QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 202|回复: 2

[历年真题] 托福阅读历年真题精选27

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:35 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Questions 1-10
' E  [% [7 \8 pBy far the most important United States export product in the eighteenth and
: j# z2 V) ]3 R$ ?7 B0 Y% B) i9 Dnineteenth centuries was cotton, favored by the European textile industry over flax or
: D: u8 L7 D! P! X, vwool because it was easy to process and soft to tile touch. Mechanization of spinning
3 ?! Y( B5 U3 Z# jLine and weaving allowed significant centralization and expansion in the textile industry during  q! F" G6 i( B; e
(5)  this period, and at the same time the demand for cotton increased dramatically. American5 y# Y% x, ^) J+ x, E6 ]
producers were able to meet this demand largely because of tile invention of the cotton gin6 j' M) H8 a4 j5 r
by Eli Whitney in 1793. Cotton could be grown throughout the South, but separating the- d8 Q) W3 x8 r! [
fiber---or lint--from the seed was a laborious process. Sea island cotton was relatively* z' \9 R0 m% e# r( M
easy to process by hand, because its fibers were long and seeds were concentrated at the3 U7 x  _4 s$ {7 J2 n, |4 @; }
(10) base of the flower, but it demanded a long growing season, available only along the2 w, e4 `4 B& U1 {, u; E
nation's eastern seacoast. Short-staple cotton required a much shorter growing season,
# s* h. W" F+ b; o+ B9 ?( v- Vbut the shortness of the fibers and their mixture with seeds meant that a worker could: |8 W) d+ a* ^/ c8 I
hand-process only about one pound per day. Whitney's gin was a hand-powered machine* ^. F( M) v! ]3 Q
with revolving drums and metal teeth to pull cotton fibers away from seeds. Using the gin,7 e) J( l  h% M2 [, R; ^
(15) a worker could produce up to '50 pounds of lint a day. The later development of larger
' Z9 B2 L0 d! J, O. A: [$ s/ {gins, powered by horses, water, or steam, multiplied productivity further.( l( q+ ~) a1 r% ~. t+ D
The interaction of improved processing and high demand led to the rapid spread of
+ O% z& x: j6 ]$ v7 Athe cultivation of cotton and to a surge in production. It became the main American
: z% a$ g: u6 ~8 Y  Texport, dwarfing all others. In 1802, cotton composed 14 percent of total American6 X& ]2 E( D6 t2 N: |' X& C+ Y
(20))exports by value. Cotton had a 36 percent share by 1810 and over a 50 percent share( h0 G; F. Z. R' A2 S1 c' [
in 1830. In 1860, 61 percent of the value of American exports was represented by cotton.
1 }6 m5 I$ a) I  r. }) c2 h& OIn contrast, wheat and wheat flour composed only 6 percent of the value of American
( i  V2 A' Y# F$ I* Dexports in that year. Clearly, cotton was king in the trade of the young republic. The1 k* J1 q9 q4 Y0 ^  G
growing market for cotton and other American agricultural products led to an3 s# d2 G* u& {- B- e& w) R1 K
(25) unprecedented expansion of agricultural settlement, mostly in the eastern half of the; x! ~3 r6 F7 v
United States---west of the Appalachian Mountains and east of the Mississippi River.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:36 | 显示全部楼层

托福阅读历年真题精选27

1. The main point of the passage is that the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries were a time when</p>(A) the European textile industry increased its demand for American export products6 i5 ^2 v  n/ O5 {# d, V
(B) mechanization of spinning and weaving dramatically changed the textile industry
# w1 E+ R) V9 b: ~. ~9 e3 r(C) cotton became a profitable crop but was still time-consuming to process- l+ P) b" ~! v# D' ]" z2 ^. [
(D) cotton became the most important American export product8 v" m, j0 k1 i" i+ b- v1 [. z

- Y( H3 q( Q6 D7 E& k$ H, D2. The word "favored" in line 2 is closest in meaning to, R1 R; m# C) c, c
(A) preferred: z: t' Q. t2 h, J3 s( A$ V
(B) recommended2 o4 ?4 P, t2 H
(C) imported
6 w, @9 u3 p$ R3 Z" z' ](D) included
1 g7 N& Z9 c! c- ~; n3 \  r; o
) \/ y0 P; ~/ I( g3 \1 G9 z/ i% T* s3. All of the following are mentioned in the passage as reasons for the increased demand for
6 N' ~0 |# n# |% Pcotton EXCEPT
0 [+ J; z1 u! r. \3 E(A) cotton's softness2 m( A8 o1 d) W
(B) cotton's ease of processing
, U6 j7 ~6 l- P% c(C) a shortage of flax and wool, J2 V; O. e& G, U! A; P. s$ w) M
(D) the growth that occurred in the textile industry.
  h6 S4 w  z: G7 O, I. p8 A' x
8 x* q4 G0 k' N  y  L. Q/ `6 c9 ~4. The word "laborious" in line 8 is closest in meaning to4 P( _' {5 x% P0 H
(A) unfamiliar( U2 }) H/ ]9 ^) P6 {# b
(B) primitive
, p% x" M3 |1 v* M9 I9 H# r(C) skilled- v  ]( F" e3 e
(D) difficult
/ j+ f5 F: H2 L2 J
4 s* {8 S. X/ F& |, J  X7 c, E% _5. According to the passage, one advantage of sea island cotton was its9 h& s6 Y4 i& W; u, W& g+ z! e6 M
(A) abundance of seeds
( u2 ^" Y& h( c% w(B) long fibers
3 e1 d, t' y& z- @(C) long growing season: Y7 w' z+ g! Y& H# j
(D) adaptability to different climates
; G$ T  v2 o+ {; I
' U7 \: C: O% F6. Which of the following can be inferred from the passage about cotton production in the United
# R( a. ]! }3 |. _: O6 i1 M! tStates after the introduction of Whitney's cotton gin?& R9 o$ H1 X( a# [+ A4 G* }
(A) More cotton came from sea island cotton plants than before.
/ z" A- j9 h& a5 I(B) More cotton came from short-staple cotton plants than before.- d; f; X! B; T& C1 k7 C
(C) Most cotton produced was sold domestically.# P4 n4 f( G! m, O$ _
(D) Most cotton produced was exported to England.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:37 | 显示全部楼层

托福阅读历年真题精选27

7. The word "surge" in line 18 is closest in meaning to</p>(A) sharp increase
' t! j! \( {* U) R5 k" }' K(B) sudden stop
) [% ~, ?7 j3 N! x% r7 }(C) important change) G) x. x+ X* S
(D) excess amount
& F) ]8 c: o" N+ `# R
; v4 V5 y  Z+ q4 x( l- j8. The author mentions "wheat and wheat flour" in line 22 in order to
( Z1 i' K, B2 P7 g, T(A) show that Americans exported more agricultural products than they imported.
9 V. [1 o' B( m! U# S(B) show the increase in the amount of wheat products exported.' ~$ ]: T8 d$ G
(C) demonstrate the importance of cotton among American export products.9 Q6 _4 m& f; x' t
(D) demonstrate that wheat farming was becoming more profitable." q( b6 ~6 B, c$ ^4 [

' t  p, A2 C* e& t9. The word "unprecedented" in line 25 is closest in meaning to
8 o( C1 x) O  E) X* F8 X6 e(A) slow
8 c) I1 p& {5 \(B) profitable8 I) F& a: \- ]1 f
(C) not seen before
0 y0 f+ y: Y6 @! h(D) never explained& {0 }- h/ p9 i: U8 n; D+ _

! `& @& |+ S3 w; P, m7 y" K10. According to the passage, the Mississippi River was  \6 R- F9 |$ F, u& S- M
(A) one of the boundaries of a region where new agricultural settlement took place- j- b" @, K, X
(B) a major source of water for agricultural crops
2 i* f/ L' p# M(C) the primary route by which agricultural crops were transported
1 R/ e8 [2 }# M9 X7 s: x( I(D) a main source of power for most agricultural machinery
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-6-6 05:07 , Processed in 0.240732 second(s), 25 queries .