立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 163|回复: 1

[历年真题] 托福阅读历年真题精选32

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:35 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
If food is allowed to stand for some time, it putrefies .When the putrefied material
3 W- [  H5 k% N  P6 dis examined microscopically ,it is found to be teeming with bacteria. Where do these 6 E1 ?0 U/ Y+ B1 X
bacteria come from , since they are not seen in fresh food? Even until the mid-nineteenth 6 p5 u+ S" X" Z' `9 }
century, many people believed that such microorganisms originated by spontaneous( V0 \: o  X+ a8 Q1 U( [
(5 ) generation ,a hypothetical process by which living organisms develop from nonliving
2 Q7 o7 B* j+ A# H+ |5 Zmatter.
. U0 H( z. ]3 f7 WThe most powerful opponent of the theory of spontaneous generation was the French chemist and microbiologist Louis Pasteur(1822-1895).Pasteur showed that structures
" B6 u6 a# h& B1 Z% {- n( }. }present in air closely resemble the microorganisms seen in putrefying materials .He did ) ^% S( `( {# [" v1 M- p
(10) this by passing air through guncotton filters, the fibers of which stop solid particles. After
9 |7 P1 z: k. t! U& V: pthe guncotton was dissolved in a mixture of alcohol and ether, the particles that it had
% D' S3 L* x" Ltrapped fell to the bottom of the liquid and were examined on a microscope slide .Pasteur
, n( `- Y) H4 [: L; i' _7 o& ]) Ffound that in ordinary air these exists a variety of solid structures ranging in size from $ Q, j5 k+ F/ W1 ^+ ?% n! r+ f! }, n) E
0.01 mm to more than 1.0 mm .Many of these bodies resembled the reproductive
( a3 E1 a5 j8 j( W) J(15)structures of common molds, single-celled animals, and various other microbial cells .5 M: ?6 l3 y" a0 s( o/ a
As many as 20 to 30 of them were found in fifteen liters of ordinary air ,and they could+ y0 {7 l; N) Q$ V, j+ s' P1 w5 D
not be distinguished from the organisms found in much larger numbers in putrefying materials .Pasteur concluded that the organisms found in putrefying materials originated6 d2 {  ~( G) l! q9 H
    from the organized bodies present in the air .He postulated that these bodies are constantly2 ^; k% y: W: u  Y
(20)being deposited on all objects.2 c2 z- Q5 O* H6 j
Pasteur showed that if a nutrient solution was sealed in a glass flask and heated to
! E3 l  W3 k( _; rboiling to destroy all the living organisms contaminating it, it never putrefied .The proponents of spontaneous generation declared that fresh air was necessary for $ B  Y+ n3 x8 j+ V& j
spontaneous generation and that the air inside the sealed flask was affected in some way
$ B% W& b3 m2 q; k5 \0 @(25)by heating so that it would no longer support spontaneous generation. Pasteur constructed a swan-necked flask in which putrefying materials could he heated to boiling, but air
9 Y6 o# J+ Q2 u1 r+ r: bcould reenter. The bends in the neck prevented microorganisms from getting in the flask.. Material sterilized in such a flask did not putrefy.) n8 w) v. o! G# |

, m4 X; R& d9 j9 O% L8 h, ^  `1,What does the passage mainly discuss?
( B. D6 X8 F* g4 q  V(a)Pasteur’s influence on the development of the microscope.
5 M$ }7 u+ t0 A: t; b, C(b)The origin of the theory of spontaneous generation .
2 o8 |2 \1 B" ], q1 c/ J; b(c)The effects of pasteurization on food.3 e! @  v6 o! }/ a" K- d
(d)Pasteur’s argument against the theory of spontaneous generation .
+ ?) A7 n* |! y2,The phrase “teeming with ”in line 2 is closest in meaning to
( T! H% N$ y0 m3 ~(a)full of) c. N) e6 w0 m( o
(b)developing into8 c* b1 _% t0 G- n# F3 y; G
(c)resistant to
- b) A% s8 A4 p(d)hurt by
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-8-14 22:34:36 | 显示全部楼层

托福阅读历年真题精选32

3,Which of the following questions did the theory of spontaneous generation attempt to answer?</p>(a)What is the origin of the living organisms are seen on some food?
% n" |* x0 N+ X! E: O+ m! P(b)How many types of organisms can be found on food?
8 Z' v" H6 H; Y3 F0 E(c)What is the most effective way to prepare living organisms for microscopic examination?
2 k/ t( k) Q) M2 Q! t$ {2 x4 l2 U1 n2 W(d)How long can food stand before it putrefies?
: x7 h9 `# U$ T" L4,The word “resemble” in line 9 is closest in meaning to# T( ~6 H6 M, h
(a)benefit from8 B$ h1 A+ W/ R4 k2 R" n( R" L' T
(b)appear similar to" N3 o8 i- r' }) h2 O( f
(c)join together with
1 X/ x" P- C( k# }(d)grow from
  U1 C) _7 u: d& w5,The purpose of the “guncotton” mentioned in paragraph 2 was to
1 W+ l+ \' b6 l+ K  n(a)trap particles for analysis; Y- m8 [: P. d$ n. ?* ?, [. [+ z5 G
(b)slow the process of putrefaction; I: ^; z, O% v& {4 f5 Y4 V
(c)increase the airflow to the microscopic slide5 t& t( ]8 H% H$ C7 M
(d)aid the mixing of alcohol and ether# W2 U# c: S6 z
6,The author mention “1.0mm”in line 14 in describing the 6 V: u/ L  d! X# r& }: @1 L9 w
(a)thickness of a layer of organisms that was deposited on an object
1 E6 O3 I  A" R; @' t(b)diameter of the fibers that were in the guncotton filters
* ?: b1 D5 u) O4 V, f+ G(c)thickness of the microscope slides that were used
& v/ j4 C9 I6 p" c+ e# p% M4 J* _. Q1 M(d)size of the particles that that were collected6 M- [2 I2 W# }- b
7 K/ C5 Y5 h5 l; U7 e
7.The word “postulated”in line 19 is closest in meaning to
4 ?3 x" U2 X/ d(a)analyzed/ m9 d7 b5 S- j5 t
(b)doubted
. R/ K" d0 A+ V3 O2 {(c)persuaded
; z  a" V  i( c* m- N8 a(d)suggested$ Q. |- n1 @( X3 f
8.The objects that Pasteut removed from the air in his experiment were remarkable because they were; s! U- e  a# r
(a)primarily single-celled organisms2 \4 U! m7 c; Q* P5 Y, t+ G8 K7 S
(b)no different from objects found in putrefying materials. _$ Z1 R4 x; ?% z+ q
(c)fairly rare- ^0 [+ O, P3 A  K
(d)able to live in a mixture of alcohol and ether) ^- d! A1 R7 G) V* y6 y/ {
9.The word “it” in line 22 refers to
+ W1 E, ]7 X& E8 T2 H( G(a)a nutrient solution) x7 U* Y5 b7 I1 R
(b)a glass flask
) H8 r2 v, R& s* W$ M8 r, w; I(c)boiling
. c4 Z9 a. r- n; j(d)spontaneous generation
- W6 A4 c& V. y. H; g10.According to paragraph 3,proponents of spontaneous generation believed that which of the following was important for the process to succeed ?5 }4 O) \/ }9 l  K0 [
(a)A sealed container
  N6 W0 z7 Y0 q% M5 m% A  ]' i(b)Fresh air
3 {7 s; y* i. w: T7 T5 h(c)Heat. d( M# R. Q# L( f0 n$ O
(d)The presence of nutrients
" q* a* t7 R/ O0 s9 {" G11.It can be inferred from paragraph 3 that Pasteur employed a swam-necked flask to5 l/ q' n, Q4 O3 @
(a)store sterilized liquids for use in future experiments* ^- f$ n  D6 j, X* n6 t
(b)prevent heat from building up in a solution
7 W. h* J" I2 g(c)disprove a criticism of his conclusions
; [2 r* e2 _! K; y( r(d)estimate the number of organisms in a liter of air
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-10-7 02:30 , Processed in 1.150765 second(s), 23 queries .