立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 279|回复: 1

[历年真题] 托福阅读历年真题精选19

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:35 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Because the low latitudes of the Earth, the areas near the equator, receive more heat9 ?2 y1 ]7 P; `
Than the latitudes near the poles, and because the nature of heat is to expand and move,
6 T/ F- C6 G) C9 r0 ?Heat is transported from the tropics to the middle and high latitudes. Some of this heat is - ?% f/ l6 a& b9 Z' r' I
Line Moved by winds and some by ocean currents, and some gets stored in the atmosphere in
% h  u: |8 G2 }7 b9 T(5)  the form of latent heat. The term “latent heat” refers to the energy that has to be used to
$ b) X( \" Y. c& V2 ]# @5 G6 fConvert liquid water to water vapor. We know that if we warm a pan of water on a stove,8 o- D9 j; N0 V& \* y, o/ X: K- b
it will evaporate, or turn into vapor, faster than if it is allowed to sit at room temperature.
5 w' u1 I" W9 ?( L& D# wWe also know that if we hang wet clothes outside in the summertime they will dry faster ; b! \/ @4 b6 F! s
than in winter, when temperatures are colder. The energy used in both cases to change
. @3 j: z0 E& f3 z% P(10)  liquid water to water vapor is supplied by heat—supplied by the stove in the first case, c5 `5 N6 k7 t& {# N5 I8 S) d
and by the Sun in the latter case. This energy is not lost. It is stored in water vapor in the 5 k8 D- S+ R, [4 B+ A
atmosphere as latent heat. Eventually, the water stored as vapor in the atmosphere will7 A2 u! E8 }! `; e
condense to liquid again, and the energy will be released to the atmosphere.
$ a. y4 O( k9 e" p- ~       In the atmosphere, a large portion of the Sun’s incoming energy is used to evaporate + C9 e! o6 }1 a# x
(15)  Water, primarily in the tropical oceans. Scientists have tried to quantify this proportion 7 K  F, Z  @" @4 L' c, b; N' Q: R
of the Sun’s energy. By analyzing temperature, water vapor, and wind data around the
2 e$ O' j  j' _5 Q' i- C2 Fglobe, they have estimated the quantity to be about 90 watts per square meter, or nearly 4 e5 O! \! P5 M# Y& z3 Z$ B# j
30 percent of the Sun’s energy. Once this latent heat is stored within the atmosphere, it 4 a7 \& a- i: T
can be transported, primarily to higher latitudes, by prevailing, large-scale winds. Or it 0 a, u$ _6 X9 J/ R0 U5 V/ x8 n
(20)  can be transported vertically to higher levels in the atmosphere, where it forms clouds& Z8 B0 \8 X( {8 N& o) ]
and subsequent storms, which then release the energy back to the atmosphere.
# |6 G0 B$ {7 {' H( i8 C31. The passage mainly discusses how heat
( ~) Z' Y% ?2 K4 m# d, Yis transformed and transported in the Earth’s atmosphere5 |: D8 D, H+ R" \
is transported by ocean currents
+ W3 A) m, `3 v- e# `can be measured and analyzed by scientists: j/ C% x- V3 _( e2 @) F( D: n
moves about the Earth’s equator- @  m: H$ C6 F) X
32. The passage mentions that the tropics differ from the Earth’s polar regions in which of the following ways?
4 Y; q' u2 E( g, NThe height of cloud formation in the atmosphere$ ~; \3 H4 X- d1 H& R
The amount of heat they receive from the Sun
# E+ |0 i' ]- U! R* [The strength of their largescale winds.
( u0 x2 S8 @/ K, D7 j8 yThe strength of their oceanic currents
) i( q/ z! l* u  T0 X33. The word “convert” line 6 is closest in meaning to
" ^# o$ c/ [! _2 Z. Q, z; W. Imix$ N% c1 t1 F& u& `" U! f
change
& j2 p7 f. E( w( }% [. k' K- Y) @adapt# v% W  R2 e% F5 M% B# ]
reduce
9 o  W- m3 ]8 h, V% c0 q
! F' \$ Z! z6 o! V34. Why does the author mention “the stove” in line 10?4 }  D/ V6 f0 i. s4 D0 P9 m
To describe the heat of the Sun4 R# K7 l/ G. n  W& B, D
To illustrate how water vapor is stored
) ^4 h+ L; ?) V1 Q" CTo show how energy is stored
, Y1 \# [6 s3 q  s" B3 U. JTo give an example of a heat source
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:36 | 显示全部楼层

托福阅读历年真题精选19

35. According to the passage, most ocean water evaporation occurs especially </p>around the higher latitudes; {/ G. A8 H: ?. Q- c( A+ `
in the tropics8 f0 k* k0 D2 ^, R3 Q
because of large-scale winds
( T8 G$ ]2 q. ?5 }) s/ `3 Zbecause of strong ocean currents8 \$ K  ]! v; i( O1 p( `9 G6 J  N
36. According to the passage, 30 percent of the Sun’s incoming energy
, o; v6 ]+ ~7 R8 {is stored in clouds in the lower latitudes3 u7 V3 v7 U* x+ ]# X
is transported by ocean currents
) `; J: C3 j/ c$ E* |, y: B6 Y: xnever leaves the upper atmosphere# O8 `# K/ d- Y- U! ]) X$ S
gets stored as latent heat8 ^% {- e- y5 T2 f# }2 ]

+ z; ~# R) e/ q1 G, Z37. The word “it” in line 18 refers to ' ?( A  `, A' O
square meter
+ p( d8 s( u1 }# E) mthe Sun’s energy
) b- R9 x; y9 ]% Qlatent heat
+ a. ?! P) Y7 U1 pthe atmosphere( z& a0 u6 o4 V) e# X9 a

+ I2 a: c/ I2 h  C, ?- s2 H* z$ H38. The word “primarily” in line 19 is closest in meaning to & o# R! s7 S# A3 Z  L1 q
chiefly) C. k3 z( S% `! f" o  f" z
originally& b) E9 H7 a, B
basically
+ x: y1 M& a% Z) [clearly
* g) y1 E1 ?5 A) y4 W7 ^9 n
. h2 x$ O! T  w7 }39. The word “prevailing” in line 19 is closest in meaning to , u6 a( j; T) C
essential+ Y6 N$ n  D* {* K
dominant
9 z! x( A) m3 d% i& f: o2 t5 t, mcircular
* z% P; E, Q, b/ Y# R* qclosest
0 d7 G# B" O3 A0 d! a- z 8 x2 B' V* {2 }6 L
40. All of the following words are defined in the passage EXCEPT
- a5 a& O; b/ v' x  Wlow latitudes (line1)  n9 q1 ^" R5 j* I. G/ `7 _3 M
latent heat (line5)
) V8 h& n1 Z/ ~5 `2 P5 m/ Yevaporate (line7)
, {5 f( i2 d  F$ F7 y4 z* M7 Xatmosphere (line140)
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-23 19:42 , Processed in 0.149153 second(s), 23 queries .