立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 104|回复: 2

[历年真题] 托福阅读历年真题精选24

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:35 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Some animal behaviorists argue that certain animals can remember past events, 0 }: O. ]! _  q( s: q: }! Q# A
anticipate future ones, make plans and choices, and coordinate activities within a  
; G- F& y7 N! q% H0 mgroup. These scientists, however, are cautious about the extent to which animals can  
" G" `! z4 n$ c- d2 _2 G6 N$ hbe credited with conscious processing. ' K0 p4 F$ H- {9 x" A3 A
(5)     Explanations of animal behavior that leave out any sort of consciousness at all! Q0 \2 p: a' G3 B+ x  S% v
and ascribe actions entirely to instinct leave many questions unanswered. One  
1 m3 t  n% B7 z, O5 A$ Wexample of such unexplained behavior: Honeybees communicate the sources of  $ D: q; [6 x9 C0 c% `8 }# M  W
nectar to one another by doing a dance in a figure-eight pattern. The orientation of  6 [8 P, Z" }- E+ k. T4 W& c* I
the dance conveys the position of the food relative to the sun's position in the sky,  ' E) T& s1 T2 r1 B9 f
(10)and the speed of the dance tells how far the food source is from the hive. Most  ' V+ I5 R3 S7 E) k
researchers assume that the ability to perform and encode the dance is innate and  6 v$ M2 S, j* ?6 N7 g' g
shows no special intelligence. But in one study, when experimenters kept changing  
- H- U0 E) V2 P# N2 ~$ T, \8 {the site of the food source, each time moving the food 25 percent farther from the  
; ]# f8 y# F+ z, S# a+ gprevious site, foraging honeybees began to anticipate where the food source would  7 U2 D7 E% s; E. ?+ V
(15)  appear next. When the researchers arrived at the new location, they would find the  
1 X" n2 p' x+ Sbees circling the spot, waiting for their food. No one has yet explained how bees,  
+ e4 s* u$ b% I" o" T5 o: ewhose brains weigh four ten-thousandths of an ounce, could have inferred the  ; _& o8 a2 E2 m
location of the new site. - G9 m( R' {% N8 F
Other behaviors that may indicate some cognition include tool use. Many  
% H/ E+ ?# g7 t6 x9 [1 X(20)animals, like the otter who uses a stone to crack mussel shells, are capable of using  + P' [! B1 |/ Z4 i. q8 e; t' q4 v
objects in the natural environment as rudimentary tools. One researcher has found  9 d- l/ c  n7 E2 E4 L
that mother chimpanzees occasionally show their young how to use tools to open  + T1 w( P/ L" i' C# l# S5 q& q
hard nuts. In one study, chimpanzees compared two pairs of food wells containing  
9 C% g2 t) ]8 U6 fchocolate chips. One pair might contain, say, five chips and three chips, the other  # X& ^3 E2 \7 |5 J5 h2 _# ^+ E
(25)our chips and three chips. Allowed to choose which pair they wanted, the  ) V6 R6 S) q; C: t
chimpanzees almost always chose the one with the higher total, showing some sort  
. _, A# u, M$ I5 B7 ?of summing ability. Other chimpanzees have learned to use numerals to label  
/ O2 N# t* r/ s* N2 N0 E1 b9 @2 R9 iquantities of items and do simple sums.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:36 | 显示全部楼层

托福阅读历年真题精选24

20.  What does the passage mainly discuss? </p>(A)  The role of instinct in animal behavior
9 M( q& O% J  c5 x(B)  Observations that suggest consciousness in animal behavior # C9 ~/ B$ W1 f8 ~- ^
(C)  The use of food in studies of animal behavior 3 P: s0 J! _, y- X! U* v
(D)  Differences between the behavior of animals in their natural environments and in laboratory experiments.
; C) T1 t$ j7 J2 v- q% d& V# W . b2 L- x) E1 k2 j8 F
21.  Which of the following is NOT discussed as an ability animals are thought to have?
9 I; j5 U, u- U# {+ v0 j(A)  Selecting among choices  ! B& X& ^" L2 U8 T/ G; ]8 J3 i
(B)  Anticipating events to come ; }$ _, \" k: O( \3 ]/ ~
(C)  Remembering past experiences
% ?1 I) n4 M# y8 s  X(D)  Communicating emotions
9 n* _. p9 z# v3 T
, b0 x: }9 W- `- q, \; P1 c; A# h: g2 E22.  What is the purpose of the honeybee dance? * T2 f( n9 ]' y# `
(A) To determine the quantity of food at a site
3 Y! t  n0 N6 W: f, u(B) To communicate the location of food
1 J% C  v+ U7 \(C) To increase the speed of travel to food sources
9 p- @. [1 U' u) _. W4 K2 ^(D) T identify the type of nectar that is available  
7 X' H9 b9 q" N4 t0 ~. i0 g; z% t, N& D . }+ A- I+ d& ]& ?  ?" c* {7 }; a
23.  The word "yet" in line 16 is closest in meaning to * j8 j) \" [, |0 {& i
(A)  however/ ?7 ?2 |" }! n3 k! @9 ~  ^
(B)  since " n% b+ C; k8 R% |) ]
(C)  generally - c% ~' D+ |4 W9 y- j$ z8 B
(D)  so far
* y6 _) v$ n, T0 X6 X$ Y8 O" j
8 a9 \4 n" p. Q. U1 d* s" n24.  What did researchers discover in the study of honeybees discussed in paragraph 2?
% h; e4 N/ r; l/ n(A) Bees are able to travel at greater speeds than scientists thought. $ x% e; `' D! E) o, F  k8 D+ H- w5 r
(B) The bees could travel 25% farther than scientists expected.
# ?9 w3 ?0 N  P( w0 V. I4 h(C) The bees were able to determine in advance where scientists would place their food. " X1 E' i3 R& P! s  ^
(D) Changing the location of food caused bees to decrease their dance activity.  3 [4 d  o) g; H! g4 H! c0 F. w

, V$ X2 a, M. y2 n  a25.  It can be inferred from the passage that brain size is assumed to
( V, Q* c# z# K& P7 g, `" S(A)  be an indicator of cognitive ability 4 z, W) x, y7 T& W
(B)  vary among individuals within a species
% ]0 C5 x6 `, g1 t" y(C)  be related to food consumption ' h7 R" {9 c4 ~% k- v) l$ F& v
(D)  correspond to levels of activity
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:37 | 显示全部楼层

托福阅读历年真题精选24

26.  Why are otters and mussel shells included in the discussion in paragraph 3? </p>(A) To provide an example of tool use among animals # A9 w6 ^$ l0 M, T( J9 p
(B) To prove that certain species demonstrate greater ability in tool use than other species , J) f( W* d, u3 |7 e3 D* g  y
(C)) ]" f5 o$ d) e( x+ j
(D)  a8 m; u: s6 W; S" p

4 j6 h; i& C6 j* H; ?* r27.  The word "rudimentary" in line 21 is closest in meaning to  0 a( }( }3 E, r$ R2 j
(A)  superior! a/ F* |! h2 U( Z
(B)  original $ V! O; |& k1 l. B2 @4 h6 S( p4 |9 p
(C)  basic# H8 B6 I8 W1 ^7 ^" z) ^
(D)  technical / L( ?$ k5 S" J! E

+ i2 S+ d$ P  I8 `1 n28.  It can be inferred from the statement about mother chimpanzees and their young (lines 21-23) that young chimpanzees have difficulty  
" i( _; Y9 x+ ^0 f. z(A)  communicating with their mothers ; `. T! ^/ K& S& i7 @2 J! J) J& h4 u
(B)  adding quantities  
0 T/ q. |- M7 f" y4 v0 o9 O3 t2 ](C)  making choices
4 d- m3 n, X9 f, N* G6 _(D)  opening hard nuts
; O7 K7 T, W& b* C' Z; f8 g/ U. R3 I 1 Z$ [$ A" P4 e& ^( O
29.  The phrase "the one" in line 26 refers to the
7 q2 `+ ~3 J) F0 w(A) study
& r  X9 r3 E% b$ v(B) pair + J$ n) d0 ]& \5 U  ?
(C) chimpanzee * [. m5 q: f& W9 r& M
(D) ability 5 w6 \3 R4 L' r, ]: D$ ]8 K

. y/ v, Q( }+ P! v' y5 M30.  Scientists concluded from the experiment with chimpanzees and chocolate chips / `1 q( O( [& {- C; [1 y6 g, ?
that chimpanzees
$ k% p3 f) ?) d9 X- W+ y! p- R(A)  lack abilities that other primates have
2 h2 w+ k7 }/ _, x8 c(B)  prefer to work in pairs or groups
1 {* j$ ^# D2 B1 w0 A" ^(C)  exhibit behavior that indicates certain mathematical abilities 1 \8 y  _% |! y5 l4 y5 b2 K
(D)  have difficulty selecting when given choices
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-6-5 23:11 , Processed in 0.220705 second(s), 25 queries .