QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 95|回复: 1

[历年真题] 托福阅读历年真题精选11

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:35 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Question 1-9+ c, {2 P1 g* l- ?) B/ Z
  Often enough the craft worker’s place of employment in ancient Greece was set in
' ~6 Z6 f- b7 [/ T7 k: {% B7 A; Yrural isolation. Potter, for instance, found it convenient to locate their workshops near
0 D7 e: S# ~$ p2 L8 utheir source of clay, regardless of its relation to the center of settlement, At Corinth and  t9 D& A2 F' B+ K- Q/ e/ X
line   Athens, however, two of the best-known potters’ quarters were situated on the cities’
6 m  ^+ D7 h( a7 I   outskirts, and potters and makers of terra-cotta figurines were also established well within. H* `' q* p$ b4 n. g
the city of Athens itself. The techniques of pottery manufacture had evolved well before
, s+ S; Y- b+ T. l3 Z  }& ^the Greek period, but marked stylistic developments occurred in shape and in decoration, # |. D- h" o6 f$ c) e
for example, in the interplay of black and other glazes with the red surface of the fired pot.
$ K% Y. |# j: B" O4 \* ?Athenian black-figure and red-figure decoration, which emphasized human figures rather
( O4 Q0 x2 a. x# x; Y6 u% Q6 t than animal images, was adopted between 630 and 530 B.C.;its distinctive color and luster
* u4 o, a( O, J* T" z3 T  L/ Owere the result of the skillful adjustments of the kiln’s temperature during an extended. x7 r# O0 v1 n" |7 A  l
three-stage period if firing the clayware. Whether it was the potters or the vase-painters
: ?* H: W, Y7 I: Iwho initiated changes in firing is unclear; the functions of making and decorating were
6 ^* _+ ~5 G. i* {+ lusually divided between them, but neither group can have been so specialized the they
/ h0 i9 _2 N0 q( [1 m did not share in the concerns of the other.1 y/ Q" T* Q' e5 S
  The broad utility of terra-cotta was such that workers in clay could generally afford to- U$ B# R( P! R6 X+ N/ D
Confine themselves to either decorated ware and housewares like cooking pots and storage
0 e  w0 J. a; {8 y$ b/ i' V: R0 HJars or building materials like roof tiles and drainpipes. Some sixth-and fifth-century B.C.# C6 ?  }4 N* t9 l8 j" A4 F% G9 |
Athenian pottery establishments are known to have concentrated on a limited range of fine$ d4 \- N) T3 l% s0 Y% X; W
ware, but a rural pottery establishment on the island of Thasos produced many types of
0 ~8 N1 b" u) y* Y% h5 ]pottery and roof tiles too, presumably to meet local demand. Molds were used to create) [: O. F! k, F* h! m7 F" U
particular effects for some products, such as relief-decorated vessels and figurines; for1 j. k6 \& \$ g3 R7 I+ }; {
other products such as roof tiles, which were needed in some quantity, they were used to( O  d5 h: F! a
facilitate mass production. There were also a number of poor-quality figurines and painted. ]: F* n' M/ P7 Q
(25)   pots produced in quantity by easy, inexpensive means- as numerous featureless statuettes and unattractive cases testify.
& {2 o  x% f5 H! D/ L& \ + l; f+ I% R" L" ]
# W3 x: L0 }# w. O3 v) i) q
. M0 u3 k0 c. j  n3 I
1. The passage mainly discusses ancient Greek pottery and its
, k9 o8 ~" c! P; U; a& F- K# \+ u(A) production techniques
* L9 i4 q( J8 D(B) similarity to other crafts( W2 ]# D" ]9 h: h1 U
(C) unusual materials
3 r3 o( H7 M: g0 v$ |# r; l+ B(D) resemblance to earlier pottery
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:36 | 显示全部楼层

托福阅读历年真题精选11

2. The phrase “regardless of” in line 3 is closest in meaning to </p>(A) as a result of * Y1 z* c0 U! |: u/ a4 J
(B) no matter what
! F  z+ y: G. T$ Q" Q' l( [(C) proud of
: ^0 q% M% ?6 m* [(D) according to 0 @- V- G1 [6 l! m: ?
3. It can be inferred from the passage that most pottery establishments in ancient Greece were situated! @) o; h! h' e+ Z/ Z0 |; R; l: b
(A) in city centers
; X, N, `; @; D0 `& E(B) on the outskirts of cities! K+ k5 N/ s2 L. \; F  i5 b+ J& H
(C) where clay could be found2 @9 Y. Q" v$ B9 ^& \2 F: V
(D) near other potters’ workshops
, ]) T! R' _3 Z; t4. The word “marked” in line 7 is closest in meaning to, s* d% |# f/ p: S* L
(A) original& l# m) j2 O, |  g+ n4 D- _! R3 ^% F/ h7 ]
(B) attractive
3 i8 X' k3 E0 J(C) noticeable
- K: c/ t4 E+ d$ W- S( C1 x& X(D) patterned
) E  \- t7 D8 \5. The word “confine” in line 17 is closest in meaning to
8 Q) f; s' f' M. \0 h, ^(A) adapt
# d3 m  F& i& J! Y& Y(B) train
" {9 H7 Y: C$ z(C) restrict/ z2 G3 t* M: s; V% q
(D) organize
6 d' w& a- ?1 S( h6 Z6. It can be inferred from the passage that terra-cotta had which of the following advantages”
" x+ `( ~9 C: P" O5 B* u$ l, U9 M4 _- f5 e(A) It did not break during the firing process.
) _4 S. {: ~$ c3 @! V(B) It was less expensive than other available materials.
: F+ U( G$ i- V- I  c  d! B(C) Its surface had a lasting shine.
; e. y  |" K: w5 m/ `1 T(D) It could be used for many purposes.
% v+ m4 W2 w  i; V/ r- ^7. The word “presumably” in line 21 is closest in meaning to
4 E& h, v4 v0 s* z1 K- Q9 z8 ](A) frequently
9 t8 |) [' H# X) ?5 }$ y(B) practically
3 |" N9 A% C7 e0 C# Z: F0 [6 f/ Y(C) preferably
- G3 U+ m8 ~) H' K1 k( ~1 S( n(D) probably7 U: {1 p7 D* Z' s0 t7 n% C
8. The word “they” in line 23 refers to, w5 ]+ G: r0 {* W
(A) molds
) A4 P1 S" ^1 n0 t# E' t) J, t(B) particular effects* X& K$ |$ {; _9 Z7 |
(C) products
! o+ {' @7 X. K8 a(D) vessels and figurines9 `$ |; a: ?$ S( d
9. According to the passage, all of the following are true of ancient Greek potters and vase painters EXCEPT:   ]; ]$ }! ^( L! {6 e  {7 r- J
(A) Their functions were so specialized that they lacked common concerns.) S  D& N* _3 p+ t3 b, K" s
(B) They sometimes produced inferior ware.
- E* V* ]$ Z6 }4 w7 j. C# @(c) They produced pieces that had unusual color and shine.
. [7 A/ L- ^6 C3 e+ c" Y(D) They decorated many of their works with human images.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-23 18:21 , Processed in 0.178465 second(s), 23 queries .