S6 n5 F. Q
    When approximately 95 percent of all species died, Mass extinctions can be caused by
4 L6 j4 Z/ q6 I7 h6 _2 ^(15) a relatively rapid change in the environment and can be worsened by the close0 n  ^3 x+ F/ `, n- O! P# {
    interrelationship of many species. If, for example, something were to happen to destroy
  ^! \# \( d- h0 U    much of the plankton in the oceans, then the oxygen content of Earth would drop,
: Q2 p) n* N& o    affection even organisms not living in the oceans. Such a change would probably lead to a mass extinction.
4 H& O% t0 p5 p: g7 X$ @One interesting, and controversial, finding is that extinctions during the past 250% u( }/ m1 d: P: f3 k, `
    Million years have tended to be more intense every 26 million years. This periodic / l$ S$ K0 R7 ?
extinction might be due to intersection of the Earth’s orbit with a cloud of comets, but
" O2 z2 f6 Y; j& k, Mthis theory is purely speculative. Some researchers have also speculated tat extinction; N* c- i+ E0 a# T
may often be random. That is, certain species may be eliminated and others may survive
2 g2 d3 ?  Y. n  J4 F  {(25) for no particular reason. A species’ survival may have nothing to do with its ability or& g( S) m2 b+ l/ z/ k4 w
inability to adapt. If so, some of evolutionary history may reflect a sequence of essentially 9 |' E; j+ I9 ]7 Z2 ]
random events.
) d1 ?# v, r# }8 ^" B& ?1 c! K
5 I. h- ~6 ?& V; Q* v
, f9 S+ ]9 z: M. M6 l$ C" u! [* j/ E( J# w2 j4 a; X
  \  U6 f6 i* M* T
20. The word “it” in line 3 refers to
* w6 C3 |4 o# E# J   (A) environment
4 l$ s% E) y, H9 b/ }0 N) t   (B) species
- P7 q7 O1 P# g7 w   (C) extinction
1 b1 `0 R  v+ [% p; f3 E   (D) 99 percent  |/ \; F/ i( f& h5 z
21. The word “ultimately” in line 8 is closest in meaning to
+ X% p- A# B7 D. @  p+ ]   (A) exceptionally( k2 y/ ~+ ]! a4 V
   (B) dramatically" ~* g2 G6 }, Z; _9 n4 i
   (C) eventually
  n7 J- L  Q, b- o: N9 }% G   (D) unfortunately
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:36 | 显示全部楼层

托福阅读历年真题精选13

22. What does the author say in paragraph 1 regarding most species in Earth’s history</p>  (A) They have remained basically unchanged from their original forms.6 `. P0 |! z5 i7 V3 F
  (B) They have been able to adapt to ecological changes.
7 j' g3 R  Y  E% z4 t! B1 G(C) They have caused rapid change in the environment.. T9 A7 H* e1 m
(D) They are no longer in existence.
/ t- I5 D+ L4 E23. Which of the following is NOT mentioned in paragraph 1 as resulting from rapid ecological change?
+ \& f( y* N$ A: _" G4 JTemperature changes
- o0 q( x& E0 @' lAvailability of food resources0 ~& a3 b0 {4 o
Introduction of new species
4 A% u2 J7 p  a2 ]Competition among species
' K$ I" p) `" i" M& a+ I" J24. The word “demise” in line 12 is closest in meaning to
+ z8 _* f+ b$ r6 r   (A) change * b' b" ^$ z4 v, J
   (B) recovery 6 a( U! s: ]# e! Z. e3 u" c
   (C) help
9 z% b2 v/ _& ?4 p0 `   (D) death
! `* w9 S8 h% x4 d+ F25. Why is “ plankton” mentioned in line 17?
+ t$ m7 \2 H4 S& v, u; ?4 T (A) To demonstrate the interdependence of different species
! ], q3 r5 c$ z) y/ N+ g6 b (B) To emphasize the importance of food resources in preventing mass extinction.1 W  m' r" V7 [7 u7 z9 L4 o- o
(C) To illustrate a comparison between organisms that live on the land and those that live in the ocean
! |5 J1 l/ n  L( M- Z1 f (D) To point out that certain species could never become extinct.
$ [7 ^2 A+ r) Z- U1 R9 q- f26. According to paragraph 2, evidence from fossils suggests that   m3 n6 u: h% T7 x# n
(A) extinction of species has occurred from time to time throughout Earth’s history.
) J9 N# f+ Z4 _% L, ?/ H(B) Extinctions on Earth have generally been massive
7 T6 _6 P) S& L8 u8 [(C) there has been only one mass extinction in Earth’s history.& K* e; \$ A( o6 M7 N
(D) dinosaurs became extinct much earlier than scientists originally believed.
5 k5 z. C  ]8 f" X27. The word “finding” in line 20 is closest in meaning to 0 [# w/ L. Z) e, ]
(A) published information% H( ?, o& x* ?6 |% Y( l
(B) research method + Y7 P+ s  f% p/ E" o
(C) ongoing experiment
  u4 B' A) n+ F/ }- z  U, _(D) scientific discovery
4 t4 M# m/ W2 P- F5 B/ Z! A4 e+ e  28. Which of the following can be in1 s6 |9 r2 q+ f( \* w8 S. S
(A) Many scientists could be expected to disagree with it 6 h+ d( U2 t( ~3 W* j& i
(B) evidence to support the theory has recently been found.
8 O& h) n  X3 J1 x( j% ?# ?1 ^(C) The theory is no longer seriously considered.
0 Q; y2 d$ f; C: }9 x1 B(D) Most scientists believe the theory to be accurate.. J+ |  s* K+ Z2 {- r
29. In paragraph 3, the author makes which of the following statements about a species’ survival?
" x9 c; P' K2 A) ?7 I(A) It reflects the interrelationship of may species.8 p$ Z( n3 x  A4 X6 g8 W" S
(B) It may depend on chance events.9 V. U- T5 [' w. D3 s
(C) It does not vary greatly from species to species* c* x& \' H: g" H
(D) It is associated with astronomical conditions.
+ l4 L/ {5 w8 d; u: P1 s- S30. According to the passage, it is believed that the largest extinction of a species occurred$ C$ k7 v2 v0 ]  h
  (A) 26 million years ago5 L! c2 c7 I* t- i% T- C
  (B) 65 million years ago
! o2 J$ }& A3 `: f7 `! ?6 j7 q  (C) 225 million years ago! F" G& M0 _3 @( g. N. x
  (D) 250 million years ago
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-23 20:11 , Processed in 0.307987 second(s), 24 queries .