QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 150|回复: 2

[历年真题] 托福阅读历年真题精选16

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:35 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Question 1-90 O8 N# n& R6 W, q6 {5 x3 A
     Often enough the craft worker’s place of employment in ancient Greece was set in
$ A+ _/ Z4 f! ^rural isolation. Potter, for instance, found it convenient to locate their workshops near - q# Y8 Q2 N6 w  ~3 [
their source of clay, regardless of its relation to the center of settlement, At Corinth and
0 s3 m, t/ A# dline   Athens, however, two of the best-known potters’ quarters were situated on the cities’ - ^* j( f$ g# \
   outskirts, and potters and makers of terra-cotta figurines were also established well within# T( V5 T/ p. a
the city of Athens itself. The techniques of pottery manufacture had evolved well before! K9 G' Z) \+ m( |$ z
the Greek period, but marked stylistic developments occurred in shape and in decoration, ) d% |; |) A9 Z: W6 [1 ^* t+ P+ R, I
for example, in the interplay of black and other glazes with the red surface of the fired pot.
- T0 S+ O$ e+ |' NAthenian black-figure and red-figure decoration, which emphasized human figures rather
0 G1 I4 `  P& u7 ? than animal images, was adopted between 630 and 530 B.C.;its distinctive color and luster
9 P+ F# \7 [: Ywere the result of the skillful adjustments of the kiln’s temperature during an extended
/ [# }0 a/ O* w" I: a2 ythree-stage period if firing the clayware. Whether it was the potters or the vase-painters 2 f$ D; L6 Z1 V* w1 @
who initiated changes in firing is unclear; the functions of making and decorating were 9 O: W) D; y/ `: @3 [' z  v- G" ~1 L$ k
usually divided between them, but neither group can have been so specialized the they + f4 _" G5 c6 ]7 n1 R/ }
did not share in the concerns of the other.
" J3 N/ _0 K1 i( t3 C; \+ M  The broad utility of terra-cotta was such that workers in clay could generally afford to* ?' ^& K( a3 p
Confine themselves to either decorated ware and housewares like cooking pots and storage
. Y% n$ |+ X' X0 o" V2 ^Jars or building materials like roof tiles and drainpipes. Some sixth-and fifth-century B.C.0 }: q4 C/ d( Z) W+ w0 Y: ^6 D6 @
Athenian pottery establishments are known to have concentrated on a limited range of fine
$ J, k9 M0 T& c4 E9 g ware, but a rural pottery establishment on the island of Thasos produced many types of
" i( H( P0 _' z3 a0 _pottery and roof tiles too, presumably to meet local demand. Molds were used to create$ s" T$ m. \) |/ }
particular effects for some products, such as relief-decorated vessels and figurines; for
3 w3 r5 Z7 b( @; Z  j$ ]other products such as roof tiles, which were needed in some quantity, they were used to% r. C: L9 f% C7 ^& k$ M
facilitate mass production. There were also a number of poor-quality figurines and painted
1 b, |: X( l7 s3 W" v(25)   pots produced in quantity by easy, inexpensive means- as numerous featureless statuettes and unattractive cases testify.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:36 | 显示全部楼层

托福阅读历年真题精选16

1. The passage mainly discusses ancient Greek pottery and its</p>(A) production techniques
5 A& f2 |. b3 J; Z4 B(B) similarity to other crafts+ f: }+ {. H9 a  Z+ ~" y
(C) unusual materials3 W5 x" X4 j7 E
(D) resemblance to earlier pottery
% }, d* t1 ^% ]2. The phrase “regardless of” in line 3 is closest in meaning to ) r6 h0 K" o3 f  z
(A) as a result of
6 H7 R9 v* |( r(B) no matter what - N, N& z( m6 e! G
(C) proud of ( D& n/ p+ P+ O% G2 ]( [$ P
(D) according to
5 i' i) k6 e3 h3. It can be inferred from the passage that most pottery establishments in ancient Greece were situated
* s- R! V0 ]9 y% H+ K% f(A) in city centers+ `- r* l0 q  ~+ F1 j4 v: |- F; k
(B) on the outskirts of cities; P* p+ S5 y7 H
(C) where clay could be found* u5 J) }. I+ c; h( k; {
(D) near other potters’ workshops: z' _: H; Y) O5 E
4. The word “marked” in line 7 is closest in meaning to
( H3 G. r  m1 o4 _0 M  S1 D) `(A) original
8 C9 F" {; N4 M9 R% e(B) attractive
8 Q0 S) K# K( y, y(C) noticeable9 w0 J* C1 y9 B% a8 f+ h9 P
(D) patterned: Q- L  m  L% Q3 ]3 b, U; {; t
5. The word “confine” in line 17 is closest in meaning to 2 I/ c$ @& u6 D
(A) adapt
  a3 s9 P0 a$ Z, @! V(B) train
2 H! H8 q7 F/ C( F(C) restrict0 ^- j  P+ _8 ~- y7 D% _% I
(D) organize
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:37 | 显示全部楼层

托福阅读历年真题精选16

6. It can be inferred from the passage that terra-cotta had which of the following advantages”</p>(A) It did not break during the firing process.2 g: W) ~. @$ M
(B) It was less expensive than other available materials.& I$ c; n$ X% S' j+ D4 G7 j9 q0 I
(C) Its surface had a lasting shine.
# Q, v+ V0 G0 T6 ^(D) It could be used for many purposes.
# X5 y  X5 }1 a+ o9 r7. The word “presumably” in line 21 is closest in meaning to
/ }" O  S- r& N/ r5 L0 N" t% d! Y(A) frequently
& h: b* B. s# z1 a! ~(B) practically3 K* Z2 f' h5 H( P" Z! |- ^2 L
(C) preferably$ N6 F* F' f0 q: M0 w3 d
(D) probably& H. e* e! s: E2 T  N& ]+ m
8. The word “they” in line 23 refers to
' Y; A% T* I/ r(A) molds- F, S3 n1 t+ g+ W" W' W0 ~/ v
(B) particular effects
: j5 C4 T' o& V3 g0 U3 K- o4 i6 N(C) products6 f( K: |+ J8 L$ P  Y
(D) vessels and figurines) Y6 ?0 @3 [# r; J! a
9. According to the passage, all of the following are true of ancient Greek potters and vase painters EXCEPT: 6 Z; l' h  X) P) f6 ~
(A) Their functions were so specialized that they lacked common concerns.
/ C( m* [/ q  f' U1 r(B) They sometimes produced inferior ware.
7 M8 c) x' U) a. T+ y" L" _; ]/ @+ Z" v(c) They produced pieces that had unusual color and shine.
: N# Z% n0 A# v, W(D) They decorated many of their works with human images.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-23 19:54 , Processed in 0.171105 second(s), 25 queries .