立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 316|回复: 1

[历年真题] 托福阅读历年真题精选21

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:35 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
The first birds appeared during late Jurassic times. These birds are known from  
' ~2 Y2 D/ v7 _; c- cfour very good skeletons, two incomplete skeletons, and an isolated feather, all from  ' \6 H9 S" j7 l% Z8 |" \2 h. G+ b5 k
the Solnhofen limestone of Bavaria, Germany. This fine-grained rock, which is  % s( o' d% h4 {5 H1 S3 k" b/ y
extensively quarried for lithographic stone, was evidently deposited in a shallow  ; y: Z. F# }) U/ V5 |9 V. Q
(5) coral lagoon of a tropical sea, and flying vertebrates occasionally fell into the water  
+ t0 @2 z& \$ S2 p2 [and were buried by the fine limy mud, to be preserved with remarkable detail In this  6 s( g: t9 u7 C9 ^$ N0 T. t' Q
way, the late Jurassic bird skeletons, which have been named Archaeopteryx, were  
; ]7 T+ H( e6 hfossilized. And not only were the bones preserved in these skeletons, but so also  $ P7 b! S% O+ x* N# B
were imprints of the feathers. If the indications of feathers had not been preserved in  # j& F+ D6 ]* I" g+ g
(10)association with Archaeopteryx, it is likely that these fossils would have been  
$ }; \" h* X1 ]9 ]  @( bclassified among the dinosaurs, for they show numerous theropod characteristics. ' d! ?: W4 _) ]* A6 t3 z% t! S
Archaeopteryx were animals about the size of a crow, with an archeosaurian type of  , b: T* v! Z5 Y+ }0 ~- N; |
skull, a long neck, a compact body balanced on a pair of strong hind limbs, and a  ( j) }( q; |1 c) a3 Q6 w  J
long tail. The forelimbs were enlarged and obviously functioned as wings.   ~0 ], c3 I9 X2 L
(15) Modern birds, who are the descendants of these early birds, are highly  ( w2 \( l7 W+ d5 F
organized animals, with a constant body temperature and a very high rate of  5 m/ m8 n* s$ `2 d" x6 ~/ N
metabolism. In addition, they are remarkable for having evolved extraordinarily  
2 s: k, @8 ]3 Y. a/ q: k' ?6 Rcomplex behavior patterns such as those of nesting and song, and the habit among  2 `! f8 U. y, @: y( {& \0 M
many species of making long migrations from one continent to another and back
1 Z7 ?% K, u+ j(20)each year. , d9 |0 G- C* ]" y
Most birds also have very strong legs, which allows them to run or walk on the 1 w  Y( z' {1 ~$ Y8 _
ground as well as to fly in the air. Indeed, some of the waterbirds, such as ducks and : P% T. \3 T' }; q8 `
geese, have the distinction of being able to move around proficiently in the water, on
6 F1 e- \5 l5 |' ~" Dland, and in the air, a range in natural locomotor ability that has never been attained . p& [# Z9 i8 Y* X" n5 t
(25)by any other vertebrate.
2 |+ O, M8 Q& K" D! c+ M& ~. Y
/ [7 s) s2 R% }7 I
% b' U# {" n7 ?+ t* y
& m4 K- Y$ ~! x. a2 P) U1.  According to the author, all of-the following evidence relating to the first birds was found EXCEPT " t' K4 ?' |) c
(A) nesting materials, p& C9 l( v6 D' e# E
(B) four skeletons in good condition
: S1 ^+ @! j  Z1 `) K' N(C) two fragmented skeletons : b- G/ S: e9 I
(D) a single feather 6 q. G! G0 R9 [% |1 G; x

1 C% b% u% ]% L% U! A7 H2.  The word "preserved" in line 8 is closest in meaning to 4 \* I5 E# j' c. G" P5 P" `
(A) confused with others 6 x7 O: Z5 `% G( m0 L
(B) gradually weakened   v  b! d% k8 {! x
(C) protected from destruction ! h4 X8 P* H7 g8 t2 d2 P
(D) lost permanently
0 o4 o  f9 K) A  I& u% O 2 T+ Q! g( i8 f* |' @  I
3.  It can be inferred from the passage that the Archaeopteryx were classified as birds on the basis of
) ^  v& J0 M) i7 E(A) imprints of bones
6 W8 s- Q5 p' N2 K  k( }5 b' K9 J# R8 M(B) imprints of feathers 3 e1 l' t' v6 A3 a0 }5 E: y
(C) the neck structure
9 B; x! Y" s6 k9 d(D) skeletons
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:36 | 显示全部楼层

托福阅读历年真题精选21

4.  The word "they" in line 11 refers to </p>(A) indications
" D, K6 A& {) k, D. `8 Y6 v; i/ D(B) fossils
- d# c- `/ R) v5 E6 f(C) dinosaurs 3 U( ]3 |- R2 E
(D) characteristics
) W$ ?  P$ }$ P* T8 A' I ( ]0 J2 u' k( k- ]2 i
5.  Why does the author mention "a crow" in line 12?
. C# a- }, X1 q" x8 q(A) to indicate the size of Archaeopteryx
, C0 z& p+ j2 T$ H4 Z& {(B) To specify the age of the Archaeopteryx fossils
; _- d- y4 M; M) d; j( {; x(C) To explain the evolutionary history of Archaeopteryx ' {9 _0 a; M0 B; `7 ]) b
(D) To demonstrate the superiority of the theropod to Archaeopteryx ( L+ e3 {% `- g7 f8 s

$ j3 P: M7 V' k( g5 c2 i% M9 f6. It can be inferred from the passage that theropods were 6 W. \3 a0 H8 G' Y
(A) dinosaurs $ |7 a/ C8 R0 p3 u' W* s
(B) birds  4 A- s, X( l; C  b9 A+ L2 l
(C) Archaeopteryx  5 J; w9 |) H- ?. ~1 r* z
(D)crows ( R; W; y! [; _3 Z6 S
9 {3 O8 R% _! S- R6 g$ u
7. The word "constant" in line 16 is closest in meaning to  
: B2 t* j# E' J3 r) `(A) comfortable! M5 P  R4 i6 r& L& L& b8 P- Y
(B) combined
" y6 f, `# [3 R/ E) X(C) consistent- i5 t2 p2 w- X# n- G
(D) complementary
) d" U* d, A' v2 W5 a. K % I* I' R' y& u6 R) l( u2 O
8.   The author mentions all of the following as examples of complex behavior patterns evolved by birds EXCEPT
8 l, |5 m( n6 D9 S$ P7 L6 Q( ?(A) migrating; x1 M7 u* K# T# A% W9 B/ U
(B) nesting
1 y0 A# ]% j5 V! |. L(C)singing
) \! [2 t4 n2 t$ u.(D) running & m* {: w2 v2 S+ e
# q$ r' j( o! ^4 a9 M8 }+ ?
9. The word "attained" in line 24 is closest in meaning to  1 M5 F( y' _* D7 H3 _- ?
(A) required
* ~( x; a0 T& v/ D- q(B) achieved  
+ D2 f8 T' b0 g5 n/ ]( e1 e(C) observed
, {, C+ B. g0 M7 T* V0 {8 e% N1 ]4 ~(D) merited
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-23 18:50 , Processed in 0.154915 second(s), 23 queries .