立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 122|回复: 1

[历年真题] 托福阅读历年真题精选34

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:35 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
The wide variety of climates in North America has helped spawn a complex pattern of' D" G. k. a) G4 p  a( G# R: V
    soil regions. In general, the realm’s soils also reflect the broad environmental partitioning
+ j3 I0 ?$ d6 J( @( Y$ t' i    into “humid America” and “arid America.” Where annual precipitation exceeds 20 inches
2 b' @& o6 a8 ~" D# n& x' Y! V(50 centimeters),soils in humid areas tend to be acidic in chemical content, Since crops . x8 e9 o( R, @3 V5 i/ y
(5 ) do best in soils that are neither acidic(higher in acid content) nor alkaline(higher in salt content).fertilization is necessary to achieve the desired level of neutrality between the
1 p+ X4 Y6 k$ y+ G7 T4 d    two. Arid America’s soils are typically alkaline and must be fertilized back toward* E+ Q" F" A: L
    neutrality by adding acidic compounds. Although many of these dryland soils, particularly  d3 `" |7 B, o2 n
    in the Great Plains, are quite fertile, European settlers learned over a century ago that * Z8 Q( L- J# s' B) ^
(10) water is the main missing ingredient in achieving their agricultural potential. In the ' e- X) u1 Z3 ]  w2 D; `; g$ |" G: ~
1970’s, certain irrigation methods were perfected and finally provided a real opportunity
4 Y- n+ a: L4 U2 i: w0 D5 \    to expand more intensive farming west from the Central Lowland into the drier portions$ i1 c2 F7 ?  S( ?* u& a+ O
    of the Great Plains. Glaciation also enhanced the rich legacy of fertile soils in the central6 k* _  `* h5 `" L0 `5 c" Y. g7 b! \
    United States,both from the deposition of mineral-rich glacial debris left by meltwater
" j2 Y6 z: s" Q(15) and from thick layers of fine wind-blown glacial material, called loess, in and around the
" ?9 `+ q7 i" a4 J: [6 t# }    middle Mississippi Valley.
0 A% E/ e' X- u% [! i- |       Natural vegetation patterns could be displayed on a map of North America, but the
& B7 W3 n* y4 O. z& V8 F    enormous human modification of the North American environment in modern times has8 @' X% e. H9 W5 [% }, F' S
    all but reduced this regionalization scheme to the level of the hypothetical. Nonetheless,, b- e0 t4 l& O6 m
(20) the humid America-arid America dichotomy is still a valid generalization: the natural   j) ?9 K( Q2 _6 v
vegetation of areas receiving more than 20 inches of water yearly is forest, whereas the
! n- q' r6 G) W8 g" r. B0 R# r    drier climates give rise to a grassland cover. The forests of North America tent to make% p2 M/ z" H  {7 i/ C" }
    a broad transition by latitude. In the Canadian North, needle-leaf forests dominate, but ! m4 z+ G6 i8 @. b2 `
these coniferous trees become mixed with broadleaf deciduous trees as one crosses the
) P3 u" h6 v/ P" z' I. C(25) border into the Northeast United States. As one proceeds toward the Southeast, broadleaf vegetation becomes dominant. Arid America mostly consists of short-grass prairies or
" y) p5 r6 p  n0 n* E$ R0 Y    stepper. The only areas of true desert are in the Southwest.
: k6 K1 S: j' L/ s, C , ~8 k' x4 w$ @+ W. _# e
21 What aspect of North America does the passage mainly discuss?# p" q0 o. y8 a8 x1 Z. X  g
(A)   The wide variety of climates
: X8 M( A8 n8 L(B)   Soil types and vegetation patterns
9 v/ E( H% Q  s- o9 K& `(C)   Improved irrigation methods and the expansion of agriculture
* E4 ]4 }( t6 w# K* Q7 M(D)   The change in precipitation patterns
- R# M( g+ ?6 U5 F$ D. ]" ~5 C3 ^22 The word “spawn ” in line 1 is closest in meaning to 3 U" k4 h# ?' ^! U2 J
(A)   distinguish6 y' i# ]! Y+ m/ N8 Q
(B)   eliminate+ i) D: R6 E6 ?/ T
(C)   protect
/ x, U6 e" a- u0 Y9 u+ L" G6 f(D)   create
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:36 | 显示全部楼层

托福阅读历年真题精选34

23 The word “partitioning” in line 2 is closest in meaning to </p>(A)   division
2 Y) |: F9 c) I# }(B)   modification
: z# z/ V. p7 J% B(C)   opening
% U: h4 T+ Q5 i/ v(D)   circulating
( T7 U8 j4 M; Z* E3 N( k" W5 y24 According to the passage, acidic soils tent to be associated with
0 L' Y2 }, E: B/ j" T% p(A)   a high salt content
* W0 M* j( C3 N(B)   an increase in farming
7 m+ f$ K5 W( t- w(C)   large amounts of rain
, Q% D3 n' K. c8 u! z8 U7 S, z(D)   glacial meltwater/ H& a% ?& i0 B# |! F
25 The word “enhanced” in line 13 is closest in meaning to
9 F8 G) x9 ?/ l  e) K(A)   implied! p$ Z/ \8 K5 h& l( m7 c  A
(B)   increased9 v' n9 \, H, |0 l: o- |
(C)   indicated$ I+ x: }6 A  d- I! a( V
(D)   informed
1 M+ V. `  }# T0 Z5 w26 How did glacial meltdown affect the soil in North America?
, s; z' \) f0 c( \(A)   It redistributed the soil types7 ^! J% x6 z9 F0 c
(B)   It added salt to the soil4 \7 N2 I9 `6 e
(C)   It made the soil more neutral in content
6 q/ T. d: k" x; y, i(D)   It added minerals to the soil) M2 D% x2 z, V' `( k* D7 E- @
27 The phrase “this regionalization scheme” in line 19 refers to the
  d0 b: b% O2 t% x' X2 h(A)   movements of glacial deposits' a$ ]5 T* x& T8 |1 y7 {1 F$ ]
(B)   patterns of natural vegetation/ w5 Y4 F5 y4 z& m5 T( A! V
(C)   human modification of the North American environment" x: q  H2 g9 t# B
(D)   distinction between humid America and arid America
8 ^4 m; [+ S" a2 ^ % f: U2 L0 P0 S
28 The word “transition” in line 23 is closest in meaning to # C& q' Y: n  P- x9 M: _+ u
(A)   elevation5 d7 d3 f, s) t' d) @
(B)   change" k2 t5 P8 ?. c; o/ m0 j
(C)   advantage
$ K$ B; C9 H5 z  t& _- X(D)   condition% r" A/ ?- A9 S' r6 r" c
29 The passage supports which of the following statements?  _# i# ]( ]' j( w
(A)   Arid America is not necessarily characterized by the presence of deserts
1 q3 k/ F$ F6 Z6 c(B)   Most of Canada and the northeastern United States consists of short-grass prairies wherever natural vegetation has not been modified by humans
2 h+ J, t4 @' @- f# h(C)   The accumulation of loess is primarily the result of irrigation
; a- |4 s- L; \, V! c0 }; g(D)   Glaciation removed the fertile layer of soil from much of the Mississippi Valley
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-23 18:43 , Processed in 0.311090 second(s), 23 queries .