QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 173|回复: 1

[历年真题] 托福阅读历年真题精选28

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:35 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Questions 11-192 M8 l" ^8 |$ h7 I# r: V- F5 x
The origins of nest-building remain obscure, but current observation of nest-building
: ~9 U* P3 k- Y3 }. }activities provide evidence of their evolution. Clues to this evolutionary process can be
. }) I% D) ^1 O9 qfound in the activities of play and in the behavior and movements of birds during mating,
' h# V! ]  {9 i/ c* H: @Line such as incessant pulling at strips of vegetation or scraping of the soil. During the early  `1 @& i# Z* K- \9 x" N
(5)  days of the reproductive cycle, the birds seem only to play with the building materials. In  x6 C) T& o2 ^7 I
preparation for mating, they engage in activities that resemble nest-building, and continue
7 l, \  V3 q2 f0 j) l7 Q$ _these activities throughout and even after the mating cycle. Effective attempts at construction
; z7 I. o1 V; Hoccur only after mating.) w& h% o" N2 c
Although nest-building is an instinctive ability, there is considerable adaptability in1 G: I/ c! h  }( j6 G" h
(10) both site selection and use of materials, especially with those species which build quite
. i; V' x9 c5 b2 ]elaborate constructions. Furthermore, some element of learning is often evident since" ?1 |7 P+ s1 F# l, ]' g  l: B
younger birds do not build as well as their practiced elders. Young ravens, for example,/ a4 o" \4 I" y
first attempt to build with sticks of quite unsuitable size, while a jackdaw's first nest
1 n: d& O5 `. D# V; l0 }includes virtually any movable object. The novelist John Steinbeck recorded the contents
# i2 p1 r1 ?% d! {& @(15) of a young osprey nest built in his garden, which included three shirts, a bath towel, and
& C/ S$ P1 K2 C  Vone arrow.. G3 w; @4 U4 z
Birds also display remarkable behavior in collecting building materials. Crows have
2 u6 t9 q1 a' u0 r: U* ?2 {# kbeen seen to tear off stout green twigs, and sparrowhawks will dive purposefully onto a" r/ E6 l: g: r7 b) A
branch until it snaps and then hang upside down to break it off. Golden eagles, over
% h% u% w8 N. [7 u" B- z& P* I(20) generations of work, construct enormous nests. One of these, examined after it had been8 s( z! V! G, |' w$ A3 J
dislodged by high winds, weighed almost two tons and included foundation branches8 o6 Y6 ^4 r* ?' ^0 [! o
almost two meters long. The carrying capacity of the eagles, however, is only relative to, t+ d/ b8 m  y) ^& M
their size ant1 most birds are able to carry an extra load of just over twenty percent of their8 c( {) W  f7 n& H, j; c8 W6 Z  z0 C
body weight.
8 D% X0 P% ]  t0 ~7 x$ s
5 A& H4 e3 `% d7 e  D( \. C6 {6 {

- ]8 \  Y6 {, V+ ]& W7 U/ E11. The word "obscure" in line 1 is closest in meaning to
0 E) V, y6 v9 h3 D  ?4 B; `(A) interesting
; m& U6 z1 Z: c- c4 D& H(B) unclear2 P& e" B8 a. n" w& J
(C) imperfect
; H$ ~! c9 n* @0 I6 u(D) complex
3 G6 C- Q$ ^1 L& D' E+ l" X
; w( b9 B5 i. k/ I" S12. According to the passage, which of the following activities is characteristic of the early part of the reproductive cycle of birds?
+ B2 U9 G+ D/ _(A) Selecting a mate- A2 `* S: b' Y/ g: c! F
(B) Collecting nest-building materials) R  X! a! [9 Y$ X) }# b
(C) Playing with nest-building materials
; h% \" x" |1 _; {) j(D) Building a nest
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:36 | 显示全部楼层

托福阅读历年真题精选28

13. The word "display" in line 17 is closest in meaning to</p>(A) communicate' M7 v* t* e. ?9 s! n) H! v
(B) imitate
* V% c0 u% P) q+ C: v$ q$ b(C) initiate
* U  Z0 f* M; e8 J$ k(D) exhibit
2 b: U* M, z) Y
1 J3 P7 x; ?$ J( g. N7 i2 E14. The novelist John Steinbeck is mentioned in line 14 because he$ S0 n# T* c7 b3 T- j/ S. U. V
(A) conducted a scientific study on the behavior of ospreys- I" d% d1 w. e, D# x, }
(B) was the first to describe where ospreys built their nests" {2 x% `# W' t3 I1 e. t
(C) described the materials ospreys can use to build their nests5 x7 A  V2 b# q& p  H' j. P
(D) compared the size of osprey nests with the nests of other species9 F  U. y+ e) Z" W# z; [5 R: i- ]
2 a; o3 w& P) C+ w# l
15. Which of the following birds are mentioned as those that build nests that include unusual1 t  g& U" c- q) L0 c  Q
objects?' z- D+ ]3 A( h" t$ K8 m
(A) Ravens# g2 I2 I* F6 G0 i" Y. S7 D
(B) Ospreys' c* r1 |) u; k+ t
(C) Crows8 a# {; m2 l- V, V3 v0 U% x
(D) Sparrowhawks: y. k8 V3 f+ F4 [- k
5 x  n$ q1 `* Q  R
16. According to the passage, when gathering materials to build their nests, sparrowhawks do5 H) D5 b& ~$ P( S
which of the following?7 u; O: E9 F% f) Z& r, x
(A) Hang upside down: \' D: \% k5 Y0 e& f7 x/ \
(B) Select only green twigs5 k, A5 T! T- [  z5 P+ x. C
(C) Use objects blowing in the wind5 Z: a+ f+ P. H# K' x: ~, c
(D) Collect more branches than necessary
: j1 p& o$ o1 B2 D( [8 l( g7 ]
8 p$ m3 q% c( g* g+ z  K  [17. The word "these" in line 20 refers to
4 C& R1 y3 X. z; T7 V(A) golden eagles  q# c. ]( {4 b3 E1 D
(B) generations
% G4 d- ]# g4 v4 s, h(C) winds
7 _* Y% T8 g" Q" A! N(D) nests
( ], N6 W6 w4 u , R0 j# Z# o! z, k, a2 v
18. The word "load" in line 23 is closest in meaning to
+ e( ?. \, [" `7 d, x! i1 o. G3 s. V(A) weight
6 ^  M! C* {' ^4 L; @(B) number
0 @0 Z- v( a. Z& Q& |(C) section
/ y% D6 ^* D8 g! o4 |(D) level
" k. _' @9 U  j, C, W) C- Z
4 S  D# h0 q7 Q$ K8 r7 P19. The author mentions twenty percent in line 23 to indicate that
& ^" V4 \4 _3 w! _(A) eagles are twenty percent bigger than most birds
* H+ r. T7 {& N6 @# e(B) twenty percent of all nests include foundation branches$ f- M4 u- F$ I# r8 g! p2 J* a
(C) the nests of eagles are twenty percent of larger than those of other birds4 d- k  Y% N5 K
(D) birds can carry twenty percent of their own weight
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-10-7 02:15 , Processed in 0.203696 second(s), 23 queries .