立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 81|回复: 1

[历年真题] 托福阅读历年真题精选18

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:35 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
It is estimated that over 99 percent of all species that ever existed have become 6 Q& H( D& ]' }
extinct. What causes extinction? When a species is no longer adapted to a changed   [: _( w0 ^( w) ]( `" a1 ]9 c, \
environment, it may perish. The exact causes of a species’ death vary from situation
3 x# i+ M; |; q+ @% aLine  to situation. Rapid ecological change may render an environment hostile to a species.
9 |( M+ x' ]$ t" |% |For example, temperatures may change and a species may not be able to adapt. Food, e9 J4 h5 h7 v* ?6 [7 M
Resources may be affected by environmental changes, which will then cause problems- N, D8 v, F4 i: u0 \9 v# }( h
For a species requiring these resources. Other species may become better adapted to an$ e5 z- L" e% E  O# U; P  j
Environment, resulting in competition and, ultimately, in the death of a species.
* d( `6 j$ ^  K( U2 m  The fossil record reveals that extinction has occurred throughout the history of Earth., p  o4 n; b+ @6 n; Z4 t
(10) Recent analyses have also revealed that on some occasions many species became extinct
9 S/ a# E$ h7 V9 p5 i    at the same time—a mass extinction. One of the best-known examples of mass extinction
7 N" h5 B" {/ m+ g% E" Q7 w+ p    occurred 65 million years ago with the demise of dinosaurs and many other forms of life.- Q  b7 p3 `# o, E5 ]' c) g
    Perhaps the largest mass extinction was the one that occurred 225 million years ago,
3 D3 ~: b, Z7 R  N+ C9 k" Q    When approximately 95 percent of all species died, Mass extinctions can be caused by2 |: C8 Z* y7 i  f
(15) a relatively rapid change in the environment and can be worsened by the close
" b# [5 I6 ~4 N  ?0 I    interrelationship of many species. If, for example, something were to happen to destroy
, W1 Y- H1 g$ M, N6 H5 e    much of the plankton in the oceans, then the oxygen content of Earth would drop,& w. B! p! {- o# N- {, e* Z3 d& i+ U
    affection even organisms not living in the oceans. Such a change would probably lead to a mass extinction.$ @1 c0 @+ n( K+ G
One interesting, and controversial, finding is that extinctions during the past 250
# C; @9 f" D& h; J    Million years have tended to be more intense every 26 million years. This periodic
$ w# B& w. L- N2 m+ A+ Vextinction might be due to intersection of the Earth’s orbit with a cloud of comets, but
! N) c  N9 p5 _. R7 f  ]! Tthis theory is purely speculative. Some researchers have also speculated tat extinction1 \2 G' @6 G( ~: e( E9 Z5 p
may often be random. That is, certain species may be eliminated and others may survive( i! H$ S0 C9 E: n# {3 v8 x
(25) for no particular reason. A species’ survival may have nothing to do with its ability or6 `8 F. [9 z! v) C
inability to adapt. If so, some of evolutionary history may reflect a sequence of essentially : m5 O" K, P, f( t! x" H  B
random events.
6 h# L  @! Z4 k, [
1 R( E: J" w7 \6 w/ ]7 I  p( R# e/ Q20. The word “it” in line 3 refers to
' O+ l5 k2 B/ u' @% _" X! ^) H   (A) environment4 D: A6 {2 \% w! B' f# f- @" Y
   (B) species
6 v- x. C# y7 a6 F   (C) extinction
& ?2 ^8 T4 S3 N% k8 l% A3 t/ [   (D) 99 percent
' ?+ Z7 W, d9 i8 U  E/ Z4 F21. The word “ultimately” in line 8 is closest in meaning to
2 r% R+ d% L! r4 a9 R   (A) exceptionally
4 N* j* p& D8 S2 c   (B) dramatically
7 M% p& h. M) j# D   (C) eventually
5 O, |" Z; F3 P( ~( h- ]. K8 E   (D) unfortunately
. {* g7 b1 G" t" y  ?: `2 ]5 x( U* C* G22. What does the author say in paragraph 1 regarding most species in Earth’s history
3 B4 @' \/ E/ B# P. m  (A) They have remained basically unchanged from their original forms.
" Q: g; k5 A2 [8 z6 G  (B) They have been able to adapt to ecological changes.
& A( x( p; P( l# T' s( u3 N% T(C) They have caused rapid change in the environment.; ?, t2 _1 W( y2 d  `9 Z0 \* }
(D) They are no longer in existence.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:36 | 显示全部楼层

托福阅读历年真题精选18

23. Which of the following is NOT mentioned in paragraph 1 as resulting from rapid ecological change?</p>Temperature changes
/ _( W8 }7 ^/ R& M6 {9 XAvailability of food resources; A3 b8 z$ \5 }" @1 N- `! e
Introduction of new species
7 z, E: i+ J; S  ?% `- _& g% JCompetition among species
4 s* u5 I( C+ I* D( ?! v; X% `# a) `24. The word “demise” in line 12 is closest in meaning to ( f" M" L3 m" `- b$ Z" o
   (A) change
" n& s1 }: s" o7 T" m) U. I   (B) recovery
2 [# i$ [+ @9 W3 h- l   (C) help
% {* n, s$ \1 l+ X' S9 q% @   (D) death
$ m1 |3 s1 G7 A; m0 W. I5 e+ R25. Why is “ plankton” mentioned in line 17?
! k7 \; m  z. q0 G (A) To demonstrate the interdependence of different species' [$ J$ |! \* _3 N6 I
(B) To emphasize the importance of food resources in preventing mass extinction.7 h0 e, U# T% k# t$ _" p* Q
(C) To illustrate a comparison between organisms that live on the land and those that live in the ocean
: T( P- D6 U, a3 ]7 u (D) To point out that certain species could never become extinct.
" n) m& j. d& l4 \9 U- u! a
! H( q( N% w* ?4 p, b26. According to paragraph 2, evidence from fossils suggests that " D7 Y/ Q1 e( g& |8 `" R& j  r( @
(A) extinction of species has occurred from time to time throughout Earth’s history.
- r' T1 j# t8 K' c+ W6 y(B) Extinctions on Earth have generally been massive4 e" Z* n0 q8 F6 {4 f  ~2 z; h: O/ a: T
(C) there has been only one mass extinction in Earth’s history.
) ^$ v+ ?: C; G+ P' d; i1 v(D) dinosaurs became extinct much earlier than scientists originally believed.
" C' d6 R  a( g% o; x27. The word “finding” in line 20 is closest in meaning to
. f/ ^/ G2 V7 A7 U. }! O(A) published information
3 b* J# ~/ }% N(B) research method , H8 T3 ~  R6 ]
(C) ongoing experiment
2 ^- Y5 O8 f. R1 O(D) scientific discovery
2 I  l- D* D9 h( J  28. Which of the following can be in
: K/ v0 [4 x* z( m" w. P(A) Many scientists could be expected to disagree with it
2 D! W5 O' q3 s; z' O, \, R9 L(B) evidence to support the theory has recently been found.) N: g* y0 J# Q* D5 \# O; ^* h
(C) The theory is no longer seriously considered." g! n- U5 U2 l3 k# ?3 T' }: n& w
(D) Most scientists believe the theory to be accurate.
$ q8 @  h# g* r) o29. In paragraph 3, the author makes which of the following statements about a species’ survival?) y8 [5 A! n' d+ G) k* f2 ?, n
(A) It reflects the interrelationship of may species.8 R8 i9 a6 m; [( Z
(B) It may depend on chance events.
4 W5 a, ?4 D8 C(C) It does not vary greatly from species to species5 D9 }) W$ _2 s
(D) It is associated with astronomical conditions.8 \8 n# q/ S3 y- j' C
30. According to the passage, it is believed that the largest extinction of a species occurred
& k# A  ~2 x/ H  (A) 26 million years ago
5 B3 @- o& `4 W' D! m# h6 J; T  (B) 65 million years ago5 j9 W. O5 s4 H' Q
  (C) 225 million years ago  @8 K/ x" ~7 g1 M
  (D) 250 million years ago
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-6-6 00:34 , Processed in 0.326888 second(s), 23 queries .