QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 179|回复: 2

[历年真题] 托福阅读历年真题精选25

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:35 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
In eighteenth-century colonial America, flowers and fruit were typically the
( I* [$ Z9 [) n- Bprovince of the botanical artist interested in scientific illustration rather than being - h. ^5 x( H" `$ M! W" ?* T( c
the subjects of fine art. Early in the nineteenth century, however, the Peale family of
& e. ]. Z5 h. ^6 g; PPhiladelphia established the still life, a picture consisting mainly of inanimate ' w) l' l2 s; e; |! ~0 k: F
(5)  objects, as a valuable part of the artist's repertoire. The fruit paintings by James and
1 C& B( z# a9 oSarah Miriam Peale are simple arrangements of a few objects, handsomely colored, ' Z; j3 R: M# O* I& q( W) M
small in size, and representing little more than what they are. In contrast were the & }/ |# B0 ^0 N' I, Z& ]# A& A. C
highly symbolic, complex compositions by Charles Bird King, with their biting + ?% H" z/ y; l% ?& B6 n& b$ }
satire and critical social commentary. Each of these strains comminuted into   and ( @8 u2 @& X0 z- l! m
(10) well past mid-century. 8 |7 A6 |9 n8 b2 M0 Q! p
John F. Francis (1808-86) was a part of the Pennsylvania still-life tradition that
( k% o9 a) X, `$ N9 L! xarose, at least in part, from the work of the Peales. Most of his still lifes date from
0 r( k+ t+ ~8 q. qaround 1850 to 1875. Luncheon Still Life looks like one of the Peales' pieces on a 8 \4 H/ x: |9 C' a0 }3 }  z' v. w
larger scale, kits greater complexity resulting from the number of objects. It is also
1 l, [3 S2 H$ ?7 V6 M! P+ |(15) indebted to the luncheon type of still life found in seventeenth-century Dutch . D) G: d& T, _. x' i7 F9 z2 l
painting. The opened bottles of wine and the glasses of wine partially consumed 9 b2 d0 b" ]0 S% S' x& @
suggest a number of unseen guests. The appeal of the fruit and nuts to our sense of
% l& G8 t' Z) ]) G/ y: T5 Ktaste is heightened by the juicy orange, which has already been sliced.  The
5 ^$ h- B) v: U' D" Earrangement is additive, that is, made up of many different parts, not always 2 i2 k& W2 Y! }* ?) j4 d6 u
(20) compositionally integrated, with all objects of essentially equal importance.
/ ~9 V, |1 A6 [, I; E* }About 1848, Severin Roesen came to the United States from Germany and  
4 o8 w6 r3 `$ ~settled in New York City, where he began to paint large, lush still lifes of flowers,  : W  H& i: E& e+ W+ Y/ M2 p
fruit, or both, often measuring over four feet across. Still Life with Fruit and * t( l- O, }4 q1 W% M
Champagne is typical in its brilliance of color, meticulous rendering of detail,  7 Y3 b7 M+ q& k" E
(25) compact composition, and unabashed abundance. Rich in symbolic overtones, the  4 x3 _6 @- `8 G+ Y! l
beautifully painted objects carry additional meanings------butterflies or fallen buds  ( M% N! D5 j8 d+ }1 X6 o
suggest the impermanence of life, a bird's nest with eggs means fertility, and so on.  9 _/ C1 d: |1 h! h  `
Above all, Roesen's art expresses the abundance that America symbolized to many of its citizens.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:36 | 显示全部楼层

托福阅读历年真题精选25

31.  What does the passage mainly discuss? </p>(A)  The artwork of James and Sarah Miriam Peale
1 b2 M4 |8 l8 r(B)  How Philadelphia became a center for art in the nineteenth century $ C% x5 y: C8 ?. D; P" F! R
(C)  Nineteenth-century still-life paintings in the United States
! n9 U" M" I& ^$ S& D(D)  How botanical art inspired the first still-life paintings $ T( B$ J+ l- w
6 K( Q$ p6 f- E& A
32.  Which of the following is mentioned as a characteristic of the still lifes of James and Sarah Miriam Peale? : [" m' J2 _) w7 Q' A
(A)  Simplicity
2 N' k2 G/ N0 J0 q9 \5 `" `* r# w(B)  Symbolism
9 L& |+ K5 U3 X* c) u(C)  Smooth texture 1 |7 B; L. \  [* w; l4 p$ N) C: N
(D)  Social commentary 6 K& u) F$ E* h0 U

! A* h% Q2 t$ n) H  x33.  The word "biting" in line 8 is closest in meaning to 1 q- @( E; f: X' j1 q* T* m1 F6 l- P
(A)  simple$ @/ v' b  M4 x7 D% d
(B)  sorrowful
# w  g; ?- r# k' b9 g1 _(B)  frequent
4 D! Y3 P# r+ o; @  y(D)  sharp  
- \, c/ F) {8 `) T2 A  o% q1 L3 n
9 K+ c& E! e5 Q" O# g  P3 @5 T34.  The word "It" in line 14 refers to 0 P2 ^4 O+ e' q# D
(A)  Luncheon Still Life
  K/ X! g, q) |) N0 V9 S(B)  one of the Peales' pieces
/ a: ?, o5 E& l( ?(C)  a larger scale
# J1 K7 s8 m7 H0 l8 M! D  p. F(D)  the number of objects  
5 j1 p  _3 |, R$ P3 s0 }5 h 1 |( i: m; M( ]7 m" N2 X
35.  The word "heightened" in line 18 is closest in meaning to
& F  k) E! @* X6 g- @4 W7 G(A)  complicated / O. _* b6 ]+ o
(B)  directed
* x2 L* ]% Z$ V3 g5 U- q* s(C)  observed  
) z  L6 \1 V+ R(D)  increased ( R6 I* a- g- A4 t1 w

8 i& w! E0 Z0 W36.  The word "meticulous" in line 24 is closest in meaning to
& w) O( i" c2 v/ ~5 f(A)  careful
1 k- T' P1 O5 ]+ d, X(B)  significant 7 e. x1 N( R% w
(C)  appropriate
3 u. ~* s3 L; H& T& {% D8 d(D)  believable
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:37 | 显示全部楼层

托福阅读历年真题精选25

37.  Which of the following terms is defined in the passage? </p>(A)  "repertoire" (line 5) ' w* m, @) z/ H5 E4 D
(B)  "satire" (line 9)
, r1 t8 Q6 T" _5 B(C)  "additive" (line 19) 2 D4 s) f: \% Y: y9 B
(D)  "rendering" (line 24) ! q! R! G% m) v# V

0 n4 e( u- e8 W38.  All of the following are mentioned as characteristics of Roesen's still lifes EXCEPT that they 8 R+ E& V8 x$ f
(A)  are symbolic
4 h+ `$ f( o: q4 S; R' U/ W(B)  use simplified representations of flowers and fruit
4 U1 ?1 T; W/ r$ W* Y3 y2 J(C)  include brilliant colors / b9 ]. |# `) J# I  o* e
(D)  are large in size
3 ]2 g3 ]( O( R- N0 i% Y ( k4 D8 `5 V5 V) t. i
39.  Which of the following  is mentioned  as the dominant theme in Roesen's painting?
) P! Y2 G" Q2 I0 o(A)  Fertility
6 I5 c3 s( ^4 A9 u: Q* x5 ^# L  i& g1 n(B)  Freedom
( m4 x( s: Z2 N+ ~7 t(C)  Impermanence
5 [7 M9 Y( ?& c) \3 y* Q(D)  Abundance
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-23 18:18 , Processed in 0.248047 second(s), 25 queries .